Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cannabis anti-convulsant shakes up epilepsy treatment

sekio

Bluelight Crew
New Scientist
Cannabis anti-convulsant shakes up epilepsy treatment
12:01 12 September 2012 by Douglas Heaven
http://www.newscientist.com/article...iconvulsant-shakes-up-epilepsy-treatment.html
The versatile cannabis plant may have a new use: it could be used to control epileptic seizures with fewer side effects than currently prescribed anti-convulsants.

Ben Whalley at the University of Reading, UK, and colleagues worked with GW Pharmaceuticals in Wiltshire, UK, to investigate the anti-convulsant properties of cannabidivarin (CBDV), a little-studied chemical found in cannabis and some other plants.

There is "big, historical, anecdotal evidence" that cannabinoids can be used to control human seizures, says Whalley, but the "side-effect baggage" means there have been relatively few studies of its pharmaceutical effect on this condition.

The team investigated the effectiveness of CBDV – one of around 100 non-psychoactive cannabinoids found in cannabis – as an anti-convulsant. They induced seizures in live rats and mice that had been given the drug. These animals experienced less severe seizures and lower mortality compared with animals given a placebo. The drug also had fewer side effects and was better tolerated than three of the most widely prescribed anticonvulsants.

British Journal of Pharmacology
Cannabidivarin is anticonvulsant in mouse and rat in vitro and in seizure models
A J Hill1,2,*, M S Mercier1,3, T D M Hill1, S E Glyn1, N A Jones1,2, Y Yamasaki1,2,4, T Futamura4, M Duncan5, C G Stott5, G J Stephens1, C M Williams2, B J Whalley1
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1476-5381.2012.02207.x/abstract

Background and purpose

Phytocannabinoids in Cannabis sativa have diverse pharmacological targets extending beyond cannabinoid receptors and several exert notable anticonvulsant effects. For the first time, we investigated the anticonvulsant profile of the phytocannabinoid cannabidivarin (CBDV) in vitro and in in vivo seizure models.
Experimental approach

The effect of CBDV (1-100μM) on epileptiform local field potentials (LFPs) induced in rat hippocampal brain slices by 4-AP application or Mg2+-free conditions was assessed by in vitro multi-electrode array recordings. Additionally, the anticonvulsant profile of CBDV (50-200 mg kg-1) in vivo was investigated in four rodent seizure models: maximal electroshock (mES) and audiogenic seizures in mice, and pentylenetetrazole (PTZ) and pilocarpine-induced seizures in rat. CBDV effects in combination with commonly-used antiepileptic drugs were investigated in rat seizures. Finally, the motor side effect profile of CBDV was investigated using static beam and grip-strength assays.
Key results

CDBV significantly attenuated status epilepticus-like epileptiform LFPs induced by 4-AP and Mg2+-free conditions. CDBV had significant anticonvulsant effects in mES (≥100 mg kg-1), audiogenic (≥50 mg kg-1) and PTZ-induced seizures (≥100 mg kg-1). CDBV alone had no effect against pilocarpine-induced seizures, but significantly attenuated these seizures when administered with valproate or phenobarbital at 200 mg kg-1 CDBV. CDBV had no effect on motor function.
Conclusions and Implications

These results indicate that CDBV is an effective anticonvulsant across a broad range of seizure models, does not significantly affect normal motor function and therefore merits further investigation in chronic epilepsy models to justify human trials.

Great article, great news!
But it is not a "new" use for cannabis. We have seen several articles about parents using it for the epileptic kids here in DiTM.
They received both support and a good deal of scorn, if I remember correctly, but I bet that they get a lot of scorn in mainstream society!

I could see this leading to the advancement of some interesting anti-epileptic cannabinoids that don't have such a broad range of side-effects like most do. Exciting.

Great news! Epilepsy can be so debilitating - one of my friends is a 'serious' case, with almost weekly episodes, and this is the kind of news she needs to hear :) I'm glad to see yet another valid medical use for weed.

can you use "shakes up" in the headline of a story about epilepsy? Kind of reminds me of this:

Chink-in-the-armor.jpg

it mentions that other plants contain CBDV...

anyone know what they are?

very interested, hope there is some truth in that line