• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can too much caffeine cause sedation?

nancy145

Bluelighter
I basically have atypical narcolepsy (they don't know what it actually is but that's the best term to sum it up) and major energy and motivation problems that prevent me from functioning, so I used to use 800-1500mg of caffeine a day. My doctor prescribed me adderall and nuvigil, so I cut it down to 200-350 mg a day, but I've noticed that since I've been on the adderall+nuvigil that whenever I take 500+ now I get misreble tired and lay down because I don't have the energy to even look at my phone. I've only used 500+ twice since then, because I'm in a rough spot and experimentation with that could cause serious problems, so I don't know if i had that issue because I took the caffeine or if I took the caffeine because I was misrenly tired and was going to have that issue. That's never happened to me with any other stims before, and I've gone to really high doses with amphetamines, ritalin, provigil, and nuvigil. Anxiety makes me really tired, and like triggers my atypical narcolepsy, so that might be the reason why I reacted like that to caffeine, but if that was the case I don't understand why it never happened with any other stims/pseudo-stims or before I got on the adderall+nuvigal. I know it probably was the caffeine, but I really want to know for sure because if it wasn't I'd be able to use high doses of caffeine again, plus I'm really curious as to why it happened. I take a lot of other meds which could effect it, but I haven't made any changes in them between the time I didn't react to caffeine this way and When I did.
Morning meds:
Effexor: 175 mg
Lamictal: 150 mg
Vitamin D: not sure the dose but it's pretty high
Nuvigal: 250 mg
Adderall: 20 IR 20 XR
Night meds:
Melotonin: 6 mg
Zyprexa: 20 mg
Buspar: 20 mg(i think)
Lamictal: 150 mg

Yes it can, I've drank ups of brew and immediately went time bed, interesting dreams. Same is true with ginseng, I could take a gram and fall asleep

When did you start taking the Night meds: Zyprexa, Buspar, Lamactil and 6mgs of Melatonin 8o ?? Those can cause lethargy, fatigue and drowsiness. If not these , then yes it seems like you can be easily overstimulated with Nuvagil, Adderall and Caffeine. This can cause CNS hyperstimulation> Adrenal exhaustion. This is why caffeine should be cycled as constant doses of greater than 300-500mgs each day should include a rest period of 1 week after every 4 weeks of usage so 3-4 on and one week off.

After it wears off you'll crash and be 2x as tired as before the caffeine, was it right after you dosed? Or hrs later?

Basically you're overkill. You can only take Adderall four maybe five days in a row then your tolerance goes up. You need a strategy or schedule made up for this to work, then after a while you'll get the hang of it

Yes i am on almost identical meds and drink identical caffeine

Caffeine blocks adenosine receptors. Two important types of adenosine receptors at a1 and a2a. I dont remember which is which but antagonizing one causes sedation in rats and a decrease in dopamine release in the pleasure centers. While another causes a increase in locomotive activity and a slight increase in dopamine in the reward centers.

Please be aware sedation is not a good indicator of how your heart is working. Blocking adenosine receptors can l cause cause rapid irregular heart rates.

Yes i am on almost identical meds and drink identical caffeine

Caffeine blocks adenosine receptors. Two important types of adenosine receptors at a1 and a2a. I dont remember which is which but antagonizing one causes sedation in rats and a decrease in dopamine release in the pleasure centers. While another causes a increase in locomotive activity and a slight increase in dopamine in the reward centers.

Please be aware sedation is not a good indicator of how your heart is working. Blocking adenosine receptors can l cause cause rapid irregular heart rates.
Yes a doctor checkup may need to be in order

The amount of stimulants you are taking during your day, and the amount of depressive medications you are taking at night is one scary combination for the heart.

Think of it this way, you are forcing your heart to work on over-drive, pumping and powering neurotransmitters in your brain that are already depleted, tired, and unable to keep up with the load. In addition to this, you are then forcing your heart to slow down unnaturally at night. This type of sedation and then turbo the next day, as others have said, is overkill. Keep this up and the consequences will begin to pile. No one can give you a timestamp, but it will begin to take a toll on the immune system which will then cause all sorts of problems. If you don't begin to sleep naturally, and get a restful sleep in all aspects of brain waves and sleep stages, well yeahh...answer that on your own.

To answer your question, you are beginning to feel tired because your thoughts are unable to keep up with your neurotransmitter response. The drugs are beginning to shape your personality in to one that requires pleasure to stay up, thus you speak of narcolepsy.

Caffeine will make you tired when it cannot stop adenosine from bonding (receptors cannot accommodate caffeine?)

Please, lay off everything for a bit. Adderall in itself is one hell of an upper, paired with everything else. Oh my gosh.

Don't be taking more than 5,000 IU of Vitamin D a day.

If you are going to stick with a day med, don't let it be caffeine + either nuvigal or Adderall.

You are needing night meds because your body is unable to fall asleep naturally, because of all your morning meds.