• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Can someone make sense of this data re: AMT/5-MeO-AMT and 5-HT2B?

MagickalKat777

Bluelight Crew
I'm curious if one or both of these are full agonists... Out of all the drugs I abused, 5-MeO-AMT was one of the heaviest and apparently according to an article I found online, the primary activity of both AMT and 5-MeO-AMT is 5-HT2B agonism, not 5-HT2A but I don't know how to make sense of the raw data.

Here's the quote

AMT and 5-MeO-AMT appear to inhibit the NET. Both drugs act as 5-TH2A receptor agonists,
which may not be anticipated by users who seek only stimulant effects. The difference in
potency between the two compounds and the tendency of online supplies and users alike to
confuse them or substitute them for one another may lead to unexpected experiences. Most
worrying, though, is that the most potent activity that both compounds possess is agonist
activity of the 5-TH2B receptor
, suggesting that prolonged use would lead to heart valve
fibrosis and subsequent heart failure.

Here is the article with the full data: https://bps.conference-services.net/resources/344/3654/pdf/PHARM13_0085.pdf

I used to use both of them 3-5 times a week... 5-MeO-AMT I even got up to 30mg daily at one point... Yes... 30mg...

First of all, it's only an abstract so the data may not be final and it's never been through peer review. The pharmacology isn't anything new. AMT is known to be a nonselective monoamine releaser, a reversible MAO inhibitor, and it activates 5-HT2A/2B/2C receptors and potentially other monoamine receptors. Adding the 5-methoxy group increases the potency at 5-HT2 sites, but it is probably still an active releaser (although that may not make a prominent contribution to its typical effects because 5-MeO-AMT produces so much 5-HT2A activation at low doses).

They are using an in vitro model to assess vascular effects, and what they found is consistent with the known pharmacology. That means that chronic use could potentially produce problems via 5-HT2B, in addition to potential effects on the vasculature that might be harmful to someone with cardiovascular disease.

Last edited:
So we really have no idea if it's a partial or full agonist? If there were ever any drugs I truly abused it was these two. And MDMA which is a partial agonist. What concerns me is that the main activity was found to be at 5-HT2B although from the sound of it, it was inconclusive on 5-MeO due to its much higher affinity for 5-HT2A than AMT (which is probably at least part of the reason it makes you hallucinate so much more at equivalent doses ie, 30mg of AMT to 5mg of 5-MeO-AMT)...

I'm going in for a Holter... But something told me to look the two up and unfortunately that's all I could find that's public.