• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Can thc edibles help with heroin and alcohol detox?

All the tacos

Bluelighter
I had this friend that was a severe alcoholic. Like the kind that would die if he quit drinking.
Every time i made a batch of edibles i would give him a few and noticed he wouldnt drink nearly as much as he did without them.
That got me to thinking could edibles actually cure alcoholism and heroin addiction and other addictions. I know from experience that just smoking weed helps me when im craving meth. Unfortunately i cant smoke weed due to probation and ive been off meth for 3 years.

I got an uncle my mom's cousin when he gets off the drink he smokes hash and it keeps him off the drink but eventually, he gets back on it. When I'm back in the states i won't touch what they call heroin because it is not heroin its fent and edibles along with the knowledge that it not heroin keeps me good so I think it can but once I come back to the UK for my business im backl on the gear . I think it can and i hear off people who use weed to keep them of the gear or drink

Alcohol and Cannabis interact with different parts of the brain, Alcohol interacts with the GABA system a lot just like benzos do (Xanax, Diazepam etc) which is why the main symptoms of quitting either alcohol or benzo are very similar mainly being anxiety. That being said, there are people out there who self-medicate using alcohol or illicit substances its a hard world these days and imagine being undiagnosed ADHD, Autism or ADD for example then we are expected to behave and react in only appropriate acceptable ways within society and this can be too much pressure and decline their mental health significantly.
So in this case i would never advise anyone to simply 'switch to cannabis' from alcohol if they are that far in, as it is possible to have seizures and other serious issues when a heavy drinker abruptly stops drinking suddenly. In general it would be a healthier switch but also sometimes people really shouldnt be using either cannabis or alcohol when they have these issues i mentioned already its best to let them be examined to find out the root cause of this excessive need to consume Alcohol, Drugs, Games (yes im serious) , impulsive sex/relationships.

Just want to ride Darkside's coattails here, because that post is absolutely on-point.

With heroin and alcohol detox, weed can absolutely help but not on the physical level. It's not going to eliminate any of the w/d symptoms, so if that's what you want you can get it out of your head right now.

What it can do, however, is make those symptoms more bearable. It can allow you to not focus on them and kind of compartmentalize how shitty you're feeling. It's not going to do anything to make the process go by more quickly or painlessly, but it can make that time seem much less insurmountable and give you the morale boost you need to stick with your detox.

*I say that weed can help because, depending on how you react to the drug and the strains you indulge in, the exact opposite can occur and could drive you to relapse pretty quickly. It's all about knowing yourself and how you'll most likely react under the influence.

I've always felt that weed is hit or miss during withdrawal from anything. I think it helps most psychologically more than anything, because like others have said it does not counteract withdrawal in any way, maybe other than making eating food a bit easier.

Alcohol and Cannabis interact with different parts of the brain, Alcohol interacts with the GABA system a lot just like benzos do

Cannabis also has an antagonistic effect on the GABA system (which contributes to the anxiety inducing effects of cannabis)

I do not suggest cannabis for alcohol withdrawal or benzos, at least for the first few days. It's has a very real antagonistic effect on GABA and will make it worse and bring out DTs or hallucinations, yet it has other factors which might help a bit.

It's iffy if anything for GABAergic withdrawal

However, if you already have a decent tolerance to THC before withdrawal - go for it, you'll be fine.

I'm mainly talking about using cannabis without any tolerance during withdrawal.

cannabis does have some kind of effect ( https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14615281/ ) it seems that CBD and its effect on Anandamide particularly , i think some high CBD hash could help somewhat i guess but it depends entirely on the person as well we are all individuals who will react differently. Drinking or Benzo withdrawal is absolute hell though and the interaction cannabis would have positively on the GABA system whilst a heavy withdrawal is in place would be pretty miniscule in terms of dependence alcohol and benzos are right up there in intensity , again ymmv

cannabis does have some kind of effect ( https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14615281/ ) it seems that CBD and its effect Anandamide particularly , i think some high CBD hash could help somewhat i guess but it depends entirely on the person as well we are all individuals who will react differently. Drinking or Benzo withdrawal is absolute hell though and the interaction cannabis would have positively on the GABA system whilst a heavy withdrawal is in place would be pretty miniscule in terms of dependence alcohol and benzos are right up there in intensity , again ymmv
yeah, so many factors here

I'm really talking about extremes here. Extreme withdrawal + large cannabis dose with no tolerance.

dont you think that could make someone feel a lot worse too though? if ive had loads of caffeine then get stoned for example sometimes its not an enjoyable high at all where as when im not overstimulated its chill and nice

dont you think that could make someone feel a lot worse too though? if ive had loads of caffeine then get stoned for example sometimes its not an enjoyable high at all where as when im not overstimulated its chill and nice
precisely

I've had experiences with cannabis where it highlighted my pain, anxiety and discomfort instead of helping it.

I remember once I broke my toe on vacation. I hadn't smoked in 2 weeks, then got SUPER stoned when I got home.

The pain from the broken toe was minimal, but when I got really stoned suddenly the pain was amplified 10x for some reason. I became hyperaware of my broken toe and couldn't stop thinking about it.

I feel like cannabis helps with inflammation pain, but not ACUTE pain.

I agree. It all depends on the person and their tolerance to thc.

precisely

I've had experiences with cannabis where it highlighted my pain, anxiety and discomfort instead of helping it.
Ive had my first panic attack after i got out of the hospital for diverticulitis. At the time i had no tolerance to thc and when i smoked i thought i was bleeding lots more than i was. I guess it all depends on the person and what they are comfortable with.
Its just a thought though. I know a lot of people that are stuck on the sauce and addicted to various drugs.
Weed helped me get off neth but thats just my personal experience. I know everyone is different

I had this friend that was a severe alcoholic. Like the kind that would die if he quit drinking.
Every time i made a batch of edibles i would give him a few and noticed he wouldnt drink nearly as much as he did without them.
That got me to thinking could edibles actually cure alcoholism and heroin addiction and other addictions. I know from experience that just smoking weed helps me when im craving meth. Unfortunately i cant smoke weed due to probation and ive been off meth for 3 years.

I am an alcoholic it has been 5 years 10 months and 21 days since my last drink.

I have been on thc as an edible for 11 years and 2 months. Thc use made me not bother to drink, I didnt feel like I was missing anything. I never began thc to quit drinking it was a side effect.

I drank about a 26 oz vodka a day for about the last 15 years. I spent over $800 a month on alcohol at my worst point and that lasted til I ran out of money and had only my edible weed.

Thc supplies increased dopamine availability and allows you to think and act clearly vs alcohol that is just poison shutting down your body.

The big surprise to me was I was busy killing myself on liquor flushing my life down the toilet and weed (the illegal drug) woke me up and changed my life.

I've always felt that weed is hit or miss during withdrawal from anything. I think it helps most psychologically more than anything, because like others have said it does not counteract withdrawal in any way, maybe other than making eating food a bit easier.

Cannabis also has an antagonistic effect on the GABA system (which contributes to the anxiety inducing effects of cannabis)

I do not suggest cannabis for alcohol withdrawal or benzos, at least for the first few days. It's has a very real antagonistic effect on GABA and will make it worse and bring out DTs or hallucinations, yet it has other factors which might help a bit.

It's iffy if anything for GABAergic withdrawal

However, if you already have a decent tolerance to THC before withdrawal - go for it, you'll be fine.

I'm mainly talking about using cannabis without any tolerance during withdrawal.
I've been having a difficult time describing this exact thing and I think you got really close to explaining it.

At the beginning of this year I was going through mild to moderate alcohol withdrawal and I started experimenting with slightly higher doses of THC than I normally take, specifically delta 8 THC. The alcohol withdrawal symptoms got worse when I did this causing me to be useless for days at a time. It got me off of it.

I still wouldn't recommend it but it worked in this particular scenario.

When I quit heroin I also quit weed for the first two weeks of heroin withdrawal. Cold turkey. Again, difficult to recommend to someone.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯