• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis Combos and Heart Rate

Jimi Thing

Bluelighter
I've been browsing this site for a while now and something recently struck me as odd. Why is it that when some someone asks about combining an upper like Adderall or Meth with something else that raises your heart rate (like DXM, Coke, or E) people say "NO don't do that, you're heart will explode!" (or at least advise the person to exercise extreme caution), but combining literally anything with Cannabis is generally considered to be safe, when in reality weed can raise your heart rate just as much or more than any of these drugs.

Also, why is it that when talking about the health risks associated with cannabis, the accelerated heart rate issue is rarely discussed? Am I missing something here? Does weed affect the heart in a different or less harmful way than other drugs?

Your heart rate usually isn't directly effected and increased while under the effects of cannabis. It is usually anxiety and other things that makes your heart rate rise. The cannabis its self isn't raising it to dangerous levels as other drugs would, like say cocaine or adderall.
And i know how cannabis isn't really dangerous to mix with anything how ever i remember it being said that cannabis + cocaine isn't a good combo to do together. I think i read it on this site or maybe google, but i have done it countless times and i know friends that always smoke weed on coke. I would think its very large amounts of coke they are talking about.

Cannabis DOES in fact raise blood pressure and heart rate, it is misinformation and myth that causes people to think it is COMPLETELY safe, while it doesn't raise it to the rate that a classical stimulant does, it does cause cardiovascular increase, it is contraindicted in those with blood pressure and heart problems and they have even started putting interaction warnings on medicines like pseudoephedrine and afrin that it will interact with cannabis medications possibly causing your heart rate and blood pressure to rise too high too quickly, it has also been found that in the first hour after using cannabis that your risk for a heart attack or stroke is 5 times higher than it was before using cannabis, while it is for the most part one of the safest drugs it is not without it's own risks. so yes I would be cautious combining it with stimulants, lots of people do everyday and have no problem but someone with heart problems could theoretically have problems using cannabis alone much less combined with a stimulant which could cause unknown amounts of problems in people with undetected cardiovascular and blood pressure issues, also the this pharmacological aspect of cannabis is not too widely known and investigated, I'm am pretty sure that there have been cases of heart problems, cardiac arrest, and stroke, that was attributed soley to ones preexisting health where cannabis could have played a direct role yet no one thought to bring up it's use as it's still considered "SOOO SAFE", and while cannabis is one of the Safest medicines in the world, like everything else it does have it's risks and there are situations in which it's not right nor healthy for EVERYONE to use.
B

Weed has always made my heart race during the first 5-10 minutes after smoking it, but about an hour later my pulse is significantly lower, even more so than my regular heartbeat. But it does not feel harsh like it would if you were taking stims.

Cannabis DOES in fact raise blood pressure and heart rate, it is misinformation and myth that causes people to think it is COMPLETELY safe, while it doesn't raise it to the rate that a classical stimulant does, it does cause cardiovascular increase, it is contraindicted in those with blood pressure and heart problems and they have even started putting interaction warnings on medicines like pseudoephedrine and afrin that it will interact with cannabis medications possibly causing your heart rate and blood pressure to rise too high too quickly, it has also been found that in the first hour after using cannabis that your risk for a heart attack or stroke is 5 times higher than it was before using cannabis, while it is for the most part one of the safest drugs it is not without it's own risks. so yes I would be cautious combining it with stimulants, lots of people do everyday and have no problem but someone with heart problems could theoretically have problems using cannabis alone much less combined with a stimulant which could cause unknown amounts of problems in people with undetected cardiovascular and blood pressure issues, also the this pharmacological aspect of cannabis is not too widely known and investigated, I'm am pretty sure that there have been cases of heart problems, cardiac arrest, and stroke, that was attributed soley to ones preexisting health where cannabis could have played a direct role yet no one thought to bring up it's use as it's still considered "SOOO SAFE", and while cannabis is one of the Safest medicines in the world, like everything else it does have it's risks and there are situations in which it's not right nor healthy for EVERYONE to use.
B

Seconded.

Pot is one of the worst things for me when it comes to raising heart rate, not to mention this is one of its well-documented side effects. Most people don't realize it's happening, but those of us who do know it all too well. For me, it's the rapid heart rate that CAUSES the anxiety, not the other way around.

I've read that mixing coke with weed is especially dangerous, though I'm sure any stimulant/pot combo could be bad.

Pot is one of the worst things for me when it comes to raising heart rate, not to mention this is one of its well-documented side effects. Most people don't realize it's happening, but those of us who do know it all too well. For me, it's the rapid heart rate that CAUSES the anxiety, not the other way around.

I've read that mixing coke with weed is especially dangerous, though I'm sure any stimulant/pot combo could be bad.

My heart is also the very first thing I notice before I even feel the sedation smoking cannibus.

I also have high blood pressure that is well managed, and weed almost caused me to stroke one day at a period when I did not have a diagnosis of hypertension. The anxiety did not allow me to calm down, and my heart got up to 200 bpm. I hit a max blood pressure of 200/160.

I had several different sedatives pumped into my IV that night, and refuse to smoke cannibus unless I have my blood pressure medication and a GABA- PAM sedative on hand.

I am one who just cannot smoke weed by itself.

Im not sure about the effects of marijuana or any form of THC on the heart rate. i know smoking anything raises your heart rate, even if you smoke a piece of paper with nothing in it. but as for the THC i have no idea.

I used to smoke around 7-10 grams of good cannabis with 1 or 2 other people daily for about 4 years in the form of 8 to 10 blunts a day. it used to make me really chill, relaxed etc.

Then after i started slamming Dilaudid, OxyContin, and Oxy IR, weed started giving me full fledged panic attacks within 100 seconds of thee first few inhalation. my heart raced, i started sweating, my blood pressure shot up thru the roof, i was nervous beyond any social anxiety i have ever felt. i have no idea what caused this change but i can tell you that it started exactly when i began to inject opiates. what the physiological causes of it are i cannot say. to this day i still can not smoke my beloved blunts, and every time i have tried has resulted in the same burst of anxiety. This is particuraly strange to me since weed once made me feel so relaxed. who knows ?

Well if you are a opiate user, weed is gonna eventually be your worst enemy.

Opiates decrease your overall GABA level in your brain. This is part of how you eventually become tolerant to to the CNS depression of the opiates you take.

GABA is our major depressive neurotransmitter. Weed also lowers your overall GABA level.

Here is the thing...
...Since opiates are a depressant in themselves, you still feel great when you mix them with cannibus. But, when you smoke weed without opiates in your system, you have no depressant in your system and your GABA level is still lower than normal and the weed slows the production of GABA as well.

So, weed makes you very paranoid, and this will cause severe anxiety.

im not sure i understand i understand what you mean but ill take your word for it. i actually have a bottle of GABA right next to me that i bought once for depression but never took any of it. i have felt the weed anxiety when actively using opiates like i now, and have felt it on rare times when i weened off for a week or two to lower my tolerance

i've had my heart pumping like crazy after smoking weed while on coke

of course i would relate it to:

- large amounts of weed or coke
- weed potentiated by alcohol
- potent weed
- low tolerance to weed
- and of course anxiety plays an important role in this

i would NOT recommend smoking weed on coke (specially the first 45 mins)... if you have good coke you shouldnt need anything else... and you dont feel the effect from other drugs also, i would say the coke induced euphoria tends to "win"

weed could very likely intensify the anxiety of a coke come-down... for me thats what almost always happens... the same way smoking weed while peaking on mdma increases the chances of crushing (for me)

What is the most recommendable weed, so to say? Go to Holland, in a coffee shop, no beer. Really, I wanna know.
I´m always surprised with my trips while on weed, always get these effects..

Opiates decrease your overall GABA level in your brain. This is part of how you eventually become tolerant to to the CNS depression of the opiates you take.

GABA is our major depressive neurotransmitter. Weed also lowers your overall GABA level.

Here is the thing...
...Since opiates are a depressant in themselves, you still feel great when you mix them with cannibus. But, when you smoke weed without opiates in your system, you have no depressant in your system and your GABA level is still lower than normal and the weed slows the production of GABA as well.

What´s the options then??

Here is the thing...

That´s real quality info right there..

Please also have it noted that there is a HUGE difference to most people in reactions to the 2 different types of cannabis (there is a 3rd but that isn't relevant) being "Indica" & "Sativa" , further information online will go into better detail to save me typing a wall of text but in my personal experience (MS Medical user of cannabis for years) an Indica is what I require for relief and sleep whereas a Sativa is much more "up" and will almost certainly raise my heart rate considerably for a while, this seems to be a common analysis amongst myself and my friends so though I would chime in a litte, the not knowing which strain or type of weed you have is the most common reason for the classic "whitey", hit with a strong Sativa when you are used to Indica will be a seriously different experience...... combining that reaction with other drugs will I guess have a knock on effect.

I find personally it is only a Sativa that will give me any feelings of anxiety of paranoia, I have been a long term user (12 years or so), and regularly mix with opiates + benzo's depending on severity of pain levels.

Much Love.

Very interesting. So there is an alternative for Cannabis, and Indica is the way. Only available for medical purpose, he?

weed sometimes makes my heart race. i noticed it a lot when i had started smoking weed and it wasn't an habit. as said before i'd feel it even before the high had kicked in.

also, i'd never smoke weed on stimulants, wtf, that does not sound like fun at all imo

Precisely the heart race stats before it kicks in and from what I searched there is not Indica available. Maybe it has something to do with the THC level, I heard it has increased a lot from past years. It used to be 2-3%, nowadays it´s over 20%. Who knows?
I miss the good old feeling of the body relax.. instead of the rush of mind, euphoria and hear rush.

Very interesting. So there is an alternative for Cannabis, and Indica is the way. Only available for medical purpose, he?

Erikmen, if you don't mind me asking (be vague if you wish) where abouts in the world are you located? I only ask as to be able to best advise on the likelyhood of decent Indica being available to you.

Well "Indica" is itself a type/variation of cannabis, it comes in both Indica and Sativa natively however nowadays strain banks cross breed the pair for hybrids and make thier own strains. To provide a brief explanation:

You will likely have had both types of weed and almost certainly a hybrid (most common form around), Indica, native to places like Afghanistan Morrocco etc has thick bushy leaves like a maple leaf and the effect on you is more body orientated than head, you get "stoned" rather than "high", more of a behind the eyeball feeling and a whole body laziness and couchlock feeling (I'm sure you have experienced this).

A Sativa has long thing serrated leaves when growing and takes significantly longer to come to flower, the effect of a Sativa is a very heady rush and a complete "high" with a heavy head buzz, possible dizziness (for me it produces anxiety, fast heart rate and occasional paranoia) etc but no real body laziness effect, (most people recreationally will use a sativa during the day and an indica at night), generally when it comes to pain relief, appetite stimulation and insomnia you would almost certainly choose an Indica strain (or an indica dominant hybrid) as this will do the job nicely.

This is where all the strain names you hear come into play, if the names are correct you can check up exactly what you are going to get, to provide an example nearly everywhere in the world now various variety's of "Cheese" are available, these TEND to lean towards the indica scale more than sativa however this isnt always the case as certain breeders cross breed for the effect they want, cheack out websites like "Nuggetry" and "Leafly" to read more about strains.

You have no idea how many people have told me simply "weed just isnt for me, whitey out every time and I hate it" and then if I am lucky enough to persuade someone to try again specifically giving them a 100% Indica plant they always have a completely different experience and generally this changes thier views, I have created many a stoner this way!

Medical isn't the only way to get it, most street dealers will have mixes of sativas and indicas or sometimes 100% of each but the problem is most of the customer base doesn't care about what they are getting therefor most dealers don't bother to learn about their product.

I've been a hardcore daily weed smoker for over 12 years now and will still whitey out (greening out, ghosty, it has various names) on a strong Sativa, shit just isn't for me but I will take heroic amounts of Indica dominant weed daily as it helps incredibly with my muscle spasms and other issues related to my MS.

The main problem nowadays is the illegality of it in most places, stops this real information being spread correctly....this is why in medical legal states there are dispensaries with trained advisors there to recommend the correct strain for your problems, there will be a huge amount of people on this board with in depth knowledge of weed also however if anyone has any questions on this particular thread please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer, misinformation is the enemy nowadays!