• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

can you get scary hallucinations on ambien?

alicialynn18

Greenlighter
Alright... after reading all these trip reports on deliriants like benadryl, and seeing bugs and spiders, I'm now afraid that my ambien will now start to do the same lol (since it's now in my mindset). I've never had any bad hallucinations with ambien before, just visual distortions... but can this happen? I've tried looking it up but didn't really get a straight answer. Can ambien cause scary hallucinations like deliriants?

I wouldn't expect scary hallucinations on Ambien. DPH is known to cause scary hallucinations.

It can cause hallucinations, according to what I've read. I've taken large doses of it and have never gotten them personally. However, if you stick to your prescribed dose, and haven't had ill effects already, it is highly unlikely they would start now. I am not a doctor. This is just my opinion.

Ambien is not a dileriant, nor is it a dissociative. It's a benzo.

The reason people get so messed up, are by taking to much or mixing it, and having dreams while awake, the same reason people black out on benzo's and do stupid shit.

Any halucinations you get would be from being tired/about to pass out/dreaming. More like distortions, if any, however, you're not going experience anything scary like diphenhydramine. DPH is very scary because sometimes you don't know what's real and whats not, DXM on the other hand is more in your face your tripping, and LSD is straight tripping because plants have teeth, and you now thats not susposed to happed

It's not a benzo. Zolpidem is a nonbenzodiazepine hypnotic. I myself have gotten hallucinations from it (and not in ridiculous doses, either) and several friends have reported the same. And they are of the delirium-kind, not the LSD-kind - hallucinations, not visuals.

Very uncool. With 10mg it did not happen, but with 20-30mg doses for sleeping (as tolerance grew) I would often find that instead of sleeping I'd spend a few hours looking at some real scary shit.

It's not a benzo. Zolpidem is a nonbenzodiazepine hypnotic. I myself have gotten hallucinations from it (and not in ridiculous doses, either) and several friends have reported the same. And they are of the delirium-kind, not the LSD-kind - hallucinations, not visuals.

Very uncool. With 10mg it did not happen, but with 20-30mg doses for sleeping (as tolerance grew) I would often find that instead of sleeping I'd spend a few hours looking at some real scary shit.

If you overdose on ambien what's the antidote? If you overdose on xanax what's the antidote?

Both are flumazenil, for all intensive purposes I consider the Z drugs a benzo, and at worst an "atypical' benzo.

If you overdose on ambien what's the antidote? If you overdose on xanax what's the antidote?

Both are flumazenil, for all intensive purposes I consider the Z drugs a benzo, and at worst an "atypical' benzo.

They are similar in structure and action but are definitely a group apart from benzos, or at the very least a sub-group. I haven't heard of too many people getting hallucinations from even high doses of benzos - they just fall asleep. With Z-drugs it appears to be pretty damn common, and I would say from personal experience that it's definitely not the "tired/about to pass out/dreaming" kind of hallucinations you get from them.

DXM on the other hand is more in your face your tripping

I am curious as to what you mean by this. I was going to take DXM yesterday but the only product in my house that had it was the cough and cold med that also has chlorpheniramine maleate, and thanks to bluelight I knew that the combo is dangerous. Might buy the pure DXM capsules so am curious about the type of trip you describe.

I am curious as to what you mean by this. I was going to take DXM yesterday but the only product in my house that had it was the cough and cold med that also has chlorpheniramine maleate, and thanks to bluelight I knew that the combo is dangerous. Might buy the pure DXM capsules so am curious about the type of trip you describe.

I was just trying to differntiate between the trips.

With ambien (atleast from my experiences, if others have different not sure) I find it to be like your sleep deprived, but not really tripping. With DXM you know your tripping, you have a feeling along side anything you see, and although your mind might shatter, usually you know that you'll be fine. LSD you know you took it, and you're usually fine, like I said you know plants shouldn't have teeth. DPH is a fucking disater compared to other trips. Sometimes you see things, sometimes you hear things, but whats worse if that you can't tell whats real or not. Hope that made some sense?

If you do DXM do NOT take ones with chlophen. maleate. That's what causes all the dxm related deaths from triple C's. Very dangerous, and you should just get the DXM only brand. It's not that expensive, you can buy an 8oz for like $7 and that's a good amount.

^Thanks. Yea it's great that this site exists. A couple of years ago I would have just eaten the DXM/Chlorophen Maleate pill, but I knew a quick search on here would tell me if it is dangerous. Sure enough I found out it was, so didn't take it.

My only experience with DXM was when I was like 12 years old and thought that the more cough syrup I drank, the quicker I would get better. I ended up downing about half the bottle, passed out, woke up and finished the bottle, passed out for like an hour, then woke up like WOAH... I was laughing a lot, and jumping up and down on my bed. I also had extreme visual delays (I turned my head and saw everything like 2 seconds later). I ended up falling down the stairs, and laughing hysterically while my mom wondered why I was acting that way. She found out what I did, so I had to stay home for safety reasons. She knew I didn't do it to try to get high tho.

^^beurk... DXM is just dirty poor mans ketamine IMO...

but on the subject, i've never experienced any scary hallucinations on Zolpidem (which is not a benzo, its a Z-drug... it has similarities to benzos in its mechanism but is NOt a benzo... just to clear things up)

the scariest thing i can think of when hallucinating on Zolpidem (ambien) is seeing "shadow people"... which might lead to paranoia... feeling like you're being followed... but usually you can rationalise tht fear and it will go away

since Ambien acts on the same receptors as benzos, even if I did see something paranoia provoking, would my mind be sedated enough as not to panic or get anxious?

The only "visuals" I have ever seen are plays off of shadows in my house, also some movement on wood grain items. I do agree it's more delirium, because when I am awake on ambien I am slighty crazed, hyper as hell, all over the place. Eventually I just black-out and wake up the next day.

(w/o reading other answers)

I think that if you take your ambien, as prescribed, you'll be just fine - in other words, no 'scary' stuff. Those who experience that kind of thing do so because they WANT to. They take waaaay higher doses than they are prescribed to take. So, stick to your regimen and you'll be just fine. (as you probably know tolerance to ambien goes up QUICK so try not to take it everyday)

^^beurk... DXM is just dirty poor mans ketamine IMO...

but on the subject, i've never experienced any scary hallucinations on Zolpidem (which is not a benzo, its a Z-drug... it has similarities to benzos in its mechanism but is NOt a benzo... just to clear things up)

the scariest thing i can think of when hallucinating on Zolpidem (ambien) is seeing "shadow people"... which might lead to paranoia... feeling like you're being followed... but usually you can rationalise tht fear and it will go away

No, ketamine is a rich man's DXM :)

When I was around 14 or 15 me and 2 of my best friends( a male and a female) all took some ambien. My two friends were actualy going out at the time, and recentely we had been joking about having a threesome. I don't think any of us were realy serious about doin it until that night when we took the ambien. We were in the basement and next thing I knew the girl was telling us to come up stairs and we ended up in my room. It was bad ass, but the point is we were fucked up and wouldn't have done it minus the ambien we took that night

once me and a friend were at his house he had just been prescribed ambien 10mg tabs.
i rolled a joint as son as i got there to smoke, but he brought out the bottle. i also had adderall at hand so i woulden't get tierd. so i popped 2 adderall(10mg also) and crushed up 50 mg of ambien! i did 5 lines and my friend did 1. then we walked out side with me talking about how bad that burnt, and lit up the j smoked it and came inside i took the last line making that 6 lines of ambien, and tripped so hard. The world wasent in its place anymore i was now like floating in heaven my body felt amazing. i ended up somehow getting upstairs and i was half tilted to the right trying to read my phone in the dark bathroom. The reason i couldent read my phone is because, when i would try and read the text the letters and numbers would morph to the left and i kept leaning right so my eyes would not go left. i sat on the couch and they kept morphing up, down, side to side, very fucking annoying! so i just ended up calling the person and not being able to talk, i stuttered every word(bad on my part cause i was talking to the girl that i was trying to get with..). Then we had this stupid idea to add benadryl to the dug cocktail.. oh god.. my friends mom came home and caught us so i ran out the back with 4 ambien i jacked from the bottle as soon as she walked in the door , and about 28 adderall. i ran as fast as i could out of his driveway, called my friend and she picked me up and also went to go pick up the girl i was on the phone with. when we got to her street i thought she was outside(which she wasent i was hallucinating) so i ran over to her and she wasent saying much but the hallucination said to me that we need to go to my other friends house so i walked over there with the imaginary girl walking in someones house saying hey! all doped out and saying me and kathy are here when the girl wasent even there.. soo fucked up but i have to say it was one amazing trip. i would do alot just to get my hands on some ambien again aha.

since Ambien acts on the same receptors as benzos, even if I did see something paranoia provoking, would my mind be sedated enough as not to panic or get anxious?

I doubt it, at least if you're taking sufficient doses to produce hints of delirium and hallucinations. You may be slightly sedated but in my experience, it's 50/50 whether you'll fall asleep or not. They do work on the same receptors and Ambien is a hypnotic, but in my experience there are really no anxiolytic effects and the actual body sedation isn't sufficient to combat that.

I have never encountered anything scary. Honestly its just not that strong.
And if worse comes to worse, just go to sleep....!