View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Can Ketamine help with mood?

Candyeyed

Greenlighter
I have struggled with bulimia for over 12 years and currently have problems with anxiety/panic attacks and depression. It makes my days very difficult and lonely. Doctors have put me on various antidepressants in the past but they always had really bad side effects and/or made me prone to self harm (which I'm normally not) so every time I would end up having to stop taking them (I'm not willing to take any more antidepressants, they clearly have a bad effect on me). However, I found that when I was using Ketamine, it seemed to alleviate some of the hell of being bulimic and depressed (the maniacal, anxiety filled mess that is my mind), and not just while I was was physically high on it. Just using it once or twice a day (a small amount) seemed to make my day a lot brighter, even though the direct effects are short-lived. The person I got it from moved and I haven't gotten any in months (I don't really know anyone where I live), and I've been really down for the past few months.

I've heard that in the US they have been testing Ketamine's potential to treat depression but I don't know if this is true (it's the internet, so who knows). I'm just wondering if anyone else ever had this experience? Or if Ketamine helped them with anything else? I did use it recreationally, but scarcely and in small amounts to boost my mood (I never used it to party or took a large dose), so I don't think I was dependant on it or using it recklessly.

I guess I'm just curious as I've never talked to people about it before. I did alone and kept it a secret as I thought people might think badly of me for doing it.

Yeah, very definitely helped me with depression for at least a couple of days at a time. Unfortunately the intoxication can vary quite a bit, too much and you get very nauseous, taken in the evening you are faced with a sleepless night. Sometimes amazing insights into your relationships or past psychological history, sometimes just a drunk-like stupor. You also don't want to drive for many hours after using. I started IMing to try and get the maximum antidepressant effects (after all I couldn't afford to take it everyday, and I also used methoxetamine because it was cheaper) and I started using and getting high at inappropriate occasions which eventually got me into quite a bit of trouble. I think its great for overcoming emergencies like strong suicidal thoughts, but its not going to be too helpful in the long term. There's not enough known about proper dosage and frequency of dosing or the ideal method of ingestion. I guess maybe if you have the time and money to experiment on yourself you could find out, but personally I don't. It really screwed up my relationship with certain family members. Non-depressed people just don't understand the desperate lengths we are driven to, so I think you were right to keep it secret. Yes ketamine is being researched in the US, including a ketamine nasal spray. Some people can't stand the side effects and it doesn't do much for others. -Pretty much the same results asYeah, very definitely helped me with depression for at least a couple of days at a time. Unfortunately the intoxication can vary quite a bit, too much and you get very nauseous, taken in the evening you are faced with a sleepless night. Sometimes amazing insights into your relationships or past psychological history, sometimes just a drunk-like stupor. You also don't want to drive for many hours after using. I started IMing to try and get the maximum antidepressant effects (after all I couldn't afford to take it everyday, and I also used methoxetamine because it was cheaper) and I started using and getting high at inappropriate occasions which eventually got me into quite a bit of trouble. I think its great for overcoming emergencies like strong suicidal thoughts, but its not going to be too helpful in the long term, and it can be addictive. I experienced memory problems too. There's not enough known about proper dosage and frequency of dosing or the ideal method of ingestion. I guess maybe if you have the time and money to experiment on yourself you could find out, but personally I don't.
It really screwed up my relationship with certain family members. Non-depressed people just don't understand the desperate lengths we are driven to, so I think you were right to keep it secret. Yes ketamine is being researched in the US, including a ketamine nasal spray. Some people can't stand the side effects and it doesn't do much for others. -Pretty much the same results as other antidepressants. I think it would be really great for psychological crisis but drug policy in the US is so screwed up, who knows?

Thank you for the reply. I don't feel so crazy now knowing at least someone has felt the same. At the time I was desperate but figured it would just be another thing like alcohol where it's just temporary and you feel even worse the next day (hangover/regret) but I was surprised to find it helped. but I also only used it for about a month. If I had continued using, maybe I would have seen the negative consequences or got dependant...but I didn't really feel cravings or a need for it (I was working and functioning the best I had been in a while). Even when I had it, I could leave it there for another time or just have a little bit (whereas when I drink I find it hard to stop....so I don't drink often). I think I'm just yammering on...but I guess I do sort of miss it. :(

I would not use it for helping with your mood, only recreation.
Ketamine had helped with my mood in the past but has become a pretty bad habit that I'm now trying to shake.
Ketamine can now make me horribly depressed and is devoid of many of the aspects of it I used to enjoy; it often takes away your motivation to do, well, just about anything.
This of course is a horrible problem when you fall in to a depressed state and have no willpower to fight it.

I think it's hard for me to do anything for just recreations sake because I have the issues I do. I think theres always a bit of a desire to get away when ive used anything. I have an issue with binge drinking (after 4 drinks, I can't stop myself) so I try to control the situations I drink in so that I don't have the opportunity to get drunk (ie I buy just a few beers, or go out to the bar where it's stupid expensive). When i used K i never had much of it at a time and only used it for a month (guy I got it from moved so I couldn't get anymore). maybe that's a good thing then, might have saved me from becoming a heavy user or getting addicted. I would like to use it again if I could find it but would want to be careful with how I'm using it. I would like to use it recreationally and be able to take it or leave it, not need it.

Definitely be careful, I became hooked on k as a means for a temporary escape as well and the way k numbs you emotionally can be quite addicting

If you can't modulate your mood without ketamine, then you are dependent upon it in a certain way. Add to that the compulsive issues you mention when it comes to alcohol, and it sounds to me like a recipe for being very wary about getting involved with ketamine or any other dissociative. The fact that you used it for a month without problem doesn't determine much--it may take longer than a month of regular use to really get into the psychological addiction patterns.

Researchers have indeed looked into ketamine's potential for treating depression, but my understanding is that this is not a long-term, daily-dosing thing but rather a method for acute, extreme, suicidal cases where there is nowhere left to turn.

Strong psychoactive drugs, such as ketamine or other hallucinogens, are not best used in the method you've described (that is, taking a bump when you feel like you need a mood boost). Such patterns will only "put things off," so to speak, and are most likely to develop into an addictive pattern. The things you're putting off will come back around. Ketamine's potential as a self-development tool should be limited to no more than 3x per year, as a way of getting outside of your ego-perspective and "reminding yourself" of the principles of an expanded consciousness. You must bring the drug-states back into your sober life, and not depend on the little powder to stabilize you. It will not do that. Ketamine in no way stabilizes your psychology. That it seems to at first is only a residue of the euphoric properties it can have for people. But its true healing potential is completely negated with daily, semi-daily, or weekly use.

I don't believe that there is any drug out there, nor one forthcoming, that works by simply being taken everyday. The pharmaceutical anti-depressants that you don't like, ketamine will become that for you if you take it regularly. Please venture with caution into modifying your consciousness, it is not something to be taken lightly.

From my personally found ketamine helped allot with my depression and anxiety; I'd use it regularly one and off. It can be very addictive which is the last thing you need when dealing with depression. It also leaves you in a fog for a while when you overuse it which has gotten in the way of me taking care of my priorities at times. It's effects weren't always positive. Taking it regularly is not the way it is used in medicine and is counter productive to helping depression. When given in a medical setting it's not used every day thing and is given in small doses. If you are going to use it as an anti-depressant it'd probably be best to do it in a controlled medical setting. Sadly it is very hard to find a doctor who will do it.

OP, look into MXE...legal and available..in USA...don't know about ON.
I strongly discourage doing this. From my own personal experience I found mxe to have allot more negative effects on depression than ketamine. MXE is also pretty new and we don't have near the same amount of research done on it as ketamine.

Thanks for the info everyone :) I was curious about it since I only used it for a short time but it looks like maybe I'm better off that way based on how and why I used it. However i would like to use it recreationally again some day (because I did like how it made me feel) but when I'm in a position where I could take it or leave it. I've got a lot going on so getting hooked would really send my life down the shitter.