• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Can someone help me understand what happened? (Possible Serotonin Syndrome?)

Mcc1991

Greenlighter
Hi guys just a quick note, im new to this site and sorry if the post is a bit long or in the wrong place but im just hoping to clear something up.

Basically I attended a festival back a few months ago and It would be only the 2nd time Ive tried MDMA (first time was back in 2011 at a rave). I wanted to re-capture the great euphoria and general awesomeness the drug makes you feel so I bought what i believe to have been about 3 grams and decided i was going to take it over the three days.

Friday. Drunk lots of alcohol and smoked a lot of weed but decided not to do any MDMA on this day.

Saturday. Took a decent size bomb around 5pm maybe 250mgs (i apologize i cant give exact doses im a complete newbie to this) had a great time and around 9pm decided to have a heavier re-dose to watch the headliner. Now i should also state i lost all my mates at this point so I was on my own in the crowd but anyway this roll was nothing like what I had experienced before. I was just hallucinating wildly and the time seemed to go on forever. After the gig I went back to the tent and was like a zombie until I finally fell asleep.

Sunday. The final day so I wanted to go out with a bang and still had quite a bit of MDMA left. After saturday nights roll i should of sold the stuff and just stuck to alcohol but hindsight is a wonderful thing. So around 4pm i had my first bomb. Put a fair bit in there Im guessing around 125mgs and nothing happened! I decided to wait until around 8pm when we were heading to the main stage to dose up. I made myself 3 bombs and i put absolutely loads in each one. Im guessing maybe around half a gram in each one. (maybe a bit less than that but again I apologize) but I do know it was too much. I bombed the first one 8.30pm.. and i only started coming up mildly. Re-dosed around 10pm and it didnt really make the high more powerful it just seemed to prolong it. Stupidly I then took the last one aswell. This is where the nightmare kicked in. I just felt as if my body was aching and had a bad headache so i headed back to camp to chill out. Then the hallucinations started kicking in and my mouth was just so dry i felt like i couldnt even swallow. Speech was slurred badly aswell. I actually thought I was going to die it was honestly the worst experience in my life. I was just sat in my chair gazing into nothing not completely aware of my surroundings just thinking purely that im gonna die. As you can imagine the come down the next day was awful.

Looking back on it now I realise I acted very stupidly, abused the drug and faced the consequences. When I got home I had the usual symptoms of a heavy weekend but got over it after about a week or so and since then I keep thinking that ive done some long term damage? After a quick browse on this site I have saw 'Serotonin Syndrome' pop up a lot. Is this what i experienced? Are the effects long term?

I plan not to take MDMA again anytime soon and havent touched it since then (august) but hopefully in the future i can take it again but this time much more responsibly. My main concern is will I get a good high off it if I take it again? Or have i damaged my serotonin receptors forever???

Sorry for the long ass post, its just im quite worried and I didnt wanna leave too many details out. Thanks in advance :)

serotonin syndrome should not occur with mdma alone, even with huge doses. besides, serotonin syndrome is a life threatening condition, so it's definitely not what you experienced.

you did too much even on the first night, and that you didn't feel much off a normal dose on the second night is no wonder. some people can roll (with normal doses) two nights in a row and some can't. serotonin doesn't replenish that fast.

what you say about your second night isn't too out of the ordinary for a huge dose either. slurred speach, hallucinations and headaches are more or less to be expected with that amount.
but we have no idea how large your second dose actually was, and research in the dosage range i'd suspect is rare, so there's no way to tell for sure if some neurotoxicity has occured. my guess would be: probably not if you didn't overheat.
serotonin receptors are recycled constantly by your cells, so there's no way to damage them forever. but your brain adapts to keep its neurochemical balance, so receptor densities may take a long while to return back to normal and most stimulants can cause a (semi)-permanent tolerance when abused, so it's certainly possible that you wouldn't be experiencing the full effects from mdma in a few years. but no one knows if that's true until you try (not that you should do that in the near future).

as you're feeling fine, i wouldn't worry about having damaged anything (a common cause for feeling as if you had damaged your brain is obsessing and worrying about that), but i suggest you don't take mdma any time soon. give your brain time to find its balance again.

Holy cow man that second day amount is massive.

If you do decide to do MDMA again, please make sure to test your product. Depending on where your from, a lot of other chemicals are sold as copy cats of real MDMA

Thanks for the replies :) Ahh thats such a relief to hear I was so worried I had done some serious damage. I dont think that I overheated, It was just the hallucinations and dryness in my mouth but as you said that is normal with the stupid amount id taken.

I do plan on trying it again but that probably wont be till next summer so hopefully my brain should have found its balance by then but obviously im going to be a lot more responsible this time round. Yeah i really need to get one of those testing kits for next time where can i pick one up to? Also that could be another reason for my bad reaction maybe the stuff I bought had something mixed with it, but im pretty sure it was the amount more than the actual product.

See here. You'll find links to testkit vendors there, along with some useful tips on how to use MDMA wisely :D welcome to bluelight

My main concern is will I get a good high off it if I take it again?

Yep. As high as a fucking kite.

Or have i damaged my serotonin receptors forever???

Drug-induced 'damage' is rarely ever permanent. It just causes temporary changes hence why we experience comedowns before going back to normal. The severity of a comedown is usually determined by how much you take/ how hydrated you remain. If you take really high doses ramping up the body temperature and drink no water you'll cause more damage than if you stay hydrated on really high doses. Regardless, after a few weeks you should be back to normal.

Remain critical when you read around the internet. Serotonin Syndrome is extremely rare and can't occur from just MDMA alone (you need to take two things that will increase serotonin together). If you had SS you wouldn't be here posting on BL you'd be in hospital. You just took much MD and discovered the dark side of the drug. Higher doses don't necessarily mean more fun. In fact, it's usually the opposite. Keeping doses in the range of 100-250mg over the course of the evening will produce all of the good effects, avoid most of the bad ones and usually has a smooth comedown.

The sheer amount you took makes me anxious as fuck. That's way to much man. You need like 100 mg for a good roll on your 2nd roll NOT 3 grams.

If your not feeling to bad now I would say your probably in the clear. Just take it easy for awhile and be sure to invest in a testkit for future rolls might you do that at a later date.

Thanks guys been such a relief reading thsese posts. So fu**ing stupid taking that amount. Honestly from one of the best experiences in my life it quickly turned into one of the worst. I remember at one point I was praying that I wouldnt die.... scary shit man. Anyway im much more aware now of what can happen when you abuse a drug and if theres one thing ive learnt its to treat it with respect!

Dont abuse the drug and it wont abuse you....If you are gonna re-dose, please dont overdo it. Use your head and dont do what I did and learn the hard way!

Last edited: