• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can I mix Hydroxyzine and Unisom?

Blueeyes01

Bluelighter
Hey everyone. Been detoxing and switching up my sleep meds because they seem to stop being effective very quickly during this process. I took 1 unisom an hour ago and yeah that's not cutting it. Anyone know if it's safe for me to take my 50mg Hydroxyzine Pam now? Thanks!

Are they the tablets with diphenhydramine? If so, it's not really bad but essentially, you would be doubling up on the antihistamine. It would probably make you thirsty so keep some water on hand. Hang in there and hope you get some sleep!

Thank you! No it's Doxylamine, a different OTC sleep aid I found. I've already used so much diphenhydramine haha

I don't know that "Unisom" pills, but for me only 50-75mg of hydroxyzine can make me sleep well, but hydroxyzine has a bad thing that make you sleep too much.

Inisom(Classic sleeptabs in US) are doxylamine succinate;

It a potent classical anti-histamine; however mixing it with hydroxyine it is pointless as hydroxyine is pote potent and has less side effects(non-anticholergic)

Well I ended up taking the Hydroxyzine about 3 hours after the Unisom and I'm still alive. Haha and finally got some sleep. But my GI is all messed up today, not sure if from the meds or just this WD process. I can't find my immodium and don't feel like going to the store ?
Thanks yal!

The GI mess is the wd- it will get better. If you know anyone that you can ask to get you the Immodium, do it! It will be worth having.

I got some immodium! Thank you! I haven't taken it yet but I certainly will. Just kind of dealing with PAWS at this point. Still sneezing spells but feeling better now that the worst of the WDs are gone.

There shouldn't be anything inherently dangerous about taking both simultaneously if that's what you wish to do. It's a pretty common reaction for people to experience an intensification of negative side-effects from antihistamines when they are experiencing withdrawal. For myself, I know that my RLS/Akathisia can be so greatly exacerbated that I want to rip my skin off. I just want you to make sure that this is not what you are experiencing when you say one antihistamine "isn't cutting it".

I generally don't recommend antihistamines to folks for withdrawal. I know doctors tend to recommend the sedating antihistamines as a first-line hypnotic agent to those in withdrawal, while in practice, a disproportionate slice of the population experience an exacerbation of symptoms.

^ Hydroxyzine has no appreciable anti-cholinergique activity, and is an effective medication for opioid wd, via multiple mechanisms

It is the ??classical antihistamines that are potent anti-cholinergique that should be avoided, like diphenhydramine and doxlymine.
There is literally no reason to mix them, simply raising hydroxyine dose would be more effective and safer, and little or no side effects at normal doses; and it produces Cetirizine as an active metabolite, which furthers contribute