• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Can long term benzo use makes anxiety worse?

Excellent and helpful replies, thank you all.
My Dr also told me that cigarette smoking does not help anxiety, anyone heard of this as I smoke about 20 a day.

Is Hydroxezine a prescription only anti-histamine?
Yea hydroxyzine is prescription only but it has sedative and anxiolytic effects similar to benzos so it can help ease withdrawal symptoms. It wouldn't hurt to bring it up at your next appointment and see if you can get a prescription for the sake of getting off benzos. Your Dr would probably agree since it is a relatively mild and harmless drug with almost no potential for abuse. That's what I did and it helped me a good bit.

As for the cigs… Nicotene can definitely make anxiety worse (it also stimulates the release of adrenaline in your brain). 20 a day?! Imagine your lung condition in 20 years man… Are you thinking about quitting those at all? If you are I wouldn't suggest doing it at the same time as your benzo withdrawal. That's like hellx2.

Now i currently take 70to120mg a day! so 14x5mg in a strip a strips a dose! and thats just valium been up all night tonight and took 20mg etizolam also! plus i get others shit i need to cut this down BIG TIME!

And yes sorry to go of topic they make things worse! depends on how much you use how dependant you are if you are etc many factors! but in short id say yes! they do!

To people not already hoocked on benzos for anxiety try CBT!

It certainly CAN be it doesn't necessarily make it worse for everyone.

Some people on here will tell you it's a straight up FACT that benzos will make your anxiety worse in the long run but that's not necessarily true.

In my case they haven't made it worse, but if I'm not on Klonopin I am aware that I might get anxiety so I might be a little more likely to pop some so psychologically speaking I am somewhat dependent, but that's not the same thing as saying that if I don't take Klonopin now that my anxiety is worse than when I wasn't on Klonopin in the past.

That's NOT taking withdrawal into account because OF COURSE if you are in withdrawal you will be having anxiety but many people INSIST that eventually even if you are NOT in benzo withdrawal and ASIDE from psychological dependence, that if you are off a benzo you usually take your anxiety will just straight up be worse than it ever was before.

I haven't personally found that to be the case.

the other night I skipped my dose and felt fine; woke up w/ a little sweat but that is normal for me. then I skipped ANOTHER dose 2 days after and felt fine. I do NOT think I am physically addicted but mentally, you betcha ass I am! I use it to sleep and the other night rather than take my usual .5 dose, I thought to myself, "well, since I skipped 2 doses, why not take 2MG total to sleep" and I fucking sleep 12hrs. I only needed 8hrs and would have loved to woken up early but sure didnt that day, ha.

but yes, I was able to get off at ease. well, not OFF but am able to skip a day or two when I can. I am scripted the meds, so I am NOT in a rush to get off because I surly need them but at the same time I DO NOT want to pick up a serious addiction w/ those types of drugs; I already have problems w/ other things - Suboxone/heroin, chemotherapy, etc.

The psychological addiction to benzos is ridiculously strong! Only you know your quality of life without a drug. If I could keep my Etizolam intake low and stop recreational binges, I know it helps me to get out of the house and at least have a life! I am truly tortured without any kind of benzo. That's why quitting completely may not be in my cards. I just need to stick to therapeutic doses and stop trying to "forget myself" or erase my existence through substance abuse.

opiates are my serious problem but drugs in general are my problem. I never got that "feeling" from benzos aside a sleepy/foggy feeling, which is why I use them to sleep. but the past week I have stopped taking them just to makes sure there were no WD's. anyway, all went well and no WD's. so after 2 days I went back and took the .5 but it didnt help me sleep. next night I took 1MG and again, didnt help me sleep like it was before.

others have mentioned but does it usually fade after a few months as far as using for a sleep type med? I think I used them too much for sleep which is why it somewhat killed its purpose for its use.. well, MY USE.. ya know!? I put in another order for Seroquel so I can go back and forth weekly or every few days so one does not kill the other because that is why I made the switch; seems anytime I use one more often they lose their "touch" and its happening w/ the benzos right now and that has NOT HAPPENED w/ a benzo in a long ass time.

Yes, it makes sense the benzo isn't working as well since you've been on that dose for months.

Tolerance seems to build fast with benzos and that's why I always felt the need to push up the dose.

I would not recommend a benzo for sleeping, only for panic attacks/anxiety. My doctor prescribes me Trazodone for sleep. I cut a 100 mg pill in half and take 50 mg, works great. I used to be on seroquel for sleep, but I like Trazodone much better

Klonopin is boring and makes me sleepy. That's why it's good for its purpose, killing a panic attack/anxiety. I only get a fun, recreational "feeling" from Etizolam.

Klon and Valium does not help me anymore, shame as they worked wonders to start with.