• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

can homosexuality be a choice?

I agree with pretty much what everyone else already said. I don't think you can choose who you are attracted to. I'm attracted to both genders and I know I didn't choose to be attracted to one or the other. I've known people who are questioning their sexuality and think they have to either be straight or gay and get all worried. I really think sexuality is fluid, you don't have to put a label on yourself. Bi, gay, lesbian, straight, whatever. You're just you. I think our society puts too much emphasis on labels whether it's sexual orientation, subcultures, religious views, etc.

homosexuality can be a choice, such as repressing homosexuality can be also. But logically, I don't think anyone "chooses" to be gay. Although theoretically, it is possible I guess.

Being a "gay" male I can try to break it down as much as my feelings are towards this... Sexualtiy isnt Black and white. Gay, Straight,Bi etc.... we all have our likes and dislikes when it comes to certain foods right? Just like most people for instance love pizza not all do and we don't consider this wrong its just our tastes? thats how sexuality is.... Sure a gay man can have sex with a woman and vice versa just like someone can eat something they dont like(or in some cases have never tried and for the first time). For a few years being a gay male I didnt understand bisexuality. I thought it was more cut or dry you are interested in one sex and one sex only(but that doesnt stop "trying" the other sex) lols another food refrence(sorry)...

With that being said sure everyone has the power to "choose" who they want to have sex with just like we have the power of free will... but its each persons individual sexual feelings of who they are with that determines thier "sexual" preference... growing up as a teen I was with woman and had sex with women(even though I still had sexual attraction for men) I think its because of the way I was brought up etc etc etc that I wasnt "educated" or made to feel that other ways were acceptable... Even being a GAY MALE now in my mid-thirties and have classified as gay... sure I could probably go out and sleep with a women(given that my equipment will rise to the occassion lol or at least attempt to anyways... thats the choice behind sexuality.... choice and feelings are two different things....

I am sure no one "chooses" to be gay to have to put up with all the stygma surrounding it.....

Its not so much a choice but the FEELINGS behind it that bring us to that path....

You had mentioned something like someone after years and years who was straight all of a "sudden" is gay now.... agaian sexuality isnt black and white... here comes yet another food reference haha... thier were foods I ate as a kid/teen/young adult that I loved but I cant stand now... your tastes in food grow over time just like your sexuality grows over time....

I will end with once again Its not black and white or its not even black and grey..... its a spectrum of colors(a wierd example for the rainbow flag but my feelings on this though) Sure you can "choose" who you can have sex with but the way you feel with that person sexually is what really defines it!

Hate on me if you want to. But Aids was created in a lab and given to gays as one of a couple minorities for population control. And wow, has it worked. How desperate do you have to be to keep on spreading it. Ughhhhhh

Down with the new world order. Google the georgia guidestones. You'll see why they are trying to reduce our population.

will you have your right to your own opinions but "wow" thanks for spreading your hate.....

BUT on a side note to this your hatred also brings up the whole choice thing... how many "straight" women have been infected with a bi-or gay male with aids obviously thier has been... AIDS has been so out thier that it affects even straight people today... another reson to show you that sexuality isnt as black and white as it seems to be... by your conspiracy theorist ways then this virus that was created shouldve wiped all the gays out since gays only sleep with gays etc etc.... no my friend open your eyes and try to educated yourself that sexuality isnt defined as man on women or just man on man woman on woman........ sure we can "choose" to have sex with anyone we want but AIDS isnt about sexuality but rather a virus and dont give me that crap about blood transfutstions etc etc for years now that has been screened outand sharing needles is such a small percentage of that... And BTW I don't hate you I welcome any thoughts or debates about topics... just try not to use hateful words while doing it... thank you please drive through!

Last edited by a moderator:
Being a "gay" male I can try to break it down as much as my feelings are towards this... Sexualtiy isnt Black and white. Gay, Straight,Bi etc.... we all have our likes and dislikes when it comes to certain foods right? Just like most people for instance love pizza not all do and we don't consider this wrong its just our tastes? thats how sexuality is.... Sure a gay man can have sex with a woman and vice versa just like someone can eat something they dont like(or in some cases have never tried and for the first time). For a few years being a gay male I didnt understand bisexuality. I thought it was more cut or dry you are interested in one sex and one sex only(but that doesnt stop "trying" the other sex) lols another food refrence(sorry)...

With that being said sure everyone has the power to "choose" who they want to have sex with just like we have the power of free will... but its each persons individual sexual feelings of who they are with that determines thier "sexual" preference... growing up as a teen I was with woman and had sex with women(even though I still had sexual attraction for men) I think its because of the way I was brought up etc etc etc that I wasnt "educated" or made to feel that other ways were acceptable... Even being a GAY MALE now in my mid-thirties and have classified as gay... sure I could probably go out and sleep with a women(given that my equipment will rise to the occassion lol or at least attempt to anyways... thats the choice behind sexuality.... choice and feelings are two different things....

I am sure no one "chooses" to be gay to have to put up with all the stygma surrounding it.....

Its not so much a choice but the FEELINGS behind it that bring us to that path....

You had mentioned something like someone after years and years who was straight all of a "sudden" is gay now.... agaian sexuality isnt black and white... here comes yet another food reference haha... thier were foods I ate as a kid/teen/young adult that I loved but I cant stand now... your tastes in food grow over time just like your sexuality grows over time....

I will end with once again Its not black and white or its not even black and grey..... its a spectrum of colors(a wierd example for the rainbow flag but my feelings on this though) Sure you can "choose" who you can have sex with but the way you feel with that person sexually is what really defines it!

well said, squeaks :) good to see you round.

the only thing i'd add is it is possible (and common) to acquire a taste, or develope a preference.