View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

can i take doc on psych meds?

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
i'm on sertraline and lamotrigine. i know i can't take lsd or shrooms but will i get the full effect from doc?

thanks

An SSRI and DOC is probably not the best plan. I can't say for certain that you'll have a bad reaction, but the risk is just too high to justify it. The other med is lamictal, right?

How long will I have to discontinue to safely and effectively take it. Do I have to stop both the SSRI and the lamotrigine?

I've been on Lamictal daily for years and frequently take Psych's without and never have issues, including DOC. But that SSRI is what your gonna have to watch out for because it will have an impact on the trip. I really like Lamictal for my mental health symptoms it's the best pill they ever put me on all these years I've been seeing shrinks. I don't notice it causing any side effect.

First, this isn't exactly harm reduction - the best advice is indeed to stay clear off anything serotonergic while on a SSRI.

But if you've been on the sertralin for a while now, and if it stabilizes you, maybe discontinuing it just for a trip might indeed impose worse dangers than trying to combine. Primary thing about psychedelics & SSRIs is that you might feel less effects and thus subjectively (or also really) increased side effects, this applies more so to the less potent ones like psilocybin. I couldn't trip off shrooms for years now but a recent 1cP-LSD trip was the full deal off 200mcg when the other people were even taking more - admitted, I was offered it and just thought what the fuck, let's try.

DOC is a phenylethylamine and so might be more stimulating, for me this'd be the primary concern but if you know DOC and didn't get stimulatory adverse effects it'll probably be fine. Just start low, take half of your target dose, wait until full effects and then dose more if you feel it's underwhelming.

The brain unfortunately needs pretty long to fully recover after stopping long-term SSRI, some weeks probably. There's a minimal remaining risk of serotonin syndrome specially if you just started the sertraline, you might consider taking 1/4 of the dosage first to be really safe and watch out for signs like hyperthermia, tremor, agitation, high blood pressure.

These mood stabilizers tend to have poorly defined effects so anecdotal reports will give you a better clue but from what I read about the effects of lamotrigine (to reduce glutamatergic excitation) chances are there that it won't interfere much but don't take my word on it.

Yeah, 1cP-LSD worked to full extent while on venlafaxine 150mg for long time, took some hours to work but then even kinda reversed tolerance, I forgot to take the venla for some days after and had zero withdrawal symptoms (brain zaps, depression). Skipped the venla on the trip day too, this might have been beneficial as psydelics target more serotonin receptors than just 5ht2a but the primary mechanism by which they make you unable to trip afaik is receptor downregulation which is why you get withdrawal too and won't resolve in just one day.