• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can I use gabapentin during opiate taper?

Macadamia

Greenlighter
I am tapering off of hydromorph’s right now, And I have access to almost an infinite supply of gabapentin & Pregabalin.

My question is, could I use the gabapentin during my taper or is it only useful after I’ve jumped off.

For example I was thinking of inserting the gabapentin like this...

Monday
Dose 1 - 10mg hydro
Dose 2 - 10mg hydro
Dose 3 - 10mg hydro
Dose 4 - 10 mg hydro

Tuesday
Dose 1 - 8mg hydro + 100mg gaba
Dose 2 - 8mg hydro + 100mg gaba
Dose 3 - 8mg hydro + 100mg gaba
Dose 4 - 8mg hydro + 100mg gaba

Wednesday
Repeat

Thursday
Dose 1 - 8mg hydro
Dose 2 - 8mg hydro
Dose 3 - 8mg hydro
Dose 4 - 8mg hydro

essentially I would use the Gaba Only on days where I am dropping my opiate dose during my taper, And that way I don’t allow myself to get addicted to the Gaba, Because I would only take it every two weeks when I am dropping my dose.

would that work? Or would I still feel like shit on the fourth day when I stopped adding the Gabapentin and went back to just opiates?

If anyone can think of any other ways to use gabapentin During my taper please let me know, I just feel like it’s a waste having access to this very helpful drug but not using it until I’m in the pits of hell during the acute withdrawal phase

thanks

Your gabapentin dose is too low 300-600 mg i never got addicted to it. It's prescribed as non controlled and short term use fine

Hope your feeling better
I haven’t started yet, still just tapering down my pills, I haven’t gotten a straight answer from here or Reddit regarding whether I shou use gaba during my taper or not, so I’m just going to wait until I jump off. But I picked up some Pregabalin to use the first 4 days I jump off cuz I’ve been told be dozens of people that it’s stronger at taking away withdrawals

then from day 5 - 10 I’ll use gabapentin, and I’ll have abour 20 left over that I’m going to save for the PAWS down the road lol