• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Can Methadone+MDMA cause Serotonin Syndrome.

Echotango

Bluelighter
I came across this Thread https://www.bluelight.org/xf/threads/⫸dangerous-drug-combos⫷.795784/page-8#post-14605834

It says Methadone and Fentanyl and I read on the internet Oxycodone produces Serotonin but in this Link to a bluelight thread it says Methadone has potential for Serotonin Syndrome. I am very curious about this... I should mention I am a LONG-TIME lurker for years and only just made an Account and I am EXTREMELY regretting it. I created an Account for Threads like these and all I want is not to die and help others not make stupid mistakes... like what this might possibly be I would really appreciate any help from someone about this Subject Genuinely, please.

SHORT VERSION of the question... can people on Methadone Maintenance Therapy get Serotonin Syndrome if they use MDMA!? Please help as it is the Summer and I really want to roll with my girlfriend but she's on Methadone and I just got off of it and went back on my Fentanyl Patches and break through meds which does fuck all for my pain. After reading this it has me a bit scared to give her some now as I know how dangerous/possibly fatal with what very little we know about Serotonin Syndrome?

A case of serotonin syndrome associated with methadone overdose. - PubMed - NCBI
Well there are a few Threads I found on bluelight.org one of them talks about a High Dose DXM use with everyone saying Methadone and a Dextromethorphan Trip will cause Serotonin Syndrome so I had no idea about this. I'm glad I never decided to trip on Dextromethorphan when on Methadone if this is even true?

I can't see why moderators specifically would be Posting this stuff about Methadone if it can cause Serotonin Syndrome easily from DXM use wouldn't MDMA be worse? I'm sorry but I can't seem to find the Bluelight Thread discussing DXM and Methadone anywhere on Google I came across it when trying to figure out if this is true or not since I would imagine a lot more people would be dead and or talking about it?

Error - Cookies Turned Off
I would Cite more Sources but that is what I am here looking for? Or at least an Educated answer. Since just because you never experienced it or know whether you experienced very subtle Serotonin Syndrome we really have no idea how it works 100% and all of the symptoms etc.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated as I just got off Methadone and went back on my Fentanyl patches with break through meds at such a low dose it does fuck all for my pain. My girlfriend is on Methadone Maintenance Therapy still though and has no plans to wean down off it... that is all thank you for reading this.

Last edited:
Well, it really seems that methadone binds to the serotonin transporter with an affinity that is not insignificant if you have a high opioid tolerance and are taking large amounts of methadone...

Some people may be a lot more susceptible to serotonin syndrome than others, so seeing someone take a particular risky combo without experiencing side effects doesn't mean that you can do it too.

That is what I'm saying so does this mean Methadone and MDMA together will cause/could cause Serotonin Syndrome she is at 90MG right now is that considered high dose? Serotonin Syndrome has so much we still don't know about it's side-effects even etc. etc.

Don't forget the Fentanyl Patch I'm wearing everyday unless that is not enough of a Serotonin transporter as Methadone?

OH! Thank You for your answer it's responsible replies like this that could save fucking lives you feel Me. I really wish I could find more Studies on this specific subject so I'm trying to find someone that is smart here that might be able to give Me an Educated guess to the best of there knowledge. This is the best Sub-Forum I can think of, I tried the MDMA subject mainly sub-forum first but it has such little traffic and the answer I got from someone is it never happened to them so I'm good lol?

Last edited:
I assume that if people on Methadone would get Serotonin Syndrome at least severely enough to Hospitalized. What if they think people are having a bad reaction to MDMA but it SS even if they are not on MDMA since everyone is more sensitive to it and what Dose of Methadone would be considered a high enough Dose for it to be enough of a "Serotonin Transporter" to cause Serotonin Syndrome with someones best Educated Guess as if there is only a very very slim chance of it happening since I think a lot more people would be dropping dead like flies from using Methadone and MDMA together right?

Serotonin Syndrome is not joke and I'm pretty sure it almost killed me.I mixed a high dose of meth and was on Prozac at the time.That night I started to struggle to catch my breath and was pouring wet profusely.I had 3 seizures, my legs were shaking in a crazy way almost like when your Robotripping.By the time I made it to the hospital I was running 104 fever.They broke the fever and I slowly came back to normal.Crazy Scary shit

Ya holy shit but I think my girlfriend is safe on 90MG of Methadone Vs. Crystal Meth unless you Meth as in Methadone but I doubt it considering your reaction idk?

Ya holy shit but I think my girlfriend is safe on 90MG of Methadone Vs. Crystal Meth unless you Meth as in Methadone but I doubt it considering your reaction idk?
Yea methamphetamine

I used to take high doses of tramadol(Which is way more serotongenic than methadone)with my Dail paxil dose and never got Serotonin Syndrome so I believe with methadone you'd be fine.

Yea methamphetamine

I used to take high doses of tramadol(Which is way more serotongenic than methadone)with my Dail paxil dose and never got Serotonin Syndrome so I believe with methadone you'd be fine.

This LITERALLY MEANS NOTHING every single person is more or less SUSCEPTIBLE to Serotonin Syndrome no offense so that means someone can Die from the same Dose of the same Drugs with VASTLY different symptoms between DIFFERENT individuals. Regardless I appreciate the input but it does not make any sense to say "I used this Combo and never died from Serotonin Syndrome" similar to how people saying "I used this Dose of Benzos and Opioids PLUS Alcohol in WAY HIGHER Doses and Survived unlike those measly Doses your talking about taking" for lack of a better way to explain it in a understanding metaphor/Analogy not sure which one of those this would be considered, Thank You for the input though.

C
This LITERALLY MEANS NOTHING every single person is more or less SUSCEPTIBLE to Serotonin Syndrome no offense so that means someone can Die from the same Dose of the same Drugs with VASTLY different symptoms between DIFFERENT individuals. Regardless I appreciate the input but it does not make any sense to say "I used this Combo and never died from Serotonin Syndrome" similar to how people saying "I used this Dose of Benzos and Opioids PLUS Alcohol in WAY HIGHER Doses and Survived unlike those measly Doses your talking about taking" for lack of a better way to explain it in a understanding metaphor/Analogy not sure which one of those this would be considered, Thank You for the input though.
Well it sounds like you got it all figured out with rebuking people.

Also did you notice that I said I believe you'd be fine.I didn't say you'll be fine for sure so just do it.Dont come at me like that dude I ain't trying to put noones life at risk.

I came across this Thread https://www.bluelight.org/xf/threads/⫸dangerous-drug-combos⫷.795784/page-8#post-14605834

It says Methadone and Fentanyl and I read on the internet Oxycodone produces Serotonin but in this Link to a bluelight thread it says Methadone has potential for Serotonin Syndrome. I am very curious about this... I should mention I am a LONG-TIME lurker for years and only just made an Account and I am EXTREMELY regretting it. I created an Account for Threads like these and all I want is not to die and help others not make stupid mistakes... like what this might possibly be I would really appreciate any help from someone about this Subject Genuinely, please.

SHORT VERSION of the question... can people on Methadone Maintenance Therapy get Serotonin Syndrome if they use MDMA!? Please help as it is the Summer and I really want to roll with my girlfriend but she's on Methadone and I just got off of it and went back on my Fentanyl Patches and break through meds which does fuck all for my pain. After reading this it has me a bit scared to give her some now as I know how dangerous/possibly fatal with what very little we know about Serotonin Syndrome?

A case of serotonin syndrome associated with methadone overdose. - PubMed - NCBI
Well there are a few Threads I found on bluelight.org one of them talks about a High Dose DXM use with everyone saying Methadone and a Dextromethorphan Trip will cause Serotonin Syndrome so I had no idea about this. I'm glad I never decided to trip on Dextromethorphan when on Methadone if this is even true?

I can't see why moderators specifically would be Posting this stuff about Methadone if it can cause Serotonin Syndrome easily from DXM use wouldn't MDMA be worse? I'm sorry but I can't seem to find the Bluelight Thread discussing DXM and Methadone anywhere on Google I came across it when trying to figure out if this is true or not since I would imagine a lot more people would be dead and or talking about it?

Error - Cookies Turned Off
I would Cite more Sources but that is what I am here looking for? Or at least an Educated answer. Since just because you never experienced it or know whether you experienced very subtle Serotonin Syndrome we really have no idea how it works 100% and all of the symptoms etc.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated as I just got off Methadone and went back on my Fentanyl patches with break through meds at such a low dose it does fuck all for my pain. My girlfriend is on Methadone Maintenance Therapy still though and has no plans to wean down off it... that is all thank you for reading this.
By the way pretty much all synthetic opiates are Serotongenic

I was not "coming at you" I was simply typing out statements and questions. I'm literally afraid to make anymore posts now. I don't want to type anymore info but I got some things I was going to Cite that make me wonder if this is unsafe.

Your reply is stating it could be unsafe? I mean so many people must take MDMA on Opioids since you just made the statement they all are "Serotongenic" that being said. I'm not coming at you right now FYI but point is Methadone is probably the strongest of them all from what I read.

As a Serotonin Transporter as I believe Fentanyl and Oxycodone affect Serotonin differently than Methadone.

Again these are Statements and questions I'm not coming at you or anything like that...

If you read the last Post of someone on 40MG Methadone nevermind the 90MG I'm talking about here claimed they had Serotonin Syndrome and Madd Dogg highly advised against it. To say Posting that taking MDMA on Methadone is a bit reckless is only way I can say it without seeming like I'm "Coming at you" when I'm seeking LIFE OR DEATH Informatinon here that is all... anyone who understands how serious Serotonin Syndrome is knows it's no joke and it can and will kill you but it ALL depends like I said on your sensitivity to it.

It seems I got my answer though from the Thread that made Me aware Methadone is a Serotonin Transporter.

Last edited: