• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Canada to legalize cannabis edibles, beverages, topicals, and extracts: December 16th, 2019

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
(This thread continues a discussion from a previous thread on Canada's cannabis legalization process.)

The Canadian government has finalized the regulations for legalizing cannabis edibles, beverages, topicals, and extracts. A document containing the full regulations and the government's rationale is available, for those who are curious. Unfortunately they stuck with the inane 10-mg-of-THC-per-package limit for edibles, despite admitting that most of the input they received was arguing against this limit. This is a huge loss for competing against the black market. On the bright side, there's no limit on the potency of extracts and each package can contain up to 1 gram of THC. Vape pens/cartridges will also be allowed.

Here are some news articles describing the regulations:

-----

Cannabis edibles available for sale legally in mid-December
Hannah Thibedeau
CBC
June 14th, 2019
New cannabis products — like edibles, beverages, topicals and extracts — will be for sale legally in Canada in mid-December.

Regulations will come into effect on Oct. 17, and the products will be available two months later, Radio-Canada has learned.

The new regulations will give authorized distributors and retailers access to three new classes of cannabis products:
  • Edibles (candy, baked goods).
  • Cannabis extracts.
  • Cannabis "topicals" (ointments, oils, makeup).
Greg Boone, CEO of the P.E.I.-based cannabis firm Dosecann, said he's excited the regulations have been finalized. For the past three years, he said, his company has been preparing for this announcement.

"That will get us into the full production of these edibles or value-added products," he said. "And the goal is to build inventory to be able to satisfy the market that we believe exists across the country for these types of products.
Read the full story here.

-----

Canadians can expect tight supply when cannabis edibles become legal mid-December, officials say
Kathleen Harris
CBC
June 14th, 2019
Canadians should expect a small initial supply of cannabis edibles when they become legal in mid-December, and the limited range of products won't include goodies that might appeal to kids, government officials say.

Officials said the licensed industry will need time to design and build their inventory before getting government approval.

"As such, adult consumers should expect to see a limited selection of products appear in stores initially, with additional products becoming available over time," said one official.

Health Canada said it could not predict how long it would take for a bigger and more diverse supply of products to hit the market. As of July 15, existing federally regulated processors can apply to Health Canada to make sure they can sell their products, and can advise the department of proposed products as of Oct. 17.

They can then make those products available for sale 60 days later.
Read the full story here.

Y'all are some sons of bitches, legalizing before the US. I'm jealous, man... Fuck you, Canada, you and your sensible god damn legislation, fuck you right to Hell.

NSFW:
For real, though, I'm happy for y'all. It's about time this part of the world started catching up with public opinion, at least concerning cannabis.

Jibult; don't be jealous about the Canadian rules for edibles. They're completely fucked. *No* edibles above 10 mg per piece per fucking package. Want a 100 mg chocolate bar. Can't buy one. Want a package of 10 10mg edibles. Nope, not that either. You will have to buy 10 separately packaged pieces of chocolate/gummies.

-no colours on either the packages or edibles themselves that might appeal to kids.
-a limit of 10 mg for a beverage. Those tasty keef colas or dixie elixirs? Capped at 10 mg per bottle. Yup, you have to drink (and buy) 10 in order to get 100 mg.

CertIain items that are currently legal and on the shelves now (40 ml bottle of 30 mg/ml THC edible oil) will be capped at 1000 mg/package. They are considered multi serving items unlike the chocolates/gummies.

My shithole province has made personal cultivation illegal and wants to make public consumption of edibles illegal. The only way around this asinine set of rules is to get a medical prescription which allows some public consumption, move to another province, etc.

Apparently Cdn politicians don't want kids humping out of windows thinking they can fly or kids eating weed plants (Lucie Charlebois, Quebec).

Only reasonable thing that can see is they are allowing vape cartridges w/up to 1000 mg and/or hash/shatter/wax (also at 1000 mg).

Tom

Oops, forgot to add that there are people w/medical reasons who may not want to/can't eat 10 pieces.

While those limits on edibles are kind of shitty, at least you're getting a foot in the door.

We're getting there down in the States, but it's so fucked how the law concerning controlled substance vary depending on which state you live in. We're fucked when it comes to recreational use, I swear. Even with alcohol, in my state I can't just buy a case of beer at the grocery store or the gas station. Nope, I've got to go to one of the hundreds of liquor stores to get anything remotely alcoholic for consumption.

But when I go across state lines it's like I'm in another world seeing entire aisles dedicated to beer and wine at the most random stores. I feel like a foreigner when I see that shit, and I don't like it one bit. The only plus is that there's literally a liquor store every quarter mile or so (and often more than one), but I feel like if it's necessary to have so many it might just be easier for everyone involved to let us buy our drinks at the grocery store.

The only reason I went off on that tangent, though, is to show that even though my country's making progress, the laws can still be ass-backwards in some cases. That said, how can public consumption of edibles be criminalized? Like... how would that kind of investigation even start? So many people eat in public, man... I feel like as long as you're not opening an edible's packaging immediately after leaving your dispensary, there's no way for LEO to know without overstepping their boundaries.

Last edited:
Jibult; you are right. You can't effectively criminalize edibles in public. But that isn't stopping the provincial conservatives from trying. My province plus Quebec and Nunavut have banned home cultivation. The federal government has indicated they will back court challenges if those 3 jurisdictions take anyone to cort for 1-4 plants. But there's an election this fall and the liberals can get pushed out. And w/o the federal government to back you, you're facing heavy fines, possible jail time and forget about ever being allowed into the States w/ a record.

But yeah, progress is being made; stores open in Maine (and Massachussets?) next year. Denver is going to allow onsite consumption; there is just no way Canada could have done this w/o some states going first.

And even though I like to complain about legal Canadian weed; at least it's cheaper than in Amsterdam and we can fly on airlines with it. Also quite odd but the black market price of weed is falling through the floor and availability of wax/shatter/etc has never been greater.

Tom

Also quite odd but the black market price of weed is falling through the floor and availability of wax/shatter/etc has never been greater.
That makes a lot of sense, since they now have competition from the legal market. They have to not only beat their prices, but beat them substantially as otherwise people will just go to the legal store.

Just some information on the types of vaporizers/pens that will be available in December

Canopy/Tweed has got Green Tank and Dosist lined up.
Oraganigrm has Pax Era
Newstrike has ccoil, 510 threaded manufacturers lined up.

It's kinda hard to figure out exactly who has exactly what since a lot of the companies that have been created are LLC's

Even though the idea of Dosist appeals to me (a precise amount of THC per draw) I don't think they are rechargeable. The Pax Era has a dual wick system. Anyone used them and have any comments about the wick burning out? Are they reliable? So far the only vape products I would be intested in are ccoil, 510 threaded refillanle tanks and wax pens. No wax pens announced yet. And I'm not sure we'll see legal enails or dab rigs either. No prices have been announced, but stuff will start hitting the shleves on December 17th. If legal weed prices are anything to go by, expect prices 2wice as much as black market. Nothing that impresses me so far.

No word on whether or not we'll be able to buy wax, shatter, etc.

Tom

Salutations Thomas Davie,

...kids eating weed plants (Lucie Charlebois, Québec).

How could i not remember such epic display of science emanating from the official (former) guru of a public health institution in my own province!! There were at least 2 dimensions to this memorable episode seen on the nation's French-speaking propaganda organ, still available for download via the linked message that follows...

Actually though, for the purpose of enhancing perspectives, here's the most determining "contribution" of Lucie "Nez Rouge" Charlebois in the present context:

[ http:// www.cqct.qc.ca/Communiques_docs/2015/PRSS_15_07_29_Sondage_Vapotage.pdf ]

« 3 Convention-cadre de l’OMS pour la lutte antitabac, Inhalateurs électroniques de nicotine, rapport, juillet 2014, p. 7.
http:// apps.who.int/gb/fctc/PDF/cop6/FCTC_COP6_10-fr.pdf »
« 11 Convention-cadre de l’OMS pour la lutte antitabac, Inhalateurs électroniques de nicotine, juillet 2014, page 2, points 3 et 5.
http:// apps.who.int/gb/fctc/PDF/cop6/FCTC_COP6_10-fr.pdf »

Which takes us back to this UN event quite precisely:

[ http:// apps.who.int/gb/fctc/E/E_cop6.htm ]
Conference of the Parties to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. - Sixth session

FCTC - Moscow (2014-Oct, 13-18) [500x300] .JPG
[ http:// oi59.tinypic.com/4jwavc.jpg ]

4.4.1 Smokeless tobacco products
4.4.2 Electronic nicotine delivery systems

« Smokeless tobacco products »
« Electronic nicotine delivery systems »

Just as if it wasn't enough for CoP6 to take place in the Russian Federation (...), while history also recorded it denied public access starting from day one, with no media allowed, nor even observers of Interpol, World Farmer's Organisation, etc.

So to put it shortly i'm somewhat surprized the winning (Prohibition v2.0) camp didn't push it a bit further by focussing on the virtues of rectal plugs (as in suppository!)...

Rectal Suppositories [640x400] .PNG

It's such a troubled world we live in, after all!

M'well, i can only hope your car sold at a fair price by the way.

;)

So, anyone noticed how language got increasingly confused equating tobacco/nicotine to SMOKING then to e-Cigs/Vaporizers?? As if there was no difference between the substances and their consumption methods! Which IMO ain't too coherent with the scientific approach initially expected by those who gave Justin MiniPÉT Trudeau his majority government in 2015, with retired astronaut Marc Garneau in the background...

Good day, have fun!! ☮

ADDENDUM:

[ https://vancouversun.com/news/local...canadas-cannabis-edibles-tight-but-also-vague ]
VC: Guidelines for Canada's cannabis edibles tight, but also vague (2019-Jun-18)

“The 10-milligram limit is the equivalent of selling alcohol only in little airline bottles to stop people from getting too drunk”

“We are treating cannabis 10,000 times more severely than alcohol, which is clearly the greater risk to health and public safety”

“I guess it’s fine to say people can eat more than one piece, but I have cancer patients who use 500 milligrams in suppositories a day and no one wants to put 50 things up their butt”

Last edited:
6qog2bS.jpg

These are public limits. Most jurisdictions do not limit what you can have at home. And yeah, I can buy 15 10 mg packages of gummies if I wanted to; but the limit on beverages is unreasonable.

Tom

In my state when they first started mmj you could get various types of concentrates, tinctures, carts, and capsules, but no buds except in vape cups. They recently allowed buds but then some jack tried to push some regulation that would limit the max allowed percentage of thc to 10% because of some study claiming weed with over 10% can cause psychosis. Thankfully their was a big backlash and it failed. Kinda stupid since we can get 80-90% thc concentrates.
Right now we can't get edibles though. We can get capsules but their not really cost effective compared to just buying a gram package of concentrate.
They have decarbed oil so I can just use that when I want to dose orally. Works nice and quick.

so you just put the decarbed extract into a capsule and swallow? works fine?

It comes in a little syringe and I'll just squirt a tiny bit on a little utensil and lick it off or put it on an almond and swish it around with some milk. It works pretty quick if you just let it absorb in your mouth.

so you just put the decarbed extract into a capsule and swallow? works fine?
It comes in a little syringe and I'll just squirt a tiny bit on a little utensil and lick it off or put it on an almond and swish it around with some milk. It works pretty quick if you just let it absorb in your mouth.
You can also (at least in Canada) buy the oil pre-encapsulated.