• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis anxiety caused by prior caffeine consumption

What 23

Ex-Bluelighter
I have recently noticed, after being forced to cease use of caffeine (an illness), that marijuana does not give me the anxiety, which often included tightness of chest and feeling of increased blood pressure - a scary feeling, at least not nearly as much. If I drink even ~50 mg of caffeine (tested so far), and then smoke, I still experience feelings of impending doom. Sensation/tension/stress almost overwhelming. When I have not consumed caffeine within the past 12+ hours or so, I'm fine.

I was curious if this is my individual metabolism (body, like about 30% of the population's, is slow at breaking down catecholamines-- dopamine, epinephrine, norepinephrine...) , or, if the certain side-effects often reported as due to marijuana, may have some other basis (influence) such as prior caffeine consumption. Almost everyone seems to consume caffeine in some amount.

Caffeine alone, I seem to tolerate without the same almost overwhelmingly tense/anxious feeling. I can't seem to have both.

As well... if I smoke, then wait awhile, then drink caffeine, I seem fine, and experience both the prior high, and the uplift of energy that caffeine might give.

Just some recent thoughts. I wonder if someone else who experiences anxiety, especially with marijuana, might make the same connection.

Last edited:
Caffeine is very well known for increasing anxiety in some people , or people who it does not they clearly present physical symptoms such as the 'jitters' and/or palpitations when they have too much (think coffee or energy drinks)

Also i recently learned that peoples enzymes individually affect the way people process even a common drug such as caffeine. Some people will take a very long time just to process a small amount and the half life elimination phase is much longer.

So for sure you can almost be certain that anxiety and cannabis and caffeine are all very much connected. Both Cannabis (THC) and Caffeine are known to increase heart rate so combined , will have a more noticeable outcome.

Yeah, caffeine causes me anxiety and paranoia sometimes. But it tastes so good.

I stopped drinking alcohol cold turkey in 2016
I stopped smoking cigarettes cold turkey in 1998

Coffee is a double edged sword for me; I'm more worried about the potassium content b/c I'm on dialysis. I've been given a limit of ~2,000 mg/day - and that is split between food and beverage. And I'm pretty sure that my daily intake just from coffee is @ or near 2,000.

Big deal most people say. They don't want me having heart attacks, hence the limit. And my regular blood tests reveal if I'm cheating.

I guess it's pretty stupid that I drink Seattle speedballs (coffee and THC). They do synergize

Tom

Last edited:
i think that's actually fairly normal....ive had the same issues, if i smoke too much in the morning right after my coffee, it'll flip me out....so i usually just take like 1 nice bong hit so i don't become too much of a spaz in the morning if it's right after my coffee....

i have to wait to smoke until after my morning shit or i can't seem to shit as well if i smoke before my dump...and im all about that morning shit or im dropping stinky bombs all day so it's a very important task...so that's the 3rd factor of the morning routine - so i go coffee, dump, then smoke but just 1 or 2 rips and usually a strain that's not too stoney

but yea - same thing here - if i drink coffee after im stoned, it's ok, but not so great the other way around

it's good tho - you're paying attention to your body and dialing it in - that's how the professionals do it

😎