• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome (CHS)

Zopiclone bandit

Bluelighter
Thanks for this question ZB. I wanted to start a post too but have not. I am interested in any knowledge on CHS. Same thing like who had it, what caused it, what made it go away...

I have talked to people online that had it and all seemed to be able to go back to moderate smoking so it is really confusing.

I just smoke flower.a few pulls from a glass pipe 2-3 times in a 24 hour period. I have not moved on to concentrates. Someone just gave me some good hash though that her son made from his grows. It was potent. A small niuggest lasted me 3 weeks. But I try not to kick up my tolerance to drugs so usually just stick to non concentrates. LIke regular kratom and regular cannabis is just fine for me.

But yes if anyone has any info please share.

Anyone had any 1st hand account with this CHS?
How are you now if so? Has the vomit stopped? How horrific was it for you etc?

I have talked to people online that had it and all seemed to be able to go back to moderate smoking
How long were they ill for?

I've heard of horrific cases, people puking over 110 times in a hour & their stomach kept flipping till the stuff that stops acid burning through your gut came up & then the stomach acid leaked down into their lower stomach & they went to the toilet & the acid came out, I admit that was a one off case but imagine doing a liquid poo of acid :(

No high is worth that imho, some of the more "research" based drugs I've taken which I will not name on this section of BL caused my stomach to be very upset & I had "issues" but nothing like acid coming out of my anus!!!!!!

How long were they ill for?
Well both went to the ER but after a break both were smoking in 2-3 months. Much lighter smoking (well one guy at least).

I know man, this syndrome scares me. Cannabis is suppose to relieve nausea. The fact that the opposite happens makes me believe this is an autoimmune type of illness or response. But if we can zero in on what triggers it we can at least be more careful.

a friend of mine has dealt with it a few times....he can't stop puking, ends up in the hospital.....he thinks it's certain strains that set it off

i know of 2 very heavy habitual users for many years, and they havent had it.
There is a saying that too much of anything is bad for you and this is no different so maybe it depends entirely on the individual

i know of 2 very heavy habitual users for many years, and they havent had it.
There is a saying that too much of anything is bad for you and this is no different so maybe it depends entirely on the individual
From what I've heard it's mainly with DAB/ Shatter smokers or long use of THC weed in the 25% and above levels. This isn't a joke or something to be glossed over imho.

I used to smoke Scuff / Scissor Hash that was very potent sticky balls we would roll off scissors we used to trim stuff with but I never puked like what's being reported now.

When THC stays in the body for a month people need to know & be aware imho. I'm NO crying liberal & do kinda scoff at harm reduction in many ways, I've done stuff best not posted about on here with NO regards towards my own safety etc but this is something else, who knows what the internal effects are from puking over 100 times an hour for weeks on end, that goes way beyond any RC experiment in my view.

Apparantly CBD affects the clearance rate of THC from the body. I wonder if this would have an effect for a heavy habitual user, and yes from what ive read cannabis hyperemesis can make people very ill indeed and is not a joke at all.

^ Could be a variable Darkside. I think we should consider everything. I will say the two people i know were hitting the dabs all day long as well as gobbling edibles. So far I do not know anyone that got CHS that was a light user.

Hmmm, stain possibilites too eh? We have to collect all variables. I do not trust doctors on this stuff..... or in general.

CHS does not affect the majority of cannabis users. For those who do get it, an unknown genetic or environmental trigger may be a contributing factor. While CBD and CBG may have a role in CHS, THC is a required component of the condition. CBD hasn't been associated with CHS in the absence of THC, for example. When I queried one of my friends who is a physician about it, he mentioned something to me that was backed up by the personnel at the cannabis dispensary where I buy it.

interestingly many people self treat CHS by taking hot showers... and many people suffering from CHS say that the amount of relief felt from the shower goes up as the water temperature goes up.

ive also heard about people finding relief from taking hot showers. What would hot showers change in the body, Blood pressure as far as i know? anything else ?
Its very tricky its like a puzzle that noone has solved yet

The hot shower thing probably has to do with inflammation.

Hot showers always reduces my inflammation as do pretty much all cannabinoids. I suspect people suffering from CHS are experiencing reverse effects and thus inflammation issues arise when using cannabis.

It sounds like a paradoxical effect as the person above highlighted. Ironically I think cold showers also help inflammation which is also paradoxical which is why hot/ice solutions can ease pain for many. I felt like that pamphlet was more of a "marijuana is bad" message as I don't subscribe as a philosophy of "complete abstinence" as the sole way to relieve the symptoms of vomiting. For example, some people may have unresolved psychological issues that may increase in intensity when using cannabis products. For the OP, that may or may not be applicable but I just mention this because you highlighted CBD being the main friend that helps you Vs high potent THC based variants. Some people feel like very strong THC mixes actually increase psychological distress while paradoxically some people feel like it helps resolve issues that lower psychological distress.

I don’t have CHS but I do have CVS. Chronic Vomiting Syndrome, pretty much parallels CHS but I’ve had it since I was born. I’ve had episodes last 24+hrs of non stop vomiting. When I say everything comes out, I. Mean. Everything.. Then you dry heave and squeeze like you need to shit but nothings there. So it’s best to start chugging water immediately to try and flush out then your body at least has the water too come time where normally it’d be all gone.

When people besides my wife see me go through it they contemplate calling 9/11 more often than not. But that would probably make it worse.

The only relief is certain strains of cannabis, opiates, hot showers and time. I actually enter a catatonic state where I often can’t speak, my eyes roll into the back of my head. I can’t tell if that’s a protective mechanism or part of what happens during.

Nasty stuff, I believe it has a serotonin component similar to migraines. People that deal with CVS often have migraines too.

-GC

sometimes i get too stoned before i take a shower and then i get all claustrophobic once im in there

stoner.gif

the hot shower thing may be at a "higher" mechanistic level than some inflammatory signaling pathway. and by that i mean the hot shower may offer more of a cognitive/behavioral benefit to the patient. sort of like how during an intense period of suicidal/depressive thoughts one may find themselves sitting in a hot shower for a prolonged time.

Has anybody with this ever tried smoking cannabinoids from a completely different geographical location/source? Do oral cannabinoids make it worse? Some strains are completely lacking in compounds others have in oodles. Extracts completely exclude some parts, which could be part of the problem. In some places, neem oil or other things are used by every grower.

It's possible that it is a common pesticide or fertilizer doing this. I'm still not convinced this is more than correlation. Definitely needs more research to help the poor people suffering from it.

Back in 2017, ~2 months before I started dialysis, I started puking. It could come out of nowhere (driving into work), and I knew I was going to be puking for hours. It was the worst when I was put on new anti depressants.

Once it started at 7 am. Still puking at 9 pm and had my sister rake me to the hospital. Was quite dehydrated and was given Gravol to stop the vomiting. Didn’t work. They next tried Odansetron and that didn’t work either. Finally, after IV fluids and Maxeran, the vomiting stopped.

I raised the possibility of it being CHS and it was discounted.

Happened once more before starting dialysis and once a few months after starting dialysis.

And then, not since.

Could have been bad reactions to 2 different anti depessants and it could have been the slow gradual buildup of toxins as my kidneys failed. I started dialysis Nov, 2017 and the last time I had non stop vomiting was Jan, 2018. So the CHS either resolved itself or it never was CHS. During my ‘puking periods’ I was smoking ~2g/day.,

Would not wish this on anyone and hope it never happens to me again.

Tom

I don’t have CHS but I do have CVS. Chronic Vomiting Syndrome, pretty much parallels CHS but I’ve had it since I was born. I’ve had episodes last 24+hrs of non stop vomiting. When I say everything comes out, I. Mean. Everything.. Then you dry heave and squeeze like you need to shit but nothings there. So it’s best to start chugging water immediately to try and flush out then your body at least has the water too come time where normally it’d be all gone.

When people besides my wife see me go through it they contemplate calling 9/11 more often than not. But that would probably make it worse.

The only relief is certain strains of cannabis, opiates, hot showers and time. I actually enter a catatonic state where I often can’t speak, my eyes roll into the back of my head. I can’t tell if that’s a protective mechanism or part of what happens during.

Nasty stuff, I believe it has a serotonin component similar to migraines. People that deal with CVS often have migraines too.

-GC
Jesus wept!!!!