• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

can weed help depression?

missxweedies

Greenlighter
i can feel myself starting to become more depressed and was wondering if smoking will help? i'm not on any antidepressants and i'm not sure if i want to start cause i don't want to be dependent on it.

are there any other drugs that would help too?

I'd say it will make it worse, if not for the anxiety it can cause than for the fact that weed can make you ok with not getting anything done or moving forward in your life.

it might cause a deeper deppression, psychosis oraz even schizophrenia in some cases.

Weed does help with depression immediately (at least for me) but you might have to pay a price when it wears off and get even more depressed or you may get addicted to it, perhaps for life if you'll like it...8)

I've been using cannabis daily for more than 17 years. I have reduced my daily amount over time but I doubt I'd ever quit it, I like it too much. :p

Cannabis and nmental health can be a bit of a double-edge sword. I think there are a lot of factors that are at play such as genetic predisposition, traumatic life- events and mental health and addiction. Anxiety is sometimes associated with depression and cannabis can aggravate that but for some people but it can also help to relieve anxiety and depression in others. I would say that it is a very individual thing and you need to listen to your mind and body... If you find that you are become more isolated, less motivated, paranoid and anxious because of your cannabis use then it is probably better to stop. The risks also increase significantly if people are smoking large amounts throughout the day.

Cannabis can be a very therapeutic substance used for many complaints. But if you have a strong family history of mental health, or suffer from mental health issues yourself particularly schizophrenia and psychosis then its definitely not a good idea. But do reach out for help if you are depressed either way... friends, family, professionals... don't suffer in silence!

It can but you have to use it intelligently and be honest with yourself when you are abusing it or when it is not having positive effects and be willing to take breaks when that happens. If you don't think you can be honest with yourself and be willing to limit your use or take breaks, then it can easily make matters worse.

For me it has been helpful for depression by giving me a different perspective on my situation but I have also abused it and paid the price.

It gives the illusion of helping depression in the short term, but it's actually likely to worsen it gradually over the course of months. At least, that's my experience. I know because I also had depression and attempted to self medicate with weed, which like most people didn't work and just ended up making me more depressed. As far as other drugs, I obviously cannot say about all drugs that exist. However, I can say that self medication is generally not an effective way to treat depression.

are there any other drugs that would help too?

Sure, there's a ton of 'em. Self-medicating depression is a pretty foolhardy move, though, and I'd recommend you get some professional guidance before you become your own guinea pig and start fucking your mind up.

Sure, there's a ton of 'em. Self-medicating depression is a pretty foolhardy move, though, and I'd recommend you get some professional guidance before you become your own guinea pig and start fucking your mind up.
Yes, and also don't rely too heavily on any medications that you take. Counseling may end up playing a much bigger role in your recovery from it than the meds do. At least, that was the case for me.

Depends on the person I guess. Before I ever started smoking I had a lot of depressive thoughts/days. Cannabis didnt cure that. When I was baked it was somewhat gone, but once your body starts breaking down the THC you're still left with being yourself.

Don't buy an QP and think you'll never be depressed again. Personally Id be super happy anyways because I would have a QP of beautiful plant material=D

Depends on the person I guess.

I'll definitely agree to that-- some people can effectively self-medicate with illicit substances and actually be better off. The vast majority, on the other hand, simply aren't informed enough to make responsible, educated decisions whilst also being aware of potential side effects without professional help.

I didn't want to add that because, in my experience, people always tend to think they're "one of the few that it won't happen to." Granted, that may be true... but more often than not the average person is going to fuck their mental state even worse in the long run when they choose to self-medicate mental disorder, especially for an extended period of time.

I'll definitely agree to that-- some people can effectively self-medicate with illicit substances and actually be better off. The vast majority, on the other hand, simply aren't informed enough to make responsible, educated decisions whilst also being aware of potential side effects without professional help.

I didn't want to add that because, in my experience, people always tend to think they're "one of the few that it won't happen to." Granted, that may be true... but more often than not the average person is going to fuck their mental state even worse in the long run when they choose to self-medicate mental disorder, especially for an extended period of time.

I think a lot of doctors are too quick to clinicize depression, demonstrated by their enthusiasm in dishing out anti-depressants like skittles to any patient who is just having a rough patch, at least in America anyway. Can the OP clarify if he is diagnosed with depression and is currently taking antidepressants? If so cannabis, or any other drug for that matter, will not solve the root issues that are causing you to feel the way you do. I agree with Jibult, you're liable to do yourself more damage if you do smoke. You'll be clouding your mind and obfuscating the real cause of your depression. I'd suggest looking at the mental health sub-forum http://www.bluelight.org/vb/forums/270-Mental-Health and ask for more help there. The best way to approach any sort of depression is with a clear mind, support and understanding from your friends and family, and a healthy and mindful lifestyle. I don't know what more I could recommend for your current situation, as I need more details.

Last edited:
The healthiest advice if you feel blue is try to get out of your daily routine, go on vacation, visit old friends, have a romantic affair, start visiting gym daily, run or walk before sleep. And only if nothing really helps and you're trying hard, I'd suggest looking for a substance cure.

In my experience therapy might be helpful, but only if the therapist genuinely cares for his patients. In my past I've been to so many of them and looking back, it was all me who did all the work, I simply needed someone to listen to me.

Weed over the last 2 years (Ive been smoking for 10) has started to give me more and more undesirable effects like I feel burntout instead of high and i hardly smoke anything because i will get more burnt out instead of high the more i smoke and it aint nice somtimes i can soldier through it but it aint nice and I used to use it all the time for deppression as it would block it out very well and the high was A LOT more pronnounced intense clean and enjoyable than now.. its sad that it aint the same as it used to be although im not smoking as strong strains as i used to ive been smoking these and their still top of the mill for almost 2 years so

Yes and no depends on your current situation, lifestyle, and mental health.

Experienced user

That is spot on from my 2 cents it's all about experience and knowledge of how a drug such as cannabis effects you which will come with the experience

I think trying to cure depression with drugs is almost never a good idea. Most people who are feeling depressed are because of their job, relationship or any other factor in life. I have been there for several years myself. Trying to paint that over and surpressing it with drugs won't help long-term. Going to a psychologist won't really help either. The only real remedy is to make the necessary changes in life, even if it's often very hard to do so.

Short term possibly, long term will nearly certainly make it worse. Just From my own experience

Last edited:
It definitely can but it can also make it much worse.. It took me about 10 years to find a strain that worked for me and I have access to nearly any I can think of. If you'd be buying from a random dealer I'd say it probably won't help most of the time unfortunately

Yes and no depends on your current situation, lifestyle, and mental health.

Experienced user

Yeah, exactly. I'm going through opiate withdrawals and it's really helping me keep at least a little happy, but once I'm better I won't use it as a crutch so much. DMT is really helping too. I think psychedelics can totally help depression too. ​can

I have been in various life situations when it either helped or hurt my mood. I'd add physical health to that too, as since developing chronic pain and becoming depressed from that, weed helps a lot more than when I was just depressed and not in physical agony before. I didn't really need it back then.