• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Can you mix benzos and z-drugs?

glab

Bluelighter
If you take ativan during the day can you take a z-drugs in the evening for sleep or could they dangerous potentiate each other? In the leaflet it says you shouldn't mix them. This sucks. I have anxiety AND cant sleep. Do I now have to decide wether to sleep or be anxious?! ------------ Ativan does NOT make me sleepy at all. I assume other benzos don't work for me either. For sleep I need a z-drug. --------------- Question 2) If you take z-drugs regularly do they make you less sensitive to normal benzos and cause tolerance? This would REALLY suck! I take z-drugs quite often. But I never took normal benzos in the past cause I worried about tolerance and also dementia cause benzos supposedly are linked to dementia. But my anxiety also sucks. -------- SORRY PARAGRAPHS DONT WORK

Talk to your doctor about interactions. If you are under their care, it may be fine. Just don't get high on your own supply.

1) Combining benzos and z-benzos will increase the sedation and side-effects, like the risk of blacking out etc.
It most likely won't kill you and if you keep the dose low it should be alright, but talk to your doctor about it.

2) Yes, both act on the GABA-A receptor

yeah ativan is WAY stronger than any z-drugs, taking an ambien when not even lorazepam can get you to sleep isn't going to help.
and yeah they're cross-tolerant, hence my above statement

You can mix them, they are cross tolerant, they do potentiate each other, z-drugs tend to be more selective for gabaa1 (the subtype responsible for sleep) while benzos are usually less selective and hit gabaa1, a2, a3 and a5 (a2 and a3 are the subtypes responsible for anxiolytic effects) although benzos have some selectivity... especially in lower doses (there are a few exceptions like pyrazolam which is highly selective for gabaa2 and a3, but sadly it was never approved as a medication and is only available as a research chemical..... bromazepam is it's 1,4 analogue and retains some selectivity but not nearly as much as pyrazolam.... a shame really since it could have been a great benzo for people with anxiety since it lacks the typical benzo effects like memory impairment, feeling high, ... and would thus be less likely abused and be harder to get addicted to). Z drugs also tend to have shorter half lives and can cause hallucinations. There are some Z drugs that target other gabaa receptor subtypes but none are available either as medications or from rc vendors.