• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Can Seroquel act as an antidepressant?

ParappaTheRapper

Ex-Bluelighter
I know that Seroquel is classified as an atypical anti-psychotic, but can it also act as an antidepressant?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4077390/

Review says yes even as monotherapy in bipolar depression. Augmentation is pretty common in major depression, and quetiapine xr is being reviewed further for monotherapy.

My friend who takes 50 to 100 PRN during the day as well as a dose at night would certainly say yes as well, but that's neither here nor there.

One mechanism behind its antidepressant effect is that its primary metabolite is a potent NRI, among other effects. While the parent drug may not share these effects, it indirectly produces them via active metabolites
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24062697

The available data are sufficient to arrive at the conclusion that antidepressant activity of quetiapine is mediated, at least in part, by the active metabolite norquetiapine, which selectively inhibits noradrenaline reuptake, is a partial 5-HT1A receptor agonist, and acts as an antagonist at presynaptic α2, 5-HT2C, and 5-HT7 receptors.

The reference describing norquetiapine as an NRI was posted by Balls 4 posts up.

NRI's are shit antidepressants. I bet it's due to D2 autoreceptor antagonism, increasing the firing of mesolimbic DA neurons.

I see it prescribed most frequently for the treatment of psychosis and bipolar disorder. It seems to be used as more of a last resort in major depression

I remember I got into an accident yrs ago and some half ass doc at the chiropractor prescribed me this shit. Had me walking round like a zombie for a few days straight

What type of Depression?
Perhaps for those that don't respond to regular mood stabilizers as it's an atypical it 'could be' used, but it's not meant for merely depression. It is used mostly at night for sleep… and short lived. There is an extended release version now, but if you're going to use an atypical psychotic for depression (and this is usually bipolar type), I wouldn't use Seroquel, at least not in the day. It does have its sister meds like Zyprexa or Risperdone.

I've taken them all, before (just ime), and would use one of the others prior to Seroquel, unless you take it at night. It causes RLS which really sucks! If you have any insomnia though it WORKS, for that.

Atypical antipsychotics can occasionally be really helpful as augmented therapies for treatment resistant depression. I found I had been doing SSRIs for a long time with no relief, but I started on aripiprazole and had almost instant relief. Since it prevents the reuptake of dopamine your brain has to make more (I think? Can anyone confirm this?) and apparently my big problem was dopamine. I am also on an SNRI (milnacipran hcl) for my fibromyalgia and that hadn't helped either.

I have bipolar disorder and i find that Quetiapine works better on the depression part of it rather then the manic part. This is opposed to risperidone which does nothing for depression and can actually make it worse.

Here Seroquel XR is marketed as a anti-depressant for unipolar depression as well even as a monotherapy. I don't really get along with most anti-depressants so id rather take that.

Yup^
I have a little bipolar in me, not extreme. I got on Paxil once and I felt very compulsive, but at the same time, I accomplished a lot scholastically I wouldn't have without it. Double edge for me..
Odd, cos SNRI's especially Strattera knocks me out, put me in bed for 2 weeks when I started it.. but worked thereafter once I was maintained on it.

Ya, anti-depressants can actually INDUCE mania in bipolar.

Well yes that's well known. Some anti-depressants have a lower risk of causing mania then SSRI's or SNRI's namely bupropion (Wellbutrin aka Zyban) which is a Dopamine Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor and usually the first anti-depressant doctors will try on bipolar patients. Although it still can trigger mania in some people it's just less likely to as it does not effect serotonin in any significant way. Oddly enough even though the Tricyclic Amitriptyline is technically just a SNRI with strong anti-cholinergic effects i have had no problem taking it in the past for chronic pain and bipolar depression in doses of up to 150mg's a day which is the max outpatient dose. The newer and supposedly more selective SNRI Venlafaxine aka Effexor on the other hand drove me completely manic to the point where i was out of my mind. I was scripted Effexor before i was diagnosed as having bipolar though. The tricyclic Trimipramine which is a strong Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (and of course a potent anti-cholinergic) and a mild atypical anti-psychotic due to it's weak Dopamine antagonism is another anti-depressant that i can tolerate with barely any side effects except the usual dry mouth and other anti-cholinergic side effects.

So it seems that for some reason i can tolerant tricyclic anti-depressants fairly well even though they get a bad rep for triggering mania. Why this is i don't know but perhaps the muscarinic receptors play some role in stabilizing mood. I know Scopolamine a potent anti-muscarinic has been tested and shown promise in treating either Unipolar or Bipolar depression i forget which.

Has anyone mixed this with alcohol? Meaning, how many hours after how many number of drinks do you have to wait to dose your seroquel script?

Seroquel isn't a cns depressant, but still I wouldn't mix the 2. I'm alive and I used to mix Seroquel with H, benzos etc, but not a good idea. If you're going to do it, I would wait til after the peak of the alcohol sets in… a few hours.. drink a bunch of water first.