View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

can we make Tryptamines & Phenethylamines type drugs from cocaine

foolsgold

Bluelighter
i was just wondering if its possible to make drugs like these from coke like we can amphetamines or would cost be to much of a factor ?

not much of a question i know brain just stopped working then

I seriously doubt it. In fact I would be shocked if it were even possible for the best chemists.

Do you mean can we make analogs of cocaine similar to how there are analogs of psychedelics? Or do you mean can we make a psychedelic cocaine analog?

Because the answer to question #1 is probably not. The answer to question #2 is no.

Not really, cocaine doesn't tickle the right receptors and you can't really turn it into something it's not.

Cocaine is just the way it is, it is too chemically distant from anything we can conceive of binding with a serotonergic receptor AFAIK.

Also I wouldn't try to modify cocaine too much even if you could model it for psychedelic binding properties, it is not a great starting compound - apart from the desirable psychoactive effects it is not good for the heart and analogues might be dangerously cardiotoxic.

Amphetamine happens to be a phenethylamine and there is overlap with psychedelics, like a continuum going from dopamine releasers to dopamine / serotonin agonists to serotonin releasers (not to mention NE).
Cocaine binds to transporters which is a totally different ballgame.... it causes reuptake inhibition like methylphenidate does but a little different, I don't think you could realistically make a psychedelic phenidate either.

Last edited:
As an academic excercise you could convert cocaine to benzoic acid and try making phenethylamines from that, but that's incredibly wasteful in light of benzoic acid's large scale manufacture for use as a preservative.

Drugs like the RTI series are made from cocaine, but they require extensive lab time before you make something usable.

cocaine is a N-methyl-tropane just like the active components of datura the modes of bicyclic substition are simliar as well . datura is hallicinogenic, but not in the way tryps and phens are. but nonetheless drugs very structurally similar to cocaine can be hallucinogenic but operate by mechanisms different to tryps and phens.

PS i think the OP means "can we make hallicinogens from cocaine by making coke analogues...ANALOGOUS TO, the way we make hallicinogenic phenethylamines from amphetamine"

the answer is yes, nature has already done so, ala daturea

Last edited:
One of these?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cocaine_analogues#Piperidine_Analogues

Maybe, nocaine reminds me of a piperazine (cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta-Chlorophenylpiperazine), and piperazines can be trippy (some more than others, pFPP is apparently).

Still you can call compounds like pFPP a far cry from psychedelics, and the steps to arrive there from the cocaine structures seem like a many. Kind of inconvenient to call them cocaine analogues at that point.

I must admit I am not really sure if the remote resemblence of nocaine and mCPP is only very superficial. A pro like sekio might have to help.