• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis Adverse Effects On The Comedown

Anon456

Greenlighter
Hello bluelight form,
I have a serious issue with the comedown for cannabis. I smoke cannabis and I'm high for a a few hours. Then, *every single time* I come down I get uncontrollable urges to binge eat no matter what I do. This is always followed by strong fatigue. So basically, I'm high for a few hours then I binge eat, then sleep for hours. It's the same every time regardless of the strain or quality. It even happens with pure Sativa, which is not known to stimulate appetite.

The fatigue I can tolerate or counteract with caffeine. The appetite increase, however, I cannot tolerate. I am on a diet to lose weight, and in general I try not to overeat. In all honesty, I hate the munchies. It's not even fun, it's just gross.

I was thinking about trying an over the counter appetite suppressant, if one even exists. I am not looking for an appetite suppressant for every day use, only to take when I'm high and feel a binge coming on. I have not had success with prescribed appetite suppressants, as they had intolerable side effects.

I think part of this issue could have something to do with the way the cannabis interacts with my medication. I am on a low dose of antipsychotics. Luckily, I am changing my medication however. I am switching to a medication which stimulates the dopamine & serotonin receptors in some way, rather than simply blocking the dopamine. It is an all around much better and more therapeutic medication. Hopefully, the med change will help with this issue.

Any suggestions?

Yeah dude it's not like it should come as a surprise... even people who have never touched weed know what the munchies are. Sativa/indica is completely made up by the way, you shouldn't be buying a sativa expecting it to be all energetic and clear headed or whatever. All weed is different. Even moreso batch to batch than strain to strain.

Instead of putting random ass stimulants in your body which will cause an aneurysm or something... try preparing healthy food before you get high. If you can't find the willpower to not eat (it is willpower, it's not the weed) then your best option is to have stuff like a big ass salad and fruit and vegetables laid out and make chips/candy/etc as hard to access as possible.

Yeah, eating uncontrollably used to be a problem for me, esp after smoking certain strains. I really had to not keep junk food in my house because it would magically disappear after smoking. I've got to watch the salt/fluid intake because I'm on dialysis and scarfing down a whole pizza (which the weed demon of hunger seems to demand as a tribute) just plain screws me up.

Certain strains of weed are high/more elevated in THCV. This is supposed to have appetite supressing effects

Doug's Varin
Pineapple Purps
Durban Poison
Power Plant
Willie Nelson
Red Congolese
Jack the Ripper
Durban Cheese
Skunk #1

A google search turned this list up. I can verify Durban poison and Red Congolese but can't speak for the others. And yes, caffeine works wonders :)

Tom

Thanks for the input. I will keep those strains in mind. I remember smoking Durban Poison and having little to no munchies, but I have never heard of or tried Red Congolese.

Yeah dude it's not like it should come as a surprise... even people who have never touched weed know what the munchies are. Sativa/indica is completely made up by the way, you shouldn't be buying a sativa expecting it to be all energetic and clear headed or whatever. All weed is different. Even moreso batch to batch than strain to strain.

Instead of putting random ass stimulants in your body which will cause an aneurysm or something... try preparing healthy food before you get high. If you can't find the willpower to not eat (it is willpower, it's not the weed) then your best option is to have stuff like a big ass salad and fruit and vegetables laid out and make chips/candy/etc as hard to access as possible.

Of course I know it is a common side effect but I think because of my mental health diagnosis as well as the meds that I am on, this side effect is heightened for me. Antipsychotics are known to trigger overeating in people who take them, and I feel that the marijuana interacts with that side effect somehow, making it stronger. Before I took antipsychotics I had the munchies from weed before, but never to this degree. The same is true with the passing out and falling asleep for hours afterward-that used to never happen to me prior to the antipsychotics. Now it happens with every strain. Some strains are definitely different than others. I have smoked certain pure Sativa's that were definitely more energizing and actually suppressed mine and my boyfriend's appetite for four days while we were smoking it. We didn't eat a morsel for four days straight. Also, I would never put a stimulant into my body, so I would be searching for an alternative to stimulants of course. I do try to keep healthy foods on hand for when the binge attacks occur, but it would seem that my body is craving something substantial to counteract whatever the weed is doing.

****Update: Today, I had a successful smoke session without binge-eating. I brewed a whole bunch of iced coffee diluted w/ ice cubes. I kept it in my big huge travel cup and sipped it the whole time I was high. With the caffeine, I didn't get the uncontrollable munchies this time. I avoided food most of the time, then proceeded to eat lunch when I was almost sober. I wasn't really hungry so I ended up dumping most of the lunch out (& using self-restraint.) The caffeine really helped. Also, I think it's something you just get used to. I still slept for a few hours after the high, like usual. Maybe if I had finished the rest of the caffeine I wouldn't have done that either. I already drink a small amount of caffeine daily so it works out just fine, especially so long as I dilute the coffee like I did, or make half decaf. Ps. I asked a pharmacist about an over the counter, appetite suppressant and they recommended caffeine.

I used to do this a lot (the binge eating on the comedown), but then the effect started to reverse and it actually lowers these cravings in me now. So much so that I'm taking a break. I also used to get a similar thing with sex drive, with the same reversal lately.

Just drink a lot of water/fluids before and during smoke sessions. It helps with cotton mouth, dehydration and fills your stomach up so you don’t want to eat. That’s what I’ve always done and it works like a charm

I used to do this a lot (the binge eating on the comedown), but then the effect started to reverse and it actually lowers these cravings in me now. So much so that I'm taking a break. I also used to get a similar thing with sex drive, with the same reversal lately.

Lucky you

Just drink a lot of water/fluids before and during smoke sessions. It helps with cotton mouth, dehydration and fills your stomach up so you don’t want to eat. That’s what I’ve always done and it works like a charm

I've heard that fluids definitely help. I'll try that, thanks for the suggestion.

There has to be some kind of herb that will help as well. I called a health store to ask about this (I didn't tell them what it was for of course.) The woman on the phone wasn't too helpful. Not to gross you out, but I used to drink this tea called "smooth move" for constipation. It had an herbal stimulant called inlin, along with fennel seed and licorice root. It was very effective. My thinking is this-If an herbal laxative could be so effective, there must be herbs that can help with my appetite problem and fatigue. I do believe that alternative remedies help. Of course, if you're sick always go to a doctor first. But is alternative medicine an effective supplement to traditional treatment? I think so. I think I'll call another health food store today and ask. Perhaps it will take calling an herbalist.

But is alternative medicine an effective supplement to traditional treatment?

Traditional or herbal or alternative (non western) medicines/supplements quite frequently contain no researched compounds. If you feel safe putting these chemicals in your body with no understanding of what interactions they may have with *whatever else you're putting in your body*, well.....just no a good idea.

Example; that herbal laxative; what compound is it that is causing the laxative effect? Will that compound affect any other meds you're taking?

I am on Mirtazipine and Prazosin and draw the line at weed, mushrooms and LSD. When I took Risperidone for OCD I wouldn't even take mushrooms/LSD. Tread carefully my friend; even an over the counter supplement is just a non declared, poorly researched drug.

Tom

(and by all means if you are intent on going this route, please discuss it with a western based doctor, and if you can't find one who has a good understanding of the supplement you want to take, please refrain from taking it). I don't wanna be hearing about you on the news.

But is alternative medicine an effective supplement to traditional treatment?

Traditional or herbal or alternative (non western) medicines/supplements quite frequently contain no researched compounds. If you feel safe putting these chemicals in your body with no understanding of what interactions they may have with *whatever else you're putting in your body*, well.....just no a good idea.

Example; that herbal laxative; what compound is it that is causing the laxative effect? Will that compound affect any other meds you're taking?

I am on Mirtazipine and Prazosin and draw the line at weed, mushrooms and LSD. When I took Risperidone for OCD I wouldn't even take mushrooms/LSD. Tread carefully my friend; even an over the counter supplement is just a non declared, poorly researched drug.

Tom

(and by all means if you are intent on going this route, please discuss it with a western based doctor, and if you can't find one who has a good understanding of the supplement you want to take, please refrain from taking it). I don't wanna be hearing about you on the news.

You make a very good point. I will use caution.

****Update:

I have changed my medication and the terrible compulsive urges to eat on the come down are gone. Before, I was on Abilify which is known for causing addictive/compulsive behaviors in people who take it such as gambling, sex addiction, and binge eating. There are law suits against the company for these side effects. I switched to Vraylar which works very differently from Abilify. Now, when I get high I don't have the same uncontrollable urges to eat and I go without eating during the high, most of the time. I was right about the meds and the weed interacting negatively. I guess Abilify and weed really don't mix. The high wasn't all that great on Abilify either. Word of caution to those who are on Abilify.

That black and white image of indica and sativa is such a pet peeve of mine. There is so much more to it than that ratio, like terpenes and trichrome maturity. I'm glad to have legal access now as I get a lot of lab data, and it's actually flushed and cured with negligible contaminants. I've been learning more and more about terpenes. It started with limonene and then I got into essential oil aromatherapy and realized some of the oils contained the same active terpenes found in cannabis. I could go off on tangents with the lab data for a day if I wanted to, exploring the fascinating modern day world of chemicals found in weed. I still like to rip my bong mostly, and once I am legally growing my own indoor it will be amazing as I won't have to be all that involved in the commercialization of weed.

That black and white image of indica and sativa is such a pet peeve of mine. There is so much more to it than that ratio, like terpenes and trichrome maturity. I'm glad to have legal access now as I get a lot of lab data, and it's actually flushed and cured with negligible contaminants. I've been learning more and more about terpenes. It started with limonene and then I got into essential oil aromatherapy and realized some of the oils contained the same active terpenes found in cannabis. I could go off on tangents with the lab data for a day if I wanted to, exploring the fascinating modern day world of chemicals found in weed. I still like to rip my bong mostly, and once I am legally growing my own indoor it will be amazing as I won't have to be all that involved in the commercialization of weed.

Terpenes ARE what causes the generally experienced differences between indicas and satvias as far as I know. You'll very rarely find any indicas with high limonene, they usually have higher myrcene and CBG. You'll notice myrcene is generally believed to be sedating. BAM. INDICAS. It's more likely a lack of myrcene in sativas that causes stimulation rather than having an abundant stimulating terpene.

But you're absolutely right, there are sativas that will make me pass the fuck out or at least have no energizing effects whatsoever, and indicas that will make me bounce off the fuckin walls. However, I think it's a fairly good guideline to start with. Though you have to go in knowing that 95% of stoners exaggerate the everloving fuck out of the differences between strains. Some people would have you believe indicas are like heroin and sativas are like crack.. absolutely nothing like that as I'm sure you know. It's all weed, it's all FAIRLY similar.

I did notice that a lot of indicas have high amounts of myrcene in them. I haven't explored this terpene too much yet. I have a strain right now that is totally dominated by terpinolene (woody aroma) and it's a pure indica (hindu kush) but it really helps me concentrate. I chose a strain that was high in terpinolene and low in mycene, to experiment and it's definitely a different high. Can induce sleep at higher dose.

I think it is possible the limonene and pinene are stimulating compounds, they are found in many sativas I know and are antidepressants. The sativas lacking these terpenes could account for some varieties making me sedated.

Yeah, they are very similar. Talking subtle differences here. Hindu kush has been helping me a lot lately.

Worst thing you can do when burnt out is smoke more weed ride it out and get proper lit later on.

I just only have healthy snacks in the house. Nuts, fruit, granola bars. The quality of the weed in London lately means if I have a cheesecake or ice cream tub in it will all be gone and I hate myself after lol.

Edit: And yes, Sativa and Indica are not mutually exclusive. As far as I understand it, there are numerous other variables, some of which aren't even fully known yet. I find hash to have a more sleepy high though, unsure why.