• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Can GHB cause acromegaly?

bk2schoo_bk2coo

Greenlighter
Hey all, I take this legally as I have narcolepsy. It has really changed my life and I don't want to stop taking it. Doctors always deny that any side effects are related to Xyrem when I bring them up. I get ignored on reddit when I try the narcolepsy group as few people understand what they are taking and it's a rare disease so not many people to talk to about it.

I take the lowest dose possible for me to get good sleep which is 3.5 x 2 per night.

However lately I keep getting tingling in my hands. I know the medication has a lot of salt so I'm upping my potassium and magnesium to the max to help with swelling. I also take a diuretic to get water retention down. But I know that this is a symptom of acromegaly after doing some research, and that Xyrem can double your growth hormone release. I also have the following symptoms:
  • Tingling in hands
  • Occasional carpel tunnel feeling
  • Muscle fatigue
  • Running out of breathe easily sometimes
  • Rings no longer fit unless I ice the shit out of my finger, then it's painful to wear
  • Excessive sweating
  • Oily skin
  • Random muscle pain

Is it possible that I'm developing acromegaly? Or could it be something else? Like my body just can't handle the salt? Just wondering if anyone out there used this drug for a long time and overcame these symptoms or if it caused any permanent damage to you?

While GHB can raise growth hormone levels by 2-fold in women, it can raise 20+ fold in men. This is very short-lived however (as long as the GHB itself).

True acromegaly by definition cannot be caused GHB. In theory it could lead to symptoms resembling the side-effect of human growth hormone supplementation, but even then probably not. A woman in particular, with a mere two-fold temporary increase in HG, would be at almost no risk of experiencing side-effects resembling those who are taking HGH supplementation.