• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Can Lyrica explain my seizures?

Available

Greenlighter
Hi,

So... in short, i had 3 seizures a few nights ago.

1.5 hours before, i'd taken 300mg lyrica.

At one point before i tried 600mg and it did nothing to me.

I only wanted it to aid my sleep that night, and the 300mg dose seems to have knocked me into seizures (first at 9 or so, second at midnight, and last at 6am the next day)

Inbetween the seizures, i was aware of sudden jolting, yet still have very little memory of it all.

I have no history of seizures, or anything of the sort, so can only assume it was all the lyrica that kicked it off.

After the first seizure, i didnt know i'd had one, and just went to hospital thinking id been concussed & didnt know how id injured myself, yet then i had another, and my family found me on my floor not breathing & blue. The ambulance was called, and i had my last seizure happened at 6am.

I recovering from the injuries sustained now, but just wanted to ask you guys whether it would have been the lyrica that induced the seizures (?)

Obviously i was the fool for taking it when i didn't have a prescribed need for it, and im going to be looking after myself far more in the future and only take things that are prescribed to ME.

but just wanted to ask on the forums whether it is definately the lyrica that caused the seizures, and whether i should worry about getting seizures in the future (i.e. made myself prone to seizures) now because of this?

Thanks!

Look after yourselves!

To play devils advocate here, IIRC barbiturates can cause seizures in OD, and they definately use stuff like phenobarb as a seizure med, although granted, not too often these days.

Methaqualone also, will do in an OD quite likely.

To play devils advocate here, IIRC barbiturates can cause seizures in OD, and they definately use stuff like phenobarb as a seizure med, although granted, not too often these days.

Methaqualone also, will do in an OD quite likely.

So, are you saying the ones i took could have been spiked?

The website i got them off had been very aggressive with me at times, and i was apprehensive about trying them at the time! I had tried 600mg a few weeks before and felt very little.

However, this night i just wanted some help sleeping, so had a small 300mg dose..... and..... can hardly remember anything else.

One thing to note is that inbetween seiures i'd think i was ok again, but id keep having sudden jolts. every 15 seconds or so, my rms would keep just jolting straight, and if i was holding my phone at the time.... it'd go flying across the room! was very perculiar.

:S plan on just going to mmy doctor and getting something to help my insomnia prescribed. This has been a real eye opener for me.

Have no past of seizures or any kind of epilepsy, nobody in the family has for generations (nobody at all as far as i know)

I don't know if that's true about barbs, but methaqualone has other non-GABAergic activity which is causing it. Pregabalin isn't even a GABAergic, and doesn't have any of Methaqualones AMPA effects.

No, they weren't spiked, But why the hell were you taking so much???

300mg of pregabalin is a LOT. 50mg-100mg is better.

^^

300mg was a lot, but before id taken 600mg to little effect!

I've read reports on erowid about people taking it in 800mg doses!

Nah I wasn't saying they were spiked, don't worry :)

I'm aware of the differences, although I am not well up to date with pregabalins pharmacology, I was merely pointing out that assuming something couldn't cause seizures although an anticonvulsant, it does seem obvious, but there are exceptions to every rule.

aaah :) ok, cheers.

So does it seem to be general opinion then that my seizures were induced by the Lyrica? And hence i needn't seek any medical analysis, etc. further into this to see whether i could go getting them again (obviously just wont be having lyrica ever again!)

Just want to know if it is possible for Lyrica to cause seizures, in some amazingly ironic fuck up :D

NO, it is not the case. You've gotten two opinions, and I don't see Limpet suggesting that. It is highly unlikely, but I suppose possible.

YES

Lyric gives me a bad case of randomly collapsing, legs giving out and seizures in doses over 300mg (ive been 150mg-900mg, 300mg is my max before it becomes a horrible trip from hell)

I know this post is crazy old but for anyone that is going through this right now and needs some reassurance. If it is not prescribed to you for any reason, i.e., if you do not have seizures it causes your brain to over compensate in high doses and it can cause deadly seizures... And considering I just went through the same thing just today I assure you that it can cause involuntary muscle spasms, jolts in the limbs, memory lapses, and seizures. Avoid taking medicine that does not belong to you... I took 450mgs of it last night and woke up this mornin to seizure and convulse.

I know this post is crazy old but for anyone that is going through this right now and needs some reassurance. If it is not prescribed to you for any reason, i.e., if you do not have seizures it causes your brain to over compensate in high doses and it can cause deadly seizures... And considering I just went through the same thing just today I assure you that it can cause involuntary muscle spasms, jolts in the limbs, memory lapses, and seizures. Avoid taking medicine that does not belong to you... I took 450mgs of it last night and woke up this mornin to seizure and convulse.

Thank you for sharing, it is good for people to hear your experience. The brain in a funny thing, very little we know about it. Using such High doses are scary too (stated above). Most anti-convulsants carry a black box warning in the US Regarding suicidal thoughts ect., so to take it intermittently to sleep at high dose is just not a good idea for your brain chemistry.

Be safe!