• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Can I take a benzo for the last steps of my suboxone taper?

angelomorgano

Bluelighter
Hi,

In my vacation it got kind of out of hand again (then some oxy 150mg, then some heroin 200mg) for about a month or so, some days in between I took 5 days methadone to be with family, and then continued with oxy/heroin back home.

Two weeks ago work started again and I decided to quit everything for two months to let my brain lose it's tolerance again and be healthy.

I am now on a suboxone taper of the following doses sublingualy: 5, 4, 3.5, 3, 2.5, 2, 1.75, 1.5, 1.75, 2, 1.4, 1.1, 0.5, and today 0.5

I feel relatively OK, just some light lethargy and muscle ache. I do however work out 5 days per week (running, HIIT, running, HIIT, crosstrainer) and I feel quite fit!

My question is: Can I take a benzo to sleep nicer while on 0.5 suboxone? and if so, which one? (oxazepam, xanax, valium, lormetazepam) or better a zdrug zolpidem/zoplicon or better clonodine?

Thanks in advance :)

Yes you can take a benzo. I always have them on hand when facing opioid withdrawal. Obviously you do not want to take for extended periods of time or else you'll end up with a benzo addiction which is worse than an opioid addiction. Another thing to be aware of is the reduced inhibitions... if you get too blasted on the benzos you might end up taking more opioids so... you'll want to avoid that lol... thats doesn't seem to be a problem for me as long as I only take benzos before bed and avoid taking with stimulants ( even caffeine ) as that seems to help with the irresponsible spontaneous actions. With that all said, benzos are a god-send for sleeping through withdrawal.

As for what benzo? I dont think it really matters. I usually take xanax or ativan but you might find a longer acting benzo like klonopin may allow you a longer sleep.

Last edited:
I'm in the same kind of fix. Quit Heroin to go on holidays, had some suboxone and tapered down quite nicely. But I'm out of everything now apart from some benzos. Feeling ok physically, aches and pains, I can cope with, but not quite so great mentally. Don't want to backtrack after managing so well for the last few weeks. Don't like feeling so fucking down though. I never did things this way around before. Always just went straight for the "climbing the walls" option, which is unpleasant but quick. This dragged out thing is getting to me. I'm just grateful for the benzos.

Yes.
Temazepam is best for sleep though as mentioned a long lasting Benzodiazepine like Klonopin has its advantages

Yesterday I slept a nice 9 hours with 1mg melatonin and 0.20mg suboxone. Tonight I might try without, and if that does not work, I'll supplement with a benzo.
I have some klonopin (Rivotril from Roche) as well in the form of drops. I might give it a go for a couple of days. I am almost completely benzo naive (I take them once every 2 week, and right now it's been more than a month and a half), so I will take a low dose, I guess 8 drops or so.

I'm in the same kind of fix. Quit Heroin to go on holidays, had some suboxone and tapered down quite nicely. But I'm out of everything now apart from some benzos. Feeling ok physically, aches and pains, I can cope with, but not quite so great mentally. Don't want to backtrack after managing so well for the last few weeks. Don't like feeling so fucking down though. I never did things this way around before. Always just went straight for the "climbing the walls" option, which is unpleasant but quick. This dragged out thing is getting to me. I'm just grateful for the benzos.

I also read on other forums that magnesium, zinc, vitamine c in high doses also help the lethargy, I tried it before when I did a 'climbing the walls', it did help a little but not super much.

Have you heard of Ultra Rapid Detox? They bring you under general anesthesia and then flush the opiods from your system. Apparently your dependency is gone within 1-2 days. Sounds amazing, wonder how you feel when you wake up :p.

Would be amazing if they invent something that prevents homeostasis when taking drugs recreationally.

Haven't heard of the ultra rapid detox thing. Although I think if the mental longing for the thing is there, one can be clean but the constant want is impossible. I just end up caving. Back to square one and repeat.

i take benzos while on sub maint always have and will YOULL BE FINEEEEEEEEE

Haven't heard of the ultra rapid detox thing. Although I think if the mental longing for the thing is there, one can be clean but the constant want is impossible. I just end up caving. Back to square one and repeat.
After the detox you get a shot of vivitrol(naltrexone) which takes away the longing and effect of opiates if u do take them. I would like a shot because its also healthy, but I don't think they would give it here if I just asked :p

I tried xanax and klonopin, the latter made me feel like I was sedated and driven around in a wheelchair in a psychward, yet after 7 hours awake but moving my pillow was super hard.

I didnt take it last night and slept 8h, but again nightmares. I dont really care but are they normal?

If you're inquiring about the danger of Buprenorphine and Benzodiazepines specifically, the answer is that you do need to be cautious. However, you're now taking a relatively small dose of Buprenorphine, so as long as you keep dosages low it should be fine.

I would recommend trying something not as addictive or dangerous first though. You're discussing what sound like symptoms more on the mild side and Clonidine (Catapres) might be enough to make the difference without need for strong sedatives.

Are you having more trouble falling asleep, staying asleep or both?

If you're inquiring about the danger of Buprenorphine and Benzodiazepines specifically, the answer is that you do need to be cautious. However, you're now taking a relatively small dose of Buprenorphine, so as long as you keep dosages low it should be fine.

I would recommend trying something not as addictive or dangerous first though. You're discussing what sound like symptoms more on the mild side and Clonidine (Catapres) might be enough to make the difference without need for strong sedatives.

Are you having more trouble falling asleep, staying asleep or both?
Staying asleep. I usually fall a asleep because I am tired. And Then I wake up after 6 hours due to a nightmare. Then I can't fall a sleep again but feel super tired and lethargic. Yesterday I took no sedative to sleep (and 0.25 suboxone at noon). Today I wanted to completelly quit, but it's almost impossible to start the day. I just took 0.2mg suboxone to be able to start.

doxylamine might be of use to you if you want to stay away from benzos. Its otc in the US and I find its the only thing other than benzos that can make me go to sleep during W/ds though its a bit more disturbed of a sleep than with xanax. Even seroquel which normally knocks me out just doesn't seem to have what it takes to cut through opioid withdrawal.

Last edited:
doxylamine might be of use to you if you want to stay away from benzos. Its otc in the US and I find its the only thing other than benzos that can make me go to sleep during W/ds though its a bit more disturbed of a sleep than with xanax. Even seroquel which normal works good just doesn't seem to have what it takes to cut through opioid withdrawal.
I tried to find it, but couldn't here in the Netherlands.

I do have some Clonodine. I wonder how much of a dose of Clonodine is wise to take?

Hi again angel. Clonidine is a pretty cool and versatile drug. It reduces heartbeat slightly and causes the blood to flow more easily through the vessels. Sounds relaxing just talking about it!

Clonidine is great, in my opinion, is that it is an effective sedative without all of the side-effects or consequences of Benzodiazepines or Z-Drugs.

If I were you, I would take 0.2mg Clonidine as soon as you wake mid-sleep. Try that. We could bump it to 0.3mg if needed, but as it is an antihypertensive, we need to be cautious.

I have 0.025mg tablets. that means I should start with 8 tabs :D. Thanks for the tip, I'll let you know if I needed it and how it went.

I did not take any suboxone today and I can hardly walk so weak, even though my suboxoje dose was 0.2 mg last 3 days :S. Super strange, I like methadone a lot better.

I took 0.05 clonidine around 15:00 to see how i react, and I am sooo tired/exhausted, insane. Luckily we have corona and I work from home :cry:

Hey angel :)

First off, you're doing a great job and staying strong through your taper which is amazing. Keep in mind a lot of people never get as far as you have so kudos.

It is a pretty common complaint that moving from a low dose, no matter how small, to zero can be very difficult. If you truly feel like you cant make it or you're obligations etc. will be screwed by your condition, you always can use a little Bupe. Just knowing that you have it and can use it anytime can really make things seem less scary.

Clonidine can definitely wipe people out and I apologize if I encouraged a dose that was too high for you. Clonidine helps, but it can make you feel sluggish. Try different doses and find out what's best for you.

You can talk to us anytime. We are here to help and support you through this process. In the threads or you can PM whoever you like and trust most.