• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Can huffing CO2 be dangerous?

Elinisti

Bluelighter
I've head some conflicting information about the dangers of high CO2 levels. Could one or two balloons of CO2 be possibly be toxic with a good oxygen intake included? I don't get any head aches and feel great after so it is hard to believe it could be harmful...

I've head some conflicting information about the dangers of high CO2 levels. Could one or two balloons of CO2 be possibly be toxic with a good oxygen intake included? I don't get any head aches and feel great after so it is hard to believe it could be harmful...

Yes of course this can be dangerous, breathing CO2 mimics suffocation so it's just as dangerous as any other way you could suffocate yourself.

CO2 induces anxiety, panic, and the feeling of suffocation.. do you actually enjoy it? It's toxic in the sense that your body will respond to high levels of CO2 in the same way that it would respond to you being unable to breathe.

If you're breathing carbogen (CO2/oxygen mixture) the risk of suffocation is markedly decreased... doesn't mean you can't give yourself a mean case of acidosis for a while though. That said I wouldn't really expect breathing premixed CO2/O2 to be a major concern if you're not doing it daily.

CO2 induces anxiety, panic, and the feeling of suffocation.. do you actually enjoy it? It's toxic in the sense that your body will respond to high levels of CO2 in the same way that it would respond to you being unable to breathe.

It is enjoyable. Maybe some masochistic tendencies are needed. But I'm curious. It isn't addictive at all like N20 and many other gases. Taking it without triggering some kind of cough reflex needs practice.

Carbogen would be nice but I'm just playing with balloons. Though I breath through my nose also so no fear about oxygen depravation.

What got me worried was some stereoid discussions about elevated CO2 levels that causes Hypercapnia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercapnia which (they said) is supposed to be neurotoxic. But more likely the massive amounts of stereoids are the cause of neurotoxicity.

This is a nice diagram

http://www.analox.net/carbon-dioxide-dangers.php

While cleaning a soda keg, I once stuck my nose way too far into it without realizing it was still full of CO2 gas. (Not one of my brighter moments.)

Holy cow, that was an unpleasant "breath". Someone actually likes that?!

Some people apparently experience euphoria as a result of asphyxiation (c.f. autoerotic asphyxiation), but it seems like majority of the population finds asphyxiation rather unpleasant. Different strokes? Humans seem to have a lot of built-in protective mechanisms (agonal reflex) to avoid asphyxiation, even if you're unconscious.

Wikipedia notes:
Hypercapnia can induce increased cardiac output, an elevation in arterial blood pressure, and a propensity toward arrhythmias.
Also, respiratory acidosis.

Pigs or animals in general are put down in slaugherhouses with CO2. No oxygen = no conciousness.

I guess that sums up the harmful part.

A kid on my street supposedly died from this last week, so let me tell you, yes, this is dangerous!

Huffing nitrous can be dangerous too if you go unconscious with a mask on that gives you no oxygen... but that has very little to do with the properties of nitrous.

IMO if you want to huff CO2 try to make ghetto carbogen by mixing in enough air with it, that should both reduce the chance of going out of oxygen as well as the risk of acidosis. The latter of which feels horribly fucked up I can tell you.

Maybe it's easy to say since I was never really a huffer but I don't think that is where it's at. Maybe worth trying but ultimately there should be more decent drugs out there.

CO2 does mimick suffocation, without oxygen it actually is... and with oxygen it is carbogen and this fools your body into thinking you are suffocating (relatively yes but absolutely no). Being fooled in itself isn't harmful.

When I was locked up, we'd make hooch in garbage bags from pineapple tidbits and jolly ranchers, a lot of the guys would inhale the C02 every time the bags became bloated with air. I tried it once, it felt similar to the feeling you get from standing up too quickly after being low to the ground too long, or what happens when you breath in and out really hard and fast for a while....not enjoyable at all. I just chalked it up to them being so bored than any altered state of consciousness could take their mind off where they were.

You really need to get a hobby...or some real drugs.