• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can X-rays influence drugs?

SpiralusSancti

Bluelighter
I was wondering can radiation in form of x-rays in a short time cause some chemicals to react or degrade? I know that even with intention to do so it’s very hard to create a crystal mesh/matrix (or whatever it’s correctly called in English) with molecules of two or more substances orientated in a way that some form of radiation will cause them to react creating a new substance. But if there are traces of solvents and/or if there is relative abundance of impurities could it possibly happen to some extent even from a brief exposure to x-rays?

I was wondering can radiation in form of x-rays in a short time cause some chemicals to react or degrade? I know that even with intention to do so it’s very hard to create a crystal mesh/matrix (or whatever it’s correctly called in English) with molecules of two or more substances orientated in a way that some form of radiation will cause them to react creating a new substance. But if there are traces of solvents and/or if there is relative abundance of impurities could it possibly happen to some extent even from a brief exposure to x-rays?
Not practically.

X-rays are ionizing radiation which means they can knock electrons off of atoms or molecules changing the electrical charge.

X-rays with enough energy can technically cause radiolysis, breaking molecular bonds. This 'could' degrade some molecules of a drug.

Like I said practically it's not really going to happen with the energy and time frame of irradiation.

Last edited by a moderator: