• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canadians to file lawsuit against OxyContin maker

ControlDenied said:
You guys are all perfectly right. But I think Purdue can afford to give a hundred (most likely) poor-as-fuck maritime Canadians some of their fucking hoard. You guys would easily swallow up the cash like that if you could.

In Soviet Russia, Purdue Pharma pays you! =D

^ How do you know this information? I demand to know their names and contact. Immediately.

Yeh, it is ridiculous from what a rational viewpoint. They took painkillers for pain. Then sue the company that made the pills. But hey. The justice system rarely seems to make any damn sense to me.

ControlDenied said:
^ How do you know this information? I demand to know their names and contact. Immediately.

Yeh, it is ridiculous from what a rational viewpoint. They took painkillers for pain. Then sue the company that made the pills. But hey. The justice system rarely seems to make any damn sense to me.
can't argue that! It doesn't make sense and is does not treat people, corporations, etc, uniformly as it should. But bottom line is that oxy is a dangerous, yet useful, product. Much like guns, alcohol, cars, etc. So, suing them for the dangers of their product is really only justifiable (from a legal *and* ethical standpoint, really) if you were completely left in the dark on what their product was all about. If smith and wesson didn't make it clear their products hurt more than pellet guns, they'd be liable. If purdue claims oxy isn't addictive, they'd be liable (and I know that is what they claimed - less addictive as far as opiates went. That claim only vanishes when you crush those pills up, take more than you shoud, etc). But purdue almost certainly has info on their scripts, I know any script I ever got for anything came with a printout about the product (which went directly in my trashcan..), so the only person to blame would be the patient or whoever withheld the information that it's addictive. If the docs/pharmacies did not give said info, I think they're at least partly liable, from a *legal* standpoint (from an ethical standpoint, especially given the early 20's age of one of these guys/kids, I feel they really don't even need to be told what oxy is - how sheltered would someone have to be to not know what oxy is?). But I'm failing to see how purdue, despite how much they *could* give out, would owe a single dime to any of these people.

Then again, it does seem that drugs like these are perscribed with too little education. My mom just got bromazepam perscribed and didn't even believe me when I told her it was severely addicting.

The question is why did she not know? If I got addicted to what I presumed to harmless/unaddictive, but I never read my package inserts when I got the script (as I usually throw them away), then the fault lies with me. If there were no inserts, I'm not sure who's responsibility it is to tell the patient, or if the patient should know themselves. I'd imagine it's the doc's responsibility, perhaps both the docs adn the pharmacie's, but it's gotta be someone's.

^^^ That Ain't the fault of the companies who make bromazepam thats the fault of the goddamn doctor. Whenever ive gotten a benzo or opiate script filled at a pharmacy it say's of the sheet you get with it do not suddenly stop taking this medication if youve been taking it regularly. Talk with your doctor before stopping this medication.

Around here they sure as hell don't give out oxy scripts like candy. Most doctors won't even script it. The stuff does nothing for my pain anyway so i usually get mscontin or dilaudid.

Also ive never had a doctor cut me off. Even if i overused and ran out early they where always willing to taper me off whatever opiate i was on. But then again i do have pretty severe pain and my doctor knows that i sometimes need more then im scripted. The only times ive gone cold turkey is on my own and i usually go and get a codeine script and use that for withdrawals. The shit works wonders for opiate withdrawals especially coming off morphine.

Yeh, definitely the fault of our doctor and the pharmacy (she read all the info, trust me she's a complete nerd). IT'S A FUCKING CONSPIRACY DAMMIT

She read the info, yet was surprised when you told her it was addictive? How would that not have been in the literature?

It just wasn't man. Trust me. Don't ask me how come. CUZ IT'S OBVIOUSLY A FUCKING CONSPIRACY (smashes head against monitor)