• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Canadian Election today, October 19th, 2015. Will Cannabis be made legal for adults?

Thomas Davie

Moderator: CD
Staff member
Marijuana is going legal in Canada; Liberals won!

The Canadian Federal election is today. Three main parties are vying to form the government; Conservatives (anti MJ), Liberals (will legalize) and NDP (will support legalization). If the Liberals form a majority or minority government, they will start implementing legalization as soon as Parliament is called into session.

This is NOT a citizen's referendum; it is legalization through legislative means by the governing party. The whole country. From coast to coast; spanning the entire contigious border with the USA.

I was told by a candidate that the process will begin with amending our CDSA (controlled drugs & substances act) to remove reference to Cannabis; effectively scheduling it alongside alcohol and tobacco. I was also told that home growing will likely be permitted.

I will update this post with details when or if the election is called for the Liberals.

I voted.

Will love come to town tonight?

FaCLSwZ.jpg

CBC has called the election. A majority government for the Liberals.

Legal Marijuana from coast to coast. It's going to take about a year or so, but the model is likely going to be based on Colorado and/or Washington.

Taxes
-Provincial Sales Tax
-Goods and Services Tax (GST)
-Federal Excise Tax
-Provincial Marijuana Levy

Quite likely age of 21 and over. Possession of one ounce. Transfer from location to location. Consumption on private premises where property owner allows. Exact hours of sales determined on a province by province basis.

The whole country. Legislatively done. We did it.

In my opinion, British Columbia will jump out in the lead and have sales before any other province. They've got the most robust dispensary system in the country.

35.2 million people are about to join Colorado, Washington, Alaska and Oregon.

Victory!!!!!

Last edited:
Salutations Thomas Davie,

...they will start implementing legalization as soon as Parliament is called into session. ... I was told by a candidate that the process will begin with amending our CDSA (controlled drugs & substances act) to remove reference to Cannabis; effectively scheduling it alongside alcohol and tobacco. I was also told that home growing will likely be permitted.

Over a million French-speaking Canadians could have heard this before, for example when Justin MiniPET Trudeau got a nation-wide audience on SRC - not twice but 3 times since 2014 (!):

SRC: Tout le monde en parle (2014-Feb-23)

SRC (TLMEP): Égoportrait (2014-Oct-19)​

SRC: Dimanche 11 Octobre 2015 - L'optimiste

My own aproximate translation:

Justin Trudeau: Presently, euh... Teenagers find it's super-easy to buy Marie-Wouana.
Guy A. Lepage: And some bad one at that.

Justin Trudeau: ... ...they have no identification card to show, or there are pushers everywhere.
Guy A. Lepage: Pushers don't verify cards.
Justin Trudeau: ... Me i say, if we control, if we legiferate... ...while also protecting our youth.

Victory!!!!!

If it could just come true! Yet i sense this "legalisation" won't be what one might expect...

Good day, have fun!! =D

Hello Egzoset. I'm not sure what to expect from Trudeau's legalization other than to no longer worry about people getting arrested or charged for possession, purchasing Cannabis at stores and home growing.

And the Canadian tendency to overtax, of course.

But I will go to every riding meeting that my candidate holds and I will not waste a single opportunity to warn of the dangers of over taxation.

Tom

Grats on the liberals winning!

Hopefully the legislation to legalize goes smoothly for you guys over the next year. Good luck with making it a system that works for everyone! I think it has a lot of promise and I am happy to see this happening.

Rock on! :)

Hi again Thomas Davie,

I'm not sure what to expect from Trudeau's legalization other than to no longer worry about people getting arrested or charged for possession, purchasing Cannabis at stores and home growing.

Home growing???

Lets get a snapshot of the Liberal "platform" today:

http://www.liberal.ca/realchange/marijuana/

We will legalize, regulate, and restrict access to marijuana.

Canada’s current system of marijuana prohibition does not work. It does not prevent young people from using marijuana and too many Canadians end up with criminal records for possessing small amounts of the drug.

Arresting and prosecuting these offenses is expensive for our criminal justice system. It traps too many Canadians in the criminal justice system for minor, non-violent offenses. At the same time, the proceeds from the illegal drug trade support organized crime and greater threats to public safety, like human trafficking and hard drugs.

To ensure that we keep marijuana out of the hands of children, and the profits out of the hands of criminals, we will legalize, regulate, and restrict access to marijuana.

We will remove marijuana consumption and incidental possession from the Criminal Code, and create new, stronger laws to punish more severely those who provide it to minors, those who operate a motor vehicle while under its influence, and those who sell it outside of the new regulatory framework.

We will create a federal/provincial/territorial task force, and with input from experts in public health, substance abuse, and law enforcement, will design a new system of strict marijuana sales and distribution, with appropriate federal and provincial excise taxes applied.

And the Canadian tendency to overtax, of course.

Of course.

Good day, have fun!! =D

If you can.

Cannabis is boring. Still de-criminalizing it will go a long way toward acknowledging that and leaving the constellation of draconian. As above , so below. It's all connected.

:) It's not quite going to be sold at corner stores like some advertisements in British Columbia have said. Quite likely it will start by being decriminalized at the Federal level, which has to start by removing all references to Cannabis from the CDSA. At that point, the construction of a regulatory framework can begin. I honestly think that the feds will set some limits, and then leave some specifics up to the provinces.

-I believe that there will be a national age limit for non medicinal possession, consumption and purchase. Probably set at the age of 21, although I would eventually expect a supreme court challenge on the age limit.
-sales limits. Just a guess, but let's start at an ounce
-possession limit might be set at an ounce
-sale of hash, oil or waxes quite likely (considering that the supreme court allows this for medicinal users)
-consumption in public (definition of what exactly public is rather vaguer) prohibited

However, before the government can start of the establishment of a production, distribution and retail sales system they have to remove Cannabis as a crime at the federal level. My incoming MP (Liberal) said that removing Cannabis as a crime without having a system set up for sale still leave a vacumn for black market sales. No, it isn't mentioned on the Liberal platform page; but he stated that home growing would likely be permitted, but with limits (kinda like home brewing of beer and/or wine). There will be a 'grey' market for a while until......

The provinces set up retail sales, handled, in my opinion , by the provincial liquor commissions. I think, but would gladly be proven wrong, that sales will happen in SAQ, LCBO, MLCC and others of a similar sort. Hours of sales would be left up to the provinces, and perhaps zooming restrictions put in place on a municipal level.

British Columbia is a good place to start, and specifically Vancouver. I count 100+ dispensaries there, and somehow city council has managed to implement a framework that would see 20/30 of them stay (again, court challenges). The new health minister, when Trudeau's cabinet is announced probably won't oppose Vancouver or send in the RCMP (I sure hope).

The Liberals are on a 4 year leash.

Thanks for making me think Egzoset!

Tom

Hi again Thomas Davie,

No, it isn't mentioned on the Liberal platform page...

Justin's apparent lack of concern for Harper's "criminals" is why i didn't vote for him exactly and that's not even new at all. Maybe he can fix that, i certainly wish he does.

...home growing would likely be permitted, but with limits...

M'yeah, such as tagging us with identification cards while building lists to leak with "MARIJUANA" marked on the envelope, because we're some dangerous sub-human animals, i guess... Which ain't mentioned on their platform neither to be honest. I mean in politics anything goes as long as it's not written... M'well... Even at that, euh... There's just no garantee the government-endorsed abuses will stop.

...new health minister, when Trudeau's cabinet is announced...

That's all the relief left for me to expect, i'm sorry to admit. Health-Canada sure requires a major re-alignment. Maybe the essentials will materialize there...

In any case you provided something to chew on too as we wait for November 4th! Will the nightmare ever end?

At least i heard our new PM boldly stating he's available for discussion including with the press - which is quite a sudden change, obviously.

Good day, have fun!! =D

the realist in me expects this will become another plaything from crony capitalism just like The Beer Store...

lol the beer store and LCBO have their perks. the only con is that on holidays it's hard to get booze due to how crowded the stores get.

it'll still be easily accessible otherwise ;)

Not going to hold my breath, it is the fiberals after all

Hummm...

The liberals text reads « consumption and incidental possession », so i've got to wonder...

What about the other types of possession exactly???

:|

For all i know any guy i got cannabis from is now oing to be automatically declared a "criminal" and i'm one too if my possession fails to correspond to the sufficiently "incidental" category, as defined by politicians, etc. and so on!

8)

Good day, have fun!...

o/ Ravr, haven't seen you post in a while!

Having thought about it some more, I still can't get behind legalization. What would actually make sense is collectively agreeing that this is something that never should have been illegal in the first place. But no, that would be too sensible. That would be admitting wrong. We can't have that. The sun must not set on the empire! So instead let's have some more convoluted moral tyranny.

Good to be back, finally remembered my pass lol :)....
Legalization will help with the unnecessary arrest of at risk ... vice canada interviewed a few dealers in canada, if anyone is interested in their thoughts it is still up on their site

Salutations ThuJone,

...I still can't get behind legalization. What would actually make sense is collectively agreeing that this is something that never should have been illegal in the first place. But no, that would be too sensible. That would be admitting wrong.

Yes, and then prejudice being finally admitted it would be time to launch a commission responsible for explorative discussions, etc., then negotiations and ultimately compen$ation$$$!

Euh... Nah. Prohibition ver.2015 is too tempting, it's ready for business and the populace voted for those taxes!

Sorry, i just can't imagine MiniPET in a SuperMan suit!... That would threaten to breach the fabric of reality...

Good day, have fun!! =D