• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Can LSA trigger schizophrenia like LSD can?

Yes, and I find it more mind shattering than LSD

So I'd say that if your predisposed to schizophrenia, it's likely to bring it out

Lsa has an almost dreamlike delerium, or at least most seed preps I have tried always give me this effect mixd in with an LSD like minset. I would say there's more of a chance of getting confused and anxious with lsa. Several of my experiences with seeds had apocolyptic themes and lots of time vomiting, altho these days I keep it to a few hbwr seeds chewed and held under the tongue for a while to achieve less intensity and a more usable experience for most things. But if you have psych issues, you should def read all you can first and if you decide to move forward, start slow and with a low dose.

Any type of drug can trigger psychiatric problems, most often diagnosed as a 'temporary substance induced mood disorder', but also can trigger more permanent underlying disorders. Stimulants are notorious for that. Lysergic acids cause a 'natural', less forced type of stimulation which still causes sleeplessness and forces the mind to think about issues which can be traumatic. This is why responsible psychedelic users always consider psychological set and physical setting and ease themselves into an experience by taking gradual doses over the course of the experience.

Last edited:
It seems to have less reports of HPPD, so (assuming this isn't just due to difference in number of users) perhaps it's less likely to trigger schizophrenia. Most likely, yes, it can trigger schizophrenia.

Schizophrenia can be triggered by any stressful situation-- in fact: peace-time military training was shown to precipitate schizophrenia in 1968. For more information see "A Stressful Situation as a Precipitant of Schizophrenic Symptoms," British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 111, pp. 1097-1106

If you suspect any underlying mental conditions, many people (myself included, but I odn't really go down as an expert) STRONGLY discourage any psychedelic drug use. I sort of view LSA as a huge total mindfuck (in large doses) as opposed to LSD being a lot more visual. I find that on LSA I am MORE subject to any mental problems, and although I don't have schizophrenia, LSA can take a little problem and make it into the worst depression you've felt in years. So on that note, I think LSA is very capable of triggering latent schizophrenia.

I would say yes. LSA is no less powerful than LSD in high enough doses. So, yes it could trigger a mental illness, no doubt about it. It might be somewhat less likely than LSD because LSD is much longer lasting and can more easily cause effects which go beyond the immediate trip due to sleep loss, etc. However, LSA could cause a psychotic episode just like any other psychadelic could. Mushrooms, LSA, and LSD all could trigger insanity

i have tripped with a friend on lsd many times no problem. when we took lsa together he went totally psycho, temporarily. so for some one that suspects underlying issues i would advice against taking lsa.

I know LSD can bring it out if you have it in you.

No it can't - at least no more than any stressful situation can bring it out. The schizophrenia rates have remained constant, or even fallen slightly, for the last 100 years. So that means 50 years of widespread psychedelic use has had no effect whatsoever on schizophrenia rates.

Schizophrenia is a genetic illness that usually happens at the same age lots of people first take drugs - their late teens and early 20s - that's the only reason there's this bullshit connection to drugs.

Ismene, I think that's just because if you compare 2 people who are predisposed genetically to schizophrenia and one of them trips and triggers it and the other person never trips, that doesn't mean there aren't still plenty of stressful situations in a human life that can be the trigger instead. The point being that it may be difficult to avoid your "fate" when it comes to some illnesses.

Still, that doesn't mean it is futile to warn people with mental stability about psychedelics and other drugs. Various kinds of mental instabilities can get exacerbated including neuroses and phobia IMO, even if psychedelics can also be beneficial for certain issues if used appropriately.

Psycs don't trigger diseases. They bring latent material to the front by intensifying "you", by being mindviewing.

Any person nondiagnosed as sczhiphrenic for example, will show symtpoms before the drug use.

Psycs don't trigger diseases. They bring latent material to the front by intensifying "you", by being mindviewing.

Any person nondiagnosed as sczhiphrenic for example, will show symtpoms before the drug use.

Bringing "latent material to the front"...IS "triggering"...

Psychs don't cause the schizophrenia, but they can exacerbate it or speed up the onset...IMHO.

My ex-wife did about 10 HBWR seeds over a year ago and she hasn't been quite "right" since.

Maybe not textbook schizophrenia, but definitely "off".

Last edited:
Any type of drug can trigger psychiatric problems, most often diagnosed as a 'temporary substance induced mood disorder', but also can trigger more permanent underlying disorders. Stimulants are notorious for that. Lysergic acids cause a 'natural', less forced type of stimulation which still causes sleeplessness and forces the mind to think about issues which can be traumatic. This is why responsible psychedelic users always consider psychological set and physical setting and ease themselves into an experience by taking gradual doses over the course of the experience.
But not every kind of drug triggers the same psychiatric disorders or at the same rate. Tranquilizers and sedatives do not trigger schizophreniform disorders as readily as hallucinogens and other stimulants do.

Researchers found out that schizophrenics who used hallucinogens were diagnosed younger than the general population of schizophrenics. This could have been because of early onset, or it could be that they were hospitalised for another related reason and consequently diagnosed earlier.

LSD psychotics had similar family histories as schizophrenics except that their parents were more likely alcoholics. They did remain clinically separable from schizophrenics. (1)

People now hypothesize that the LSD psychotics are schizophrenics, despite the fact that hundreds of patients were hospitalized, more than 1/3 for more than a cursory period, in a single hospital in a single year, as a result of taking LSD. (2) This cannot be explained as schizophrenia.

Researchers gave LSD to schizophrenics, who said it was not schizophrenia.

They gave it to monks who also said it was not enlightenment.

They gave it to criminals, who were not reformed by it.

Rather than being government propaganda amid hogwash, this is documented history and self reported experiences, psychiatric evaluations, and observations of family members, which gives rise to a generally accepted view.

Without a study on LSA this is merely guess-work based on how the drug feels. I would guess LSA is like LSD, a known cause of psychosis and not a trigger of schizophrenia.

A hypothesis can be made that because LSD feels better than LSA it is safer, but one could also hypothesize that feeling drugged is less likely to cause schizophreniform disorders. Just like being unaware you have been given a drug: hallucinogen, alcohol, marijuana, can cause a far more negative reactions than voluntarily taking the drug.

1) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1806863/?page=9
2) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6870484
(other studies not referenced)

Last edited:
My Stanford Med School Psych. that specialized in drug induced/triggered mental problems said that if you make it past 25 years old, the chances of you getting getting schizophrenia are almost minimal.

That does not mean that a stressful situation (drugs) will not trigger some sort of mental unbalance.

Any drug, or activity that affects dopamine & serotonin (most of them) can trigger mental illness, in some people more than others, but I think it's a risk that everybody takes if they take any drugs. I think stimulants, alcohol & dissociatives are likely worse than most psychedelics, probably mainly because psychedelics are more self limiting, it can take a while to recharge your serotonin after a binge so they're harder to abuse too much. They all lose the magic pretty dramatically if you take them too often.

If a low dose of psychedelics is enough to trigger schizophrenia for you (for longer than the normal duration of the drug), then it was probably going to happen off something else at some point. High doses & continued frequent use are a different story.

They can all induce a psychotic episode, even in people who seemed relatively healthy before, but this usually wears off when the drug loses effect.

LSA seems easier on the mind than LSD, but it can be tougher on the body, especially if you're consuming whole seeds. It's dose-dependent too, set & setting, etc. Make sure you're feeling generally well & healthy before you take any drugs, don't do them after a lack of food or sleep, etc. I'd be more worried about the vasoconstriction, effects on the heart & circulation from LSA seeds, or any contaminants in an extract. I'm not sure if it's from the LSA or from other chemicals in the seeds, but they can't be good for your body, morning glory seem less bad than hawaiian baby woodrose, so I'd guess there's some extra toxins in HBWR. If I'm eating whole seeds or doing a rough extract (cold water extract works, looks & tastes like murky pond water, but less nausea over eating whole seeds), then I find morning glory aren't as bad as HBWR, obviously I need more, but they're closer to being pleasant.

Don't eat the seed shells either, crush them & take the shell off, dissolve in cold water (maybe with lemon/lime, mint), stir, leave it in the fridge for a few hours, filter & drink, maybe add some sugar too, it'll taste nasty. Then I can do a small trip without much nausea.

LSA does seem pretty mild mentally, it's not nearly as intense as LSD, but the body load just isn't worth it for me. It's pretty nice if I can find a low dose with a balance between threshold effects & my legs going totally numb, but overall not worth it. I'd like to try a clean extract if I ever get the opportunity, but I lack the skills & equipment to make it.

I'd put the chance of schizophrenia off LSA as minimal, but only because there are other problems you'll get first that will stop you taking too much. I think the physical problems make it more likely you'll have a bad time too.

Last edited: