• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Canadians have lost a collective 131$ billion on Cannabis stock

Thomas Davie

Moderator: CD
Staff member
The initial assessment from some investment firms was that you would have ~10$/g at the low end and $25-30+/g at the high end. Or that was what people would be charged and happily pay. Companies went on absolutely insane buying sprees and production capacity expansions. All in the expectation that we would happily jump through hoops and pay a super premium price for dry, stale poor quality product.

The black market responded by lowering prices. The legal market lowered prices a bit.And the black market…..you get the picture. All of a sudden analysts were calling it the race to the bottom. And that all we were going to end up with was shitty low priced weed.

That didn’t happen. you’re getting market maturation, where companies and retail chains are somewhat consolidating. A few companies have gone bankrupt or filed for bankruptcy.

The federal Cannabis Act (bills C-45/46) started undergoing review in September, a year late.

Companies are pushing for

1) increased limits on edibles from 10mg per wrapped package to a greater number
2) Advertising, which is currently not allowed. Companies are looking for some way to distinguish themselves from the competition.
3) A general review on cultivation limits, legalization of consumption lounges and etc.

Tom

Consumption lounges have the capability of producing a HUGE profit. I visited the 'only coffee shop in Canada' (Toronto) which was BYOP. But they sold really nice food. A bit overpriced with hot drinks being $1 above normal and simple, hearty food being $2-3 above normal. But the food was excellent, service second-to-none.

I think it was all freshly made so it would provide employment for quite a few people.

Amsterdam is an example of how outlets distinguish themselves. Has to be the most competitive city on earth for cannabis sales. Quality and service is key again. They also theme the places and put on music so you can find a shop that is more-or-less exactly what you want.

One nice idea was that you could buy a specific amount (by weight) of any hash/grass and if you didn't like it, you could take it back. They would weigh it again and you could swap it for something else. I guess that falls under customer service.

I think homegrown is ideal when possible when feasible when it is convenient you no longer expend on consumption but turn into a lucrative endeavor not a possibility for many situations understandable I admire affordable top shelf vendors.

Imagine in Québec...

Still about myths here comes a very fresh one IMHO quite due to attract some more public attention, at least in my "toilet" province anyway:

Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in Canadians​

E.G. read including in "legal" mari-caca "amended" with « *PFAS* », euh... which is about non-reversible accumulation of "eternal" contaminants!

:poop:

That's our "reward" for supporting the "legal" though still only "potential" (so far...) mass-poisoning of a couple more generations, e.g. before we finally get decent long-term research then eventually credible independant/replicable studies.

In The Name Of Children. ☮️

Don’t forget the real reason legalizing grass. It’s so we are no longer stigmatized, arrested and prosecuted.. possibly in prison.

Quit bitching about your Canadian legal schwag

It’s going to play out just like the wine market.. wine snob is a silly wanker compared to weed snob.

The big shops begged borrowed and stole from everyone they could.. can’t mass produce fire wine so why do they think they can do it with grass.. oh it’s because you did quite well in the get go? yeah they got the genetics.. but as with wine and beer there going to be a higher end market where the good shit will be.

I think I mentioned Porter's Five Forces when we discussed this in LAVA. Basically, there was never any competitive advantage to be had here. It was always doomed in terms of sustainable growth (in the economic sense of the word) because there was no real moat against competition. How could there be? It's a plant that grows like a weed. Anyone can do it.

Really I view the whole industry with cynicism as an elaborate pump and dump scheme. Liberal party associates filled the boards of the corporations that were given first crack at the legal market. They no doubt profited handsomely from the sudden rise in valuations, assuming they dumped at the top when the market was "maturing" and there was no longer a way to use regulation as a means to create an unfair advantage without being totally obvious about it.

Sigh. Nobody cares about justice anymore.

I don't get it. The way to 'distinguish' yourself in this market is the same as any consumable product - whether it be soda, tobacco, or burgers. You have to be consistent, and you have to offer a quality service atleast the same if not better than what a private individual can do.

But consistency is the most important. You look at any big company that sells something like this - Coca-Cola, Phillip Morris, McDonald's. It's not that they are doing anything amazing but you know what you are getting every single time.

Everything in the essence of those companies is QUALITY CONTROL.

I know from my own and friends experience that anyone offering consistent high quality weed gets the money.

...I view the whole industry with cynicism...

That plus a contant feeling it's just some plain insult - and i'm being extra-gentle here!!

...filled the boards...

Multiples imbalances and dissymetries occured in blatant lack of any decent sense of proportionality while ma$$-media seemed quite contemplative about it. For example in my rejected/ignored Québeker reality the "Task Force" report of August 24th 2016 showed *ONLY* 1 "LP" ("medical" in 100 % denial of "recreative"); worse, the one LP we had initially named itself Hydropothecary, another slap at *ALL* of my "$stoner$"/"droÿé$" provincial fellows, as that's already offensive to perform such mercantile cultural re-appropriation inspired by Louis Hébert, 1st representative of the King in Nouvelle-France!! But we have ennemies in every corner: federalists, racists, etc... So it's never too much for them i guess.

Anyway the pea$ant$ had a change of name past the early myclobutanil scandal as i recall (BANNED under Harper, then simply *NOT DETECTED* under Health-Canada catalog of 96 "$anitory" additive$!)... Which is why i tagged it Kosher Zyklon years ago.

Euh... Never heard of a "cocktail effect"? 4 Years past "Légaleezation"! How come??

A few days ago i watched a TV show describing « agro-toxic$» vs greed-fueled potential "infanticides" in Brazil, that same week "PFAS" imported to my province under the green label "compost" made the news too... Is it sacrilege to even ask the question when it comes to our habit of cannabis *INHALATION* performed on a chronic basis for many decades?!...

Where are the efficient and affordable laboraqtory tests? Since nobody is acting in behalf of the consumers here?

Nobody.

Good day, have fun!! ☮️

P.S.: Each puff serves a bigot *VILIFICATION* purpose, "legal" or not, and than alone is insult enough. Merry-CAQ.Ca!

I think I mentioned Porter's Five Forces when we discussed this in LAVA. Basically, there was never any competitive advantage to be had here. It was always doomed in terms of sustainable growth (in the economic sense of the word) because there was no real moat against competition. How could there be? It's a plant that grows like a weed. Anyone can do it.

Really I view the whole industry with cynicism as an elaborate pump and dump scheme. Liberal party associates filled the boards of the corporations that were given first crack at the legal market. They no doubt profited handsomely from the sudden rise in valuations, assuming they dumped at the top when the market was "maturing" and there was no longer a way to use regulation as a means to create an unfair advantage without being totally obvious about it.

Bold part: Be careful. I read somewhere a while back that Monsanto is trying to corner the market on cannabis seeds such that they wish to own the patents of all the strains and be the only seed supplier on planet earth. Just look at how they have treated small farmers. I saw a few years ago that Monsanto patented certain potato strains and when their fields pollenized other farmers' adjacent potato fields by wind, bees, etc, Monsanto took them to court and won thus allowing them to literally take over the small farmers' fields by saying they owned the "rights" to those patented potatoes. Absolute horseshit if you ask me and the small farmers who lost their businesses to a major worldwide corporate monopoly. Imagine now if they were able to do that with the legal cannabis market. It would be disastrous thus eliminating all competition. smfh