• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can weed+downers lead to worse CNS depression?

Mch1

Bluelighter
I know that weed doesn't cause cns depression on it's own, but can taking a heavy dose of weed combined with a heavy dose of a cns depressant cause be dangerous? Sometimes if I take a large dose of a downer, my breathing will feel fine until I take weed (smoking or edibles), after which it will feel slow. Like I wait a long time between breaths. Is cannabis potentiating the respiratory depression of other drugs?

I don't believe cannabis is associated with significant respiratory depression. In fact I've heard that heavy cannabis use increases resistance to general anaesthesia via some adrenergic mechanism. I believe synthetic cannabinoids (full CB1/2 agonists) can cause clinically significant respiratory depression.

I think what your experiencing is increased awareness (ie, paranoia).

THC isn't really a depressant, and it even increases your heart rate

MCh1, I dig your avatar. My friends and I produced a four-act musical about Jack Sparrow for our senior project called "Saucy Jack". It was 2009... it was a 2.5 hour long joke about Jack Sparrow being in the closet and how his repressed sexuality was causing him most of his misfortune.

This is an interesting question and one that is totally out of my depth. I'm someone who has loved and used Cannabis since puberty, yet knows next to nothing about how it's truly produced or its chemistry. Cannabis always felt to me like a moving target, indica? sativa? Alaskan thunderfuck? Heroin seemed easier for me to understand as it is just Heroin and even if its not, it's probably an Opioid that acts in a nearly identical manner. The jury seems to be out still on Cannabis. I admittedly thought the industry would immediately change to a pharmaceutical model, extracts, pills, essentially, real, uniform dosing units. Anyway, ramble ramble.

I wouldn't consider Cannabis to be dangerous in terms of respiratory depression. I think, it could be the straw that breaks the camel's back for someone who is already heavily intoxicated and close to overdose, but I doubt it would be a major contributor. Not all sedatives produce respiratory depression in the way Opioids do. Ketamine can produce full anesthesia with little to no effect upon the patient's rate of respiration. So, I think Cannabis has stimulant and sedative properties, but I would describe it as a sedative, even if it doesn't reduce respiratory rate.

There is no respiratory depression associtated with Cannabis even when it's combined with respiratory depression drugs.

I'm pretty sure, like 99%, that cannabis don't interfere with CNS and respiration. I don't think I would have survived smoking an ounce in a night on heroin of it affects the respiratory system.

I might be wrong, but I doubt that. I've never heard about anyone smoking a bag of weed on oxy and dying because of it, for example. Ever.