• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Canada v. America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by randycaver
Why post, then? you offered no assistance.

Originally posted by randycaver
It's cold there.

Neither did you. :p

Additionally, I can think of one glaring reason why Canada is better than the US: George W. Bush is not running their country not to mention they don't have ass-backward Puritan values taking precedence over...oh, I dunno...common fucking sense.

Id move to Canada if i could.......

Canada>US and im an american=D

Ill elaborate later

Additionally, I can think of one glaring reason why Canada is better than the US: George W. Bush is not running their country
I'm assuming this isn't one of Astrid's considerations.

Shootingstar22 said:
originally posted by killarava2day

"Canadains are so damn inoffensively offensive it's infuriating":X "

what a coincidence.....we canadians think the same about you Americans:\

heh. Just had to add.. He isn't from America

Shootingstar22 said:
originally posted by killarava2day

YES we require college education just like the US and jobs aren't always so easy to come by, some provinces like Ontario and B.C are already overpopulated and have low employment with people going to the praire provinces (Alberta, saskatchewan and manitoba) to find work.
Just curious.....where are you getting these ideas from?

Here is some factual information:

http://www.2ontario.com/welcome/bcei_201.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/research/papers/interprovincial/interprovincial-b.html

http://www.2ontario.com/welcome/bcei_303.asp

fizzygirl said:
I'm assuming this isn't one of Astrid's considerations.

Nope! Sure isn't! =D

I'm just ready for a change of scenery and I figured it would be cheaper to live up there.

Vancouver/Island is overall warmest place in Canada year round. Not much in the praries, so if you want to be around a city I suggest Ontario or BC. If drugs is your thing than Vancouver is your place. Raves in BC are about 5-7 a month

Nah, I would say I'm thinking more quiet, laid-back, small town-like atmosphere... not too much partying or drugs-- I'm not in to either..

jubai said:

-The country is less divided than the USA (quebec vs alberta is far less worse than california vs texas!)

hmmmm i don't remember california or texas holding a referendum. ideologically and politically, i agree with you; our conservatives may be a tad less conservative than those in the US, and are obviously (refer to the last election) outnumbered by leftists. still, i don't think you can compare the situation in quebec with the polarised views of california and texas.

edited to add: canada is not a utopia for drug users. using drugs is illegal and weed is not decriminalised yet, although the senate is currently reconsidering the old decrim bill.

Just thought I should add, Vancouver is the most expensive city in Canada, with Toronto being a close second. Montreal is more reasonable but cold as hell in the winter!

For the guy who asked about rent prices, it depends where you live, but here's some average estimates for Toronto:
Bachelor: $700 CDN
One-bedroom: $900
Two-bedroom: $1200

Alberta supposedly has much lower living costs and a great job market right now, but the winters there are absolutely brutal. If you don't put a block heater in your car overnight, it WILL freeze. Alberta is also the most conservative region of Canada and the premier there is gung-ho for privatizing health care.

I would suspect the job market is quite similar to that of the U.S., with education requirements, etc. Montreal is a cool city to party in, but if you're not bilingual, have fun trying to get a job! Especially if you don't have professional qualifications and are looking for basic office/retail etc. type work. I lived there for awhile and found that there is still a fair amount of attitude towards anglos if you don't speak the language. People used to give me weird looks when I said I moved from Toronto to Montreal and ask me, Isn't it usually the other way around?? My car with Ontario plates was also vandalized.

The best schools in Canada are all public universities, meaning that tuition is approx. $5,000/year. We have a government loan program for students (don't know how easy it is to get though). Of course there is the universal health care. Unfortunately, we are taxed more, but that is mostly the higher income brackets. It is better to be Canadian if you are a regular, middle class family and better to be American if you are rich! Heh.

AstridAsteroid said:
Nah, I would say I'm thinking more quiet, laid-back, small town-like atmosphere... not too much partying or drugs-- I'm not in to either..
Victoria, BC, or Calgary, AB

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Ummm, I wouldn't call either Victoria or Calgary a small town. While they aren't New York huge, they're still cities.

Victoria is gorgeous but VERY expensive (although there are some less expensive and rather nice towns elsewhere on the island), Calgary is all right (too full of cowpokes for my taste ;) ) and a fair bit cheaper. Deadmonton is cheap for a city of it's size, but other than the summer festival season there is very little outside of malls and movie theatres to do. And if you're worried about the weather it does get cold here. Very cold.

If you want to move to a small town, try something like Medicine Hat or Pincher Creek. Both are in the south of Alberta so it's warmer. But be forewarned, SWeet-e is right about Alberta being the bible belt of Canada. Although there are pockets of civilization here and there it is by and large foaming-at-the-mouth conservatives (especially in the south and in many rural areas).

Job wise, as long as you have a skill you'll have no problem finding a job within 6 months (or so, in urban centres). Minimum wage blows in Alberta, so if you don't have a skill then I'd try to stay away from service/hospitality. Edmonton has a fuckload of call centres if you can stand doing that sort of stuff, and there are a lot of labour jobs in construction at the moment too (more during the summer though).

Personally though, if I were to choose anywhere in Canada to live, it would probably be somewhere near Montreal. Not necessarily in the city proper (although that would be cool if I could afford it), but somewhere within reasonable driving/train ride away.

I too was thinking about getting the hell out of dodge and moving to Canada because I was dissapointed with the election.. And after seeing a news report I didnt feel "alone" on this issue....

After much thinking though I realize its going to be a stupid mistake... Not because of Canada having differences that I wouldnt like as compared to the U.S. but the simple fact that BUsh is only going to be president for 4 more years... He cannot run again.... To become a legal resident of canada is a long process. prettty much taking as long as Bush will be in office... By the time say I get naturalized Bush's presidency will be finished and it will defeat the purpose of me leaving anyways! So for now The U.S. is where I will stay... I am in Pennsylvania right now.. mayby a change of scenery from the east coast to the west coast will be nice :)

Yes, but in 4 years he will be replaced by some other tool who will pick up exactly where he left off. Regardless of whether he's a democrat or a republican.

Here's a scary thought: Cheney as Prez. I'll bet a toonie that that's who will be the next president.

/me shudders.

speaking from experience here:

my ex boyfriend moved up here and getting citizenship is not exactly easy... it can be really expensive. i've spoken to immigration lawyers on his behalf and it can be a very tricky and expensive process.... especially for americans trying to get status in canada.

definately find a job and get a visa before coming up here. but if you don't want to do it legal there are plenty of under the table jobs. getting a student visa can be alot easier... tuition for international students for a college is about 11,000$ and a little more for universities.

and i'll have to second that kitchener-waterloo might be a nice place to start out... nice towns that aren't huge, close to toronto should you ever want to set foot here, reasonable rent, fair weather....

yup... i dig living in canada :)

aj the femme

David said:
Weed is legal in Alaska, go there if you want the cold.

rollinginecstasy said:
weed's not legal in Alaska. i used to live there. they just voted not to legalize it (again) on nov 2nd. they do have very good weed though, and the cops tend to look the other way a lot, but it's definitely not legal. if i could i would move to vancouver.

It used to be legal there up until sometime in the 80s I think. My mom otld me about how she used to smoke when it was legal there.

It's hard to move to Canada. They don't want Americans taking their jobs and mooching off their health care system.

Good things about Canada.
It's beautiful. It's seems more compassionate and humanitarian and liberal. Pretty looking money.

Bad stuff.
Hockey aka soccer on ice.

French Canadians are obnoxious and elitist in my book. Everything has to be French, this should be more French and so should that. News flash clowns: France is an ocean away. I knew this French Canadian chick that was always saying shit like "in France we blah blah blah" and I'd always say something like "That's nice, but aren't you from Canada?"

People call Americans arrogant, but I've met some really arrogant Canadians. I had a Canadian tell me that if it wasn't for Canada that the U.S. economy would collapse and we'd all starve to death. Yeah right.

I also knew this Canadian guy that would always go off about how "evenly" matched the US and Canada were, but that Canada got to where they are in a lot nicer of ways than the USA. Cha! Here's me being an arrogant yank, but I'm sorry the usa could snap it's collective finger and Canada would disappear. Call me an asshole, but most nations don't become superpowers without stomping some throats and Canada ain't no superpower.

They're also sensitive about the South Park movie.

That got a little wierd and rambling. Let me just say that I like a lot about Canada and some of people are the nicest around, it just has an overblown reputation.

call me an asshole

asshole ;)

Canadians are a lot like Americans in the sense that the dumbest and most obnoxious of us are generally the loudest. That's probably a human trait actually, not just a North American one.

I've met tons of cool Francophone people (ie. French-speakers), either Québecois or not by the way. Most were at least in some respect bilingual, and many were completely fluent in both languages. I've never had the pleasure of going to Québec, but I can't imagine it being anywhere near as bad as you say. And hey, it wouldn't kill ya to learn a few words of another language either now would it?

Also, I'm as Canadian as they get, and I fucking loathe hockey. Well, I loathe team sports in general, but hockey is almost as bad as they get (second only to North American football-- ick).

Up until the mid nineties, Canada was the US' biggest trading partner. Now it's China if memory serves, especially since the US is in a protectionist mood with its resource economy.

Most nations aren't superpowers, only one is. And the rest of the world is waiting anxiously for it to come crashing down, hoping that it doesn't take the rest of us with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.