View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals can you make shroom alcohol tincture

EclecticElectric

Greenlighter
if one takes ground shrooms, steep and agitate them in grain alcohol for a few days then removes the gunk/press and filter the mixture, does the resultant liquid "work"?

Yes. And it shouldn't take days!

Many people make a simple tea and 30 minutes is a sufficient steep time. Alcohol is generally a stronger polar solvent than water, so might require even shorter time.

Why bother though? Do you think it could preserve the psilocin even better than drying & freezing?

A friend of mine made a rather impotent tincture from fresh aborts during his last grow. When we get drunk we usually take a dropper or two to kick it up a notch. Can't say I've ever felt anything though. IMO psilocybin/psilocin degrades rapidly in solution and should simply be eaten fresh or just consumed quickly in a smoothie or tea.

Any idea on what the taste of such a tincture would be like?

I have tried an alcohol based psilocybin extract back when silkroad was still a thing, it was intense - it was good as they managed to use the minimum amount of liquid for the maximum amount of psilocybin.

I would recommend making this in larger quantities and measure it to say a shot a dose so its easy to calculate your quantities.

Honestly I would say the tea is just far better and easier to make, especially if you strain out the shrooms at the end, the taste just isn't as bad as the thought of it.

Try using a "chaser" - a small glass of another drink, possibly a juice, and down that immediately after taking tea or tincture. It works well.

A friend of mine made a rather impotent tincture from fresh aborts during his last grow. When we get drunk we usually take a dropper or two to kick it up a notch. Can't say I've ever felt anything though. IMO psilocybin/psilocin degrades rapidly in solution and should simply be eaten fresh or just consumed quickly in a smoothie or tea.
To clarify: you believe that mushrooms are best eaten fresh?
I saw somewhere that you can basically make weed hash except mushroom style. no eating a handful of fungi required, just a few CCs orally.
Apparently with some sulfuric acid and acetic acid (maybe) you can crystallize the psil out too.

I'm surprised that I didnt get a ton of replies. I read about the tincture in a PF TEK book. one of the growers in there quotes a friend of his as saying "dude just make this from now on!"

Yes, I think they’re best fresh, but just as a matter of preference. If I were trying to hold onto them for any real amount of time I’d dry them for storage. The stability in alcohol isn’t good as far as I can tell.