• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can Kratom cause depersonalization?

amphetameme

Greenlighter
I've been taking Kratom for a week or so because I'm trying to cut back my use of stronger opioids, mostly dilaudid and morphine. I've been taking about 3g at a time for the past week. Today I had particularly bad cravings and I decided to take more than I did the past few days since I seemed to handle it fine, I took 6 grams which I had mixed into my ice tea to drink during class. After about an hour I started to get really strong feelings of unreality, brain fog and a feeling that my mind was empty and I wasn't real. I was unable to follow along with the lecture because my brain couldn't keep up with it. I've experienced this before, from tramadol and from benzo withdrawal, but I haven't had these feelings for months. I wasn't passing out or feeling excessively sedated either. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is there an explanation for this effect (like, something about the pharmacology of the drug that could cause dissociative symptoms) or am I wrong in associating this episode with the Kratom? The feelings still haven't worn off, although I've calmed down a bit.

kratom is rather serotonergic, similar to tramadol. The 1st hour to two post ingestion can be rather stimulating and unpleasant, especially with higher doses.
The fact that you equate it to tramadol makes me think you were experiencing that feeling. It used to freak me out, then I got used to it and now I like it.

could be something else though...you take anything else?

3g is a pretty weak dose. I'm only doing weak opiates myself, codeine/tramadol etc but I do 400mg tramadol and 300mg codeine.

anyway when I first tried Kratom I done a 3g dose to just test it and see how I react. Second time I done like 6-8g and stuck at that dosage. I feel it to be VERY similar to a tramadol high actually. I don't get any negative effects from it other than sometimes I get a really bad dull pain in my stomach area but it passes after 15 minutes.

If it wasn't for it being so expensive I'd use it all the time but 250g is the price of around 60x60mg codeine tablets so I'd rather get the codeine. Not to mention it's the worst thing I've tasted and isn't that easy taking it. I have to take 10 spoonfuls of the shit and it's fucking annoying getting it down and it all gets stuck in your teeth and mouth when you wash it around with liquid.

Last edited:
anything that alters you serotonin has the potential to bring on an episode in someone who is pre-disposed to mental illness, but i don't think that happens even rarely and i doubt it would cause depersonalization in someone who isn't, as i rambled about earlier, already naturally pre-disposed to suddenly ending up getting stuck in a real life video game
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I took 6g today. I didn't completely cut out the other opiates, just lowered my dose, so I didn't need a whole lot. It was definitely very uncomfortable at 6mg.

I wasn't aware that Kratom was serotonergic at all. It definitely felt a fair bit like tramadol, but I thought the dysphoric effects and sometimes dissociative type feelings from tramadol were from something else, not the fact that it's an SNRI. Anyhow yeah, I take an SNRI now and it doesn't seem to affect me that way on its own, but I probably should have looked into the effects of Kratom before assuming it would be fine with my medication. I'm on wellbutrin too. I guess that makes sense.

I've taken kratom 10-15 grams twice daily for years now while taking bupropion 150mg sr once daily. Lower dose of wellbutrin, but they've been fine together for me.

though, even though I don't like tramadol, it seems to work fine when I take wellbutrin also.