• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can I use Pregabalin instead of Diazepam

Cameraman

Greenlighter
Hi, I am new to this forum and joined it as I am looking for help.

For about 20 years I have been prescribed Diazepam to help me cope with potentially stressful situations. I have also previously had consultations with psychiatrists, hypnotherapists and undertaken a 3 month course in CPD. Although the talking and exercises helped to a degree, I still suffer from anxiety and rely on Diazepam.
Whilst I worked, I was prescribed 56 x 5mg Diazepam tablets every 3 months. After retiring, I was able to reduce the amount I need to 28 tablets every 3 to 6 months. So effectively, I take just over one tablet per week, normally when I visit the dentist, visit the hospital for tests, make presentations, play competitive golf or meet old business clients for dinner. It is to overcome the anticipation of something I cannot rationalise, which normally manifests itself in a nervous cough and a feeling of sickness. Once, I have that under control I am fine for the rest of the day.

My doctor retired and I had to visit the Locum who wanted to know why I had requested Diazepam. I explained my situation and told him this was a regular request and he put a note in the system to ensure future prescriptions would be issued as they had for the past 20 years. Unfortunately, he stopped working at the practice due to the pandemic and physical consultations more or less stopped.

When I submitted my request a few months later the only remaining doctor only issued a prescription for 14 tablets. I put a note in and the response was that Diazepam was now restricted due to government policy but I could be given Pregabalin instead. I had always worried that one day I might have a problem in supply so I have kept back around 20 Diazepam I can still fall back on.

So now I have been prescribed 60 x 50mg Pregabalin and the packet says 'take 2 per day'. My doctor said in a note that the Pregabalin worked in the same way as Diazepam which means I should only need to take one tablet when necessary. I tried the first one three hours ago and did not notice any effect at all. Even half a 5mg diazepam tablet would have a noticeable calming effect on me. Perhaps the Pregabalin needs to build up in my system, but I do not want to take 60 Pregabalin tablets a month to replace 4-5 Diazepam tablets. Surely the latter is safer?

What I am looking for is advice on whether the Pregabalin is a good replacement or not? Do I need to take 2 tablets per day? Should I ask for a stronger dose tablet of Pregabalin to take just when needed, to give me the calmness I need from time to time?

I have thought of moving to another surgery, but I would not know the thinking of the new doctor. My thought is that some doctors are 'jobsworth's' and not really interested, or know much, about mental health issues, despite the UK government saying it is going to focus more on this problem. If it is simply to remove drugs like Diazepam from people who need it, then that is very poor. Maybe, I could try and get a consultation with a private doctor?

I do not know which way to turn and would appreciate some advice from people on this forum who could direct me in a positive way with regard to Pregabalin (which I had never heard of). I feel I am made to feel guilty by asking for Diazepam

Many thanks for any positive advice!

Pregabalin does definitely not work the same as diazepam. However it has the ability to. You will propably need 3-4 tablets, try them once at your house on your free time to see how they affect you.

Diazepam would work better, but try the pregabalin.

It has some modest anxiolytic properties imo at first, but tolerance is gained much faster than benzos and as an anxiolytic it will be useless. Besides, the damn thing takes a long time to take effect.

I suggest take three and have a chill day about the house listen to some music and try doing a bit of work to see if it gives you focus and drive enough to make them worth your while
Iv uses them at work in the past for the exact same kind of thing
But be advised stick to very occasional use with pregabalin as it’s well noted amongst recreational users how fast tolerance develops
If you smoke sometimes nicotine helps kick them into action imo
And to relax they synergies really well with cannabis
These are just my observations so start easy with three and don’t be tempted to take more as they can take up to two hours to start working
Peace out Nightraver

I suggest take three and have a chill day about the house listen to some music and try doing a bit of work to see if it gives you focus and drive enough to make them worth your while
Iv uses them at work in the past for the exact same kind of thing
But be advised stick to very occasional use with pregabalin as it’s well noted amongst recreational users how fast tolerance develops
If you smoke sometimes nicotine helps kick them into action imo
And to relax they synergies really well with cannabis
These are just my observations so start easy with three and don’t be tempted to take more as they can take up to two hours to start working
Peace out Nightraver
Many thanks to all for the feedback and advice so far from all. I appreciate it. I have written a note to my doctor to establish whether I should follow the instructions to take two tablets a day as quoted on the prescription. I think doctors have been told to restrict Diazepam except in certain cases and the doctor is using that as a cop out.
15 years ago, long before I retired, I was treated for a condition at a leading private hospital in London. My job entailed me travelling to most parts of the world and as I needed to hit the ground running when I arrived in places like Japan, India or the USA for example, I needed something to help me sleep. The Professor who treated me issued me with an annual private prescription for 100 Zimovane and I had this each year for ten years. He did not see this as a big deal. As I no longer work I only finished the 2015 batch a couple of years ago. It might be that if I contacted him now he might remember me and issue me with a prescription for Diazepam? I am sure some doctors recognise that the the benefits of some medication outweighs the potential risk. I will try and find one.
I am only asking for about 5 tablets per month.
All the best!

Many thanks to all for the feedback and advice so far from all. I appreciate it. I have written a note to my doctor to establish whether I should follow the instructions to take two tablets a day as quoted on the prescription. I think doctors have been told to restrict Diazepam except in certain cases and the doctor is using that as a cop out.
15 years ago, long before I retired, I was treated for a condition at a leading private hospital in London. My job entailed me travelling to most parts of the world and as I needed to hit the ground running when I arrived in places like Japan, India or the USA for example, I needed something to help me sleep. The Professor who treated me issued me with an annual private prescription for 100 Zimovane and I had this each year for ten years. He did not see this as a big deal. As I no longer work I only finished the 2015 batch a couple of years ago. It might be that if I contacted him now he might remember me and issue me with a prescription for Diazepam? I am sure some doctors recognise that the the benefits of some medication outweighs the potential risk. I will try and find one.
I am only asking for about 5 tablets per month.
All the best!
I can say that in Great Britain it’s far easier to obtain drugs like diazepam or even medical cannabis from a private doctor
I think it’s because they aren’t a tied up with red tape as NHS doctors
It’s not fair tbh and I personally know people who have to jump through hoops for the pain meds they need and other people who don’t need them but because they can afford it they have unlimited prescriptions just to feed there habits
If medical cannabis was easier to obtain in Great Britain half the people I know with opiate/benzo habits would never have been exposed to these drugs
Sorry if that seems like a rant but it gets me very angry