• REAGENT TESTING & DRUG CHECKING Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Featured Link 1 Featured Link 2
  • RT&DC Moderators: arrall

Can Someone PLZ Test Cocaine with Mandelin? Forensic Sources Conflict on Results!

Ekstasis-//7

Bluelighter
Hi guys,
Can someone please test a few batches of decent cocaine with Mandelin and post the results? Also please test with Marquis to make sure you get no reaction (as batches cut with (meth)amphetamine will go yellow to orange for Marquis) THANK YOU. If you have Mecke, Simons and Robadope and can test the coke with that too then even better!!

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm trying to get the most accurate info out there to help out harm reduction/pill & powder testing. There are many harm reduction sites, some even selling Mandelin specifically for reacting to cocaine. Amongst my own documents I only find conflicting information and it's been years since I tested cocaine with a test kit.

For example here are some different forensic documents on the reaction of cocaine to Mandelin:
Orange - Forensic Chemistry by David E. Newton 2007

Deep orange yellow - Forensic Science International - Validation of Twelve Chemical Spot Tests for the Detection of Drugs of Abuse by Carol L. O'Neal, Dennis J. Crouch and Alim A. Fatah, 1999

No Reaction - Journal of Forensic Sciences - Spot Tests: A Color Chart Reference for Forensic Chemists by S. H. John, A. A. Wist and A. R. Najam 1978

Hi all,
I have seen both, where cocaine can go a little orangey as well as no reaction at all.
I dare to say that really pure cocaine does not react with mandelin. We have tried this with a 99.9% reference sample that we use for calibration of the gc/ms, bought from a company, 99.9% purity guarantee. My educated guess here is that the orangey color probably comes from impurities that come from improper synthesis and are left in the cocaine. Sometimes a crucial last step in synthesis is skipped (time contraints, availabity of the chemicals needed, no interest in weight loss) where they clean up the coke with potassiumpermanganate. This step rectifies the coke from other very similar alkaloids that are found in coca plants. The high from this coke is said to be more jittery, rather than a somewhat stoned effect. sometimes, researchers have to work with whatever they can get and this can lead to false conclusions...
hth,

Last edited:
testing coke with simons and robadope doesn't really make a lot of sense, it's a tropane-like substance?

Hi All,
we just tested this with a 100% pure sample, legally obtained from a chem supplier: no reaction!

Just wanted to note that this source also mentions an orange reaction. As does this one, but upon further reading its reactions are quoted from the Forensic Science International paper mentioned above.

EZ: What form did the sample you tested come in? Was it freebase or HCl? Also could it be possible that the modified reagent doesn't react to cocaine? Or do you think the orange comes from some leftover reagent or adulterant?

SAM_2151-1.jpg
Cocaine HCL, leaves mandelin unchanged. maybe they're referring to the natural yellow/orange color of mandelin? I don't know.
but cocaine does not react...I think any reaction seen with mandelin comes from either an adulterant or those naturally occuring substances that are in cocaine.