• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alcohol Can methanol/isopropanol withdrawal cause hallucinations?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
I think some of you read my story of being admitted to A&E with toxic amounts of methanol, isopropanol, and ethylene glycol in a desperate attempt to get drunk. Luckily, there was no damage to my retina or kidneys but I remember during the week I felt horrible withdrawals.

Firstly, I got extreme anxiety and paranoia that I was in a psych ward involuntarily and not a hospital. When patients talked, I thought I heard them calling my name and this wasn't made great by a few randomly greeting me. I almost wanted to push over one of the nurses but I realized I'd probably get the hospital police detain me. I also had vivid nightmarish dreams twice which the doctor said might have been caused by the toxic alcohol withdrawls or the antidote, fomepizole.

I should say that I'd been drinking the stuff for a week straight and even drinking that much ethanol straight would have caused withdrawal symptoms probably worse since the half life is shorter than methanol or isopropanol.

Does anyone know?

I'm sure it can, as GABAergic drug withdrawal in general causes delirium and hallucinations.

God you're so lucky you didn't get more damage after drinking methanol for a week. So lucky.

I'm sure it can, as GABAergic drug withdrawal in general causes delirium and hallucinations.

God you're so lucky you didn't get more damage after drinking methanol for a week. So lucky.

I heard that isopropyl alcohol blocks the formation of formic acid. Methanol itself is pretty safe but its metabolites are toxic.

Thank God the EU banned pure methanol last year in windshield washer fluid. I didn't really consider how dangerous it was. Had I drank a pure version of windshield washer fluid I'm certain I'd be completely blind or dead now.

The ethylene glycol as well. That stuff is incredibly toxic. OP is very, very lucky to have survived drinking those chemicals (for a week nonetheless), nothing short of miraculous really.

Wow, really glad to hear you didn't do any damage. I think it certainly can. I stopped drinking and taking phenibut after only a few weeks of heavy daily use and I certainly got some minor hallucinations. Little flashes of light, random sounds, weird physical sensations that sort of thing. Also got very twitchy and I'm really lucky I didn't have a seizure. Hope you start feeling better soon.

The ethylene glycol as well. That stuff is incredibly toxic. OP is very, very lucky to have survived drinking those chemicals (for a week nonetheless), nothing short of miraculous really.

Well not really, afaik, ethylene glycol, isopropanol and ethanol (which I consumed at some point) block alcohol dehydrogenase from metabolising methanol and antifreeze into their toxic metabolites. I said I didn't thankfully drink pure methanol.

I just learned from receiving blood tests that I had 2900mg/L or 290mg/dL of methanol in my blood which I'm lucky not to have died from or gone blind.

You certainly are lucky. I hope you don't feel compelled to do that again...

True, it doesn't always stop at blindness.

Bootleg Liquor Kills 100 In India's Worst Outbreak In Years
india-bootleg-liquor_custom-59065b015ebe7dd335df5b5f3e58de9a3478398f-s800-c85.jpg

"Autopsies show traces of methanol, a chemical that attacks the nervous system. Illegally made liquor is widespread in India, where many can't afford brand-name alcoholic drinks."

It was the Ethanol that saved you.
I think Ethanol in the IV line it is one of the options doctors have to treat methanol poisoning.

It was the Ethanol that saved you.
I think Ethanol in the IV line it is one of the options doctors have to treat methanol poisoning.

Didn't see your reply there but that's spot on its the first thing to do if you ingest methanol

I think it is the optic nerve that gets killed first by the formaldehyde from methanol, dunno about the retina.
Formepizole and ethanol both work by inhibiting alcohol dehydrogenase, and therefore preventing the formation of the toxic metabolites.

not to drift off topic but I'm actually surprised that methanol is so very easily available. I imagine in the future it will be banned and people will use it in poisonings or mass murders (like the Tylenol poisoning) by switching normal ethanol in beer with methanol.