• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis for alcoholism..?

It's extremely dangerous and foolish of people to use cannabis, hash, oil, wax, etc. for DIY withdrawal from alcohol and benzos instead of getting help from a medical professional.

I think what Priest is trying to say is "when individuals with no direct training in the matter attempt to find withdrawal aids on their own they stand an increased chance at relapse and if certain substances are abused it can even be a life threatening matter" I personally think cannabis helped my recovery greatly... seconded only by the methadone clinic and support network i had created through the clinic and my family. Sure smoking weed, especially in vast over abundance at first, gave me the distraction i needed to put heroin and needles further away from my mind at first. Once it became clear that I was not in the same situation I was at all the amount of smoking plummeted and is continuing to with each day, from 3-5g smoked a day to 0-1g (i smoke daily but sometimes one joint with a friend i am not required to put into) which i feel is extremely manageable and almost "less then average"

I would never suggest that someone switch to a drug that will impair judgement and for some that is cannabis. For me personally it was the "methadone clinic reverted back to stoner "neo-hippy esk" thing that i use to be before hard drugs" that allowed me to rediscover who i was prior and fall back in love with myself.

I would never apply my life to someone elses as my experiences are always far from the norm but I think with people who follow my patterns as far as who they are, weed + clinic can be better then any one of them alone.

I have a friend who eased the cravings of his alcoholism with weed and it worked for about a year. But when he and his girlfriend broke up, he ended up back at the bottle. I think it can work for some people but everyone is different. I know a guy who actually fights his alcoholism with meditation and it actually works for him. Different strokes.

I find myself wanting to have a drink when I've had a smoke and vice versa (usually the former), as if it "gets me in the mood" or something like that. However I believe this is because I've always drank and developed the habit of doing both together - my brain associating one with the other. On the other hand when I smoke it definitely slows down how much I'm drinking and I get my desired "sleepy effect" at night for getting to sleep. I plan on using (probably more than I already do:\) as a crutch when I stop drinking completely with help of anta-buse. THEN gradually cut down the weed. Pricey but better for ma health though I admit to smoking more than I'd like already. But to be frank alcohol in my opinion is the most underrated dangerous drug there is (I say as I sip my can) and I'd say cannabis is the safest alternative there is and very easy in the grand scale of things to taper down from. So yes I think it could be very useful as a distraction.