• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis Based Terror

F3nk

Greenlighter
So, I have a problem that will probably be more than a little bit foreign to many of you, I have a fear of my friends smoking weed. This isn't like something where I have been around them when they have smoked, and they start doing something strange, this is a straight up phobia. Earlier today, my friends and I decided to go to a concert on Friday, and several members of the group opted to pre-game. All of the sudden, I've started having panic attacks where I can't do anything but picture all of the ways it could go wrong, even though the rational part of my mind knows nothing will go wrong. Has anyone here had an experience where they had a phobia of a friend or loved one getting high? If so, what did you do? If not, any ideas on how to get rid of it? Note: I do have to be driving, so no benzos for me.

Did someone you know have legal troubles with cannabis or drugs recently? It just seems your worried about your friends and care for their safety. It sounds perfectly fine imo just remind yourself it won't happen and if it does you'll work everything out and get through. Easier said than done, but possible.

Mind over matter is very true in this situation for you.

The weird thing is that the last time something happened involving cannabis and my family, it was many years ago, and has long since passed. And thank you for the vote of confidence.

It sounds like something thats purely mental and will go away if you work at it. I am a little confused though so just clarify something, you are sober and experiencing this fear just because they plan on getting high?

If that is the case you just gotta calm down. Depending on where you are the risks can be slim. The only real scary outcome is an encounter with the police but that shouldnt be something to destroy you mentally. You just need to find a way to separate yourself from the idea, the act of smoking weed can be over in 10-30 minutes so its not even going to be a large part of the evening it sounds like. Just remind yourself its not like your friends are planning a true crime, theres no need to be overly paranoid, you and everyone will be fine, but you already know that :)

Did someone you know have legal troubles with cannabis or drugs recently? It just seems your worried about your friends and care for their safety. It sounds perfectly fine imo just remind yourself it won't happen and if it does you'll work everything out and get through. Easier said than done, but possible.

Mind over matter is very true in this situation for you.

Do this.

If it really gets bad before the concert, just take a walk before people start smoking and come back when they're done.

You need to learn to control your breathing and etc...be more relaxed in a way if you know nothing is gonna happen and your mind is fucking with our or take a puff but i can relate to this phobia.....in time you will learn nobody gives a fuck unless they want to make a profit off ya (i.e cops) but try breathing and relaxing

So you get panic attacks because other people might smoke?

You're either trolling or Nancy Reagan.

Either way, you should probably educate yourself about cannabis--the most dangerous part is the law prohibiting it. You're creating this entire situation in your head, and if it's seriously affecting you this much, you should talk to a doctor because it's straight up ridiculous.

Felonous that was quite a negative and critical way to look at the situation.... This person is concerned for their friends safety what's wrong with that? Of course their overreaction leads to anxiety, but it's not like that's easy to control.... Not many are zen masters.

BJC you're just out of line all there is RI say

But if the thought of his friends doing a generally non-toxic activity precipitates a clinic level of anxiety, then OP will have serious anxiety issues going forward as he and his friends confront bigger issues in life than just occasional cannabis use.

My point is that having a debilitating level of anxiety about what someone else is doing can be a genuine clinical issue, and the exact nature of the activity is really less important than the point of being so anxious. Even if their friends are doing IV heroin OP shouldn't be freaking out like he's their mother.

Even if their friends are doing IV heroin OP shouldn't be freaking out like he's their mother.

This is simply odd advice.

I Love Mom.

NSFW:
stock-vector-a-man-which-have-strong-muscles-i-love-mom-tattoo-on-his-right-arm-114660697.jpg

That's exactly what I was thinking. After seeing the general reaction to this thread, current plan is just to get CBT, because I'm betting on this just being OC

I tried CBT, and it can be quite a wonderful tool for analyzing your reaction patterns to events, including the events "in your head". I'm thinking especially of the one's that pertain to your thoughts about "everything that could go wrong". What would be a series of such thoughts?