• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc can memantine reverse methylphenidate tolerance?

I don't know if you're going to get fabulous tolerance reduction off of a couple month break to be honest, but you could certainly try assuming you're going to be okay in the mean time. Like I said it depends on whether you're treating ADHD or going for a mood boost.

Do you mean , if I were to go for a mood boost its preferred that I would take a long break/cardio/noopept and then get on concerta , otherwise take piracetam and do cardio for adhd right?

I found the best results for adhd , when there was mood boost present imho (probably because I have some depression)
When I started taking concerta, there wasn't long term potentiation to begin with , and it already worked in one day up to 10 months, because of a lack of tolerance , which is essentially where I want to get again.

Maybe you should do it the old fashioned way, take a 3 month break with lots of cardio and see how you do with just concerta.

It sounds like NMDA agonism isn't going to help you if you focus better when you're feeling good.

So according to what I want in terms of the mood boost as well as tolerance reduction/removal , it is best advised that I just do cardio for 3 months and take concerta after those months have passed?

And I can't take noopept for nerve growth?

Last edited:
You could try noopept, you might like it by itself anyways. But yes a 3 month break from concerta.

There is a chance that there are other compensations to having high dopamine, such as elevation of the enzyme that breaks down dopamine. This is just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised. So there might be more to tolerance than just receptor down regulation, but 3 months will be pretty good for receptor down regulation reset.

Thank you very much I love you man (no homo) that's the answer I was looking for!!! On a sidenote, what kind of cardio would you recommend? Does doing a superset when weight/strength training count as one, because I am not trying to cut calories which I need to bulk up. And btw, is it okay if I take n-acetyl-tyrosine and fish oil to beat the 1-2 wk withdrawals I get when I come off? Plus acetyl-carnitine is an ingredient in my supplement which I will take throughout the 3 month period. So that's fine right?

Last edited:
<3 I really recommend continuous cardio rather than high intensity interval training or anything like that, anything above 30 minutes is great. I haz no idea what a superset as lol but just run lots and make sure you get protein in your diet somehow, all those supplements sound just fine too.

However, the effects of nicotine on transmitter release, increasing ACh, DA, norepinephrine (NE), 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT), glutamate, and GABA release in the brain, and calcitonin gene-related peptide and Substance P in the spinal cord, provides a means to amplify the effects of nicotine in what has been termed the “high-impedance locale” of the synapse (Ramirez-Latorre et al., 1998). The recent finding (French et al., 1999) that nAChR activation mediates neurotrophic (nerve growth factor, brain-derived neurotrophic factor, α-fibroblast growth factor) actions suggest that nAChR activation may provide long-term neuroprotective effects in addition to acute functional activities.

http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/292/2/461.short

Three nicotinic antagonists, DEC, MLA, and DHβE, were investigated for their effects on the α-CtxMII-resistant and -sensitive portions of [3H]dopamine release. Inhibition of dopamine release by each antagonist was evaluated using three L-nicotine concentrations (1, 3, and 10 μM) and the results are shown in Fig. 4. All of the antagonists totally blocked both α-CtxMII-sensitive and -resistant release at each nicotine concentration. The antagonists seem to be competitive inhibitors, as demonstrated by the finding that the IC50 values for all three antagonists increased with increasing agonist concentration. The IC50 values and Ki values, calculated assuming competitive inhibition, are presented in Table 2. Ki values for MLA and DHβE differed significantly for inhibition of α-CtxMII-sensitive and -resistant dopamine release stimulated by nicotine. The rank order of antagonist potency also differed when Ki values were compared (α-CtxMII-sensitive release, MLA < DHβE < DEC; α-CtxMII-resistant release, DHβE < MLA < DEC). In addition, the ratios of Ki values differed considerably; MLA is a 9-fold more potent inhibitor of α-CtxMII-sensitive release, and DHβE is a 7-fold more potent inhibitor of α-CtxMII-resistant release.

http://molpharm.aspetjournals.org/content/65/6/1526.full

Neurotransmitter release is controlled by salts.
Wakefulness is driven by the widespread release of neuromodulators by the ascending arousal system. Yet, it is unclear how these substances orchestrate state-dependent, global changes in neuronal activity. Here, we show that neuromodulators induce increases in the extracellular K+ concentration ([K+]e) in cortical slices electrically silenced by tetrodotoxin. In vivo, arousal was linked to AMPA receptor–independent elevations of [K+]e concomitant with decreases in [Ca2+]e, [Mg2+]e, [H+]e, and the extracellular volume. Opposite, natural sleep and anesthesia reduced [K+]e while increasing [Ca2+]e, [Mg2+]e, and [H+]e as well as the extracellular volume. Local cortical activity of sleeping mice could be readily converted to the stereotypical electroencephalography pattern of wakefulness by simply imposing a change in the extracellular ion composition. Thus, extracellular ions control the state-dependent patterns of neural activity.
http://neurosciencenews.com/sleep-wake-brain-salt-4142/

Remove mineral deficits is a fundamental way to lower tolerance.

Thanks Bobby , I will be taking Himalayan pink salts when I begin my protocol in the next two to three days and will be done by the end of four months.

Hello Bobby, sorry for the late response, my protocol is a 4 month break with no concerta, noopept (every 5 days on/off to normalize nmda/ampa receptors for only a MONTH, just to be on the safe side, and make sure I don't cause any other changes in my Neuro chemistry that could affect my tolerance, and also for brain cell/receptor growth from bdnf. Cardio, for also helping upregulate dopamine receptors/producing more dopamine as well as aiding in hgh/bdnf production. And finally, inositol , this came to my thinking only a week ago, now yesterday I emailed Cotcha Yankinov about it. For the inositol regimen, how often to take and how much to ingest, and do it in such a manner that it wouldn't deviate from my homestatic function on dopamine receptor upregulation. Which can cause overupregulation/hypersensitivity which will then via homeostasis return to the same low d2/d3 density that I have currently. Idk if I have to take inositol , because a 4 mth T break, Cardio, noopept and Himalayan salts could be enough for tolerance reset/dopamine receptors upregulation. I just wanted inositol to perhaps boost this process initially. So take for a month as well at whatever dose cotcha recommends then stop, as my body should catch up and start repairing my receptors from that point. Any other nootropics you know that can upregulate d2/d3 receptors in the specific region that concerta affects? Let me know, .. I am very determined for my tolerance to reset. Plus I hate the withdrawals anyway.

Btw , I will also take supplements in summer for muscular growth, just to let you know. Offer some input , and feel free to try this protocol as well bobby took 5+ months of researching to come to this possible hope , you and cotcha were a big part of it :)

What's up, Jasonx11?

In spite of what those studies say, lobeline doesn't stimulate dopamine release because it blocks the dopamine neuron from being able to release dopamine. It prevents the neuron from firing by blocking VMAT, and it prevents the reversal of the transporter by blocking the transporter itself. This means dopamine neurons do not release any dopamine through either the transporter or the vesicle firing.It also does this for norepinephrine and serotonin neurons.
When this wears off you have an upregulated dopamine transport and loading system. Each time your dopamine neuron fires it will release more dopamine.
Amphetamine kind of does the opposite, but with a non-opposite mechanism. Amp inhibits the VMAT, like lobelia, but reverses the transporter instead of blocking it, which makes dopamine flood the synapse out of the transporter instead of the vesicles. Amp. tolerance results in less dopamine functioning. Lobeline will reverse this by upregulating both the reuptake transporters and VMAT at the same time.
Antagonizing dopamine receptors isn't going to really fix the amphetamine tolerance because the effect of a dopamine agonist is different than the effect of amphetamine. A dopamine releasing agent feels different from a dopamine agonist. Dopamine administered into the blood feels different from a dopamine releasing agent too, because dopamine releasing agents only release them in certain areas that are meant to be released in. Dopamine agonists and dopamine itself suck because they turn on a lot of pain and discomfort sensing neurons. Serotonin administered as an agonist really sucks because it turns on all the fever and flu systems, and the 5-HTfour receptor controlling anxiety, and the 5-HT3 nausea receptor... But release serotonin via the transporter reversal and you're fine up to a certain point.
Meaning, by taking a dopamine antagonist the effect that you will be creating in your body once the upregulation occurs is that of a dopamine agonist. This is because you will be upregulating the dopamine receptors instead of reversing the mechanisms of amphetamine tolerance, which aren't dopamine receptor downregulation. You will not be recreating the same feeling you had before you took amphetamine, nor will you be setting yourself back at baseline. You'll be creating a different effect: that of dopamine agonism [upregulating the dopamine receptors by antagonizing them gives you the effect of that receptor long term]. Amphetamines work differently, not really causing receptor downregulation but instead working through the TAAR and VMAT systems. This is why lobelia is better at reversing amphetamine tolerance: it's geared towards dealing with the systems that amphetamine uses. When lobelia wears off you create a natural amphetamine effect in your body, the feeling of increased dopamine release upon neuron firing.
Lobeline also upregulates opiate receptors and acetylcholine receptors. It also blocks the acetylcholine receptor responsible for managing addiction: the one nicotine turns on.
Lobeline administered on its own produces mild dopamine release [I have speculations on why this happens in other people, but in me it doesn't release any dopamine and just feels really sucky because of its antagonist effect] but when administered with methamphetamine it blocks the release of dopamine induced by meth. This is because it blocks the dopamine transporter.
Cocaine is known to block the effects of meth because it blocks the dopamine transporter, not allowing the transporter to reverse itself and release dopamine into the synapse. Studies show this.
NMDA antagonists don't work long term. There is no long term pharmacological solution for anything other than daily taking a substance that induces the opposite effect you're trying to achieve. This is why cycling is recommended, to give you a break from the substance. You can't take it forever and expect it to work. However, a single dose of heroin taken at the same time as a strong NMDA antagonist results in no tolerance to the heroin at all: meaning no crash due to opiate receptor downregulation. NMDA receptors are what the body uses to track the activity of a synapse, to which it responds by changing the level of receptors on the surface of the cell. By blocking the NMDA receptors you can prevent the body from telling itself to downregulate the opiate receptors when heroin activates them. After a long time of taking NMDA antagonists the NMDA receptors will upregulate to a point where they start to signal again, meaning you can't cheat the downregulating system forever.
Magnesium has some tolerance with it, but I would venture to say because it is a natural component of the body that it doesn't cause the same level of upregulation that an external compound would.

http://herbs.mxf.yuku.com/reply/36662503/Receptor-Effects#reply-36662503

Putting 110% dedication on the treadmill walking speed of 2.3 mph (10 min) then running at 4.0 mph for another 10 min. With the inclusion of noopept every 5 days to sensitize my brain to the upregulated d2/d3 receptors from running on the treadmill. Both of these is helping me reach baseline level of homeostasis at lightening speed. I don't feel any withdrawal for quite a while doing this. But to successfully complete my program, I'll continue this until October 15, hopefully I get the results I am looking for. But yes, unlike last year , I didn't get a withdrawal for the first time. And feeling much better doing this protocol until I get back on mph. Also I cut down on caffeine (0x or 1- 2x per week which is very low) So yeah , what about you bruh?

Its been shown that exercise reduces withdrawal, I can't recall much else about the study though..

I just got done with my summer job and I'm about to start a physical therapy/conditioning/stretching regimen. You doing much in the way of weight lifting/planks/squats etc?

I hope you're doing peachy

yes sir, and I am doing peachy af anyways. Yes, I did weightlift for a bit.. I was however fat in the stomach area. It looked like a beer gut, since I wanted to bulk up, I had to eat more. With that I packed on some size, but also fat as well. I am probably 175 pounds right now and need to lose fat as soon as possible. You know any hardcore supplement that helps with fat loss but isn't a stim? something even more powerful than ostashred (sarm) but not lethal like dnp lol. Otherwise I can do a military diet/ diet in which I can only consume 500 cals of fruits and protein, but this is only reserved as a last resort. As I don't want to starve myself. But yeah, if you know any supplement that I can lose 20+ lbs within 2 weeks let me know.

20 lbs in two weeks sounds very unhealthy. Muscle breakdown would be sure to happen I think. Long cardio sessions/HIIT with a low carb/low fat/high protein diet, and the carbs should come from the least sugary source as possible is what I would do, some things won't change for quite a while I think.. But I'm sure there's a lot of cutting advice to go around over in the PED forum, and slim chance there is some miracle pill.