• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Can diazepam sort hangover

Davel1987

Greenlighter
Hi there! I love a drink on weekends (not everyone) but suffer with hangover really bad to the point I need another drink or summit kind of relaxant. I suffer from anxiety and on 20mg of citalopram ed for 3 months now. Iv found that wen I'm hungover I become very anxious and only bad wen iv drunk but iv got diazepam 10mg tabs and wondering how much and weather it wud cure my horrible hangovers?? And I got them of the Internet there legit (teva uk) sealed and if anyone has had the same ones and if there any gud?? Any help wud be appreciated

Can you not drink less or make sure that you drink water before going to bed? Needing a drink the following day to ease the shakes or needing a valium is a sign that your overdoing it.

Depending on your tolerance 5 / 10mg will take the edge off the following day though.

I agree with Bearlove, the easiest way to avoid a hangover is to just not drink a lot. As an ex-drunk (look at the name), I don't even enjoy drinking a lot anymore, to the point of blacking out, but rather stop at something like ~300 ml vodka equivalent.

If you can't drink less, then diazepam will help. Don't take a lot in the morning though, because you will still have a considerable amount of alcohol in your system after a rough night, and you might overdose. Start low and find the sweetspot. Don't make a habit of it though, getting hooked on GABAergics (like benzos and alcohol) is one of the worst ideas ever.

I still strongly advise drinking less - the parties or whatever can still be fun if you're buzzed, but not hammered.

^ Agreed.

Other things you can do is stick to one type of alcohol, don't take shots of vodka, then whiskey, then tequila, this is asking for a hangover!
Always drink on a full stomach, so eat a meal before you drink. Stay hydrated, so drink water throughout the night. Then have another meal right before bed, it seems to soak up a lot of the alcohol. If you're feeling queezy the night of drinking, puke it out that night, don't try to hold it in, 'cause it will only fester in your stomach and be twice as bad the next day! < Those are ways to prevent a hangover, things that can ease hangover symptoms, once you're enduring one are, Vitamin B-12, or a vitamin b complex, Vitamin water "Revive", this was made specifically for hangovers! A light meal, like a piece of toast. Fruits and veggies that are high in nutrients. I always eat a whole tamato like it's an apple and it seems to work well. Drink plenty of water to flush your system, you want to be pissing constantly to clean out your liver and kidneys, also sweating will help this process as well. I used to get hangovers almost everyday, 'cause I would go wild and drink a lot of types of alcohol, now I just stick to beer, and beer only, and I never get a hangover.

- Hopeless 7nos

Oh yeah, I'd like to add, if the dude named "belligerent drunk", is telling you to drink less, you probably should be reconsidering your alcohol intake! lol x)

- Hopeless 7nos

^ I don't know if I just got old or something*, but I find the hangover is really not worth the extra alcohol I would consume the evening before, especially if as a result I would forget the rest of the night. Kind of useless. I just found my sweetspot, the approximate maximum amount of alcohol I can consume in an evening and not have a hangover the next day, and I just stick to it. However, I guess there is a difference between somebody who drinks alone at home just to relax and unwind in the evening, as compared to somebody who binge drinks on weekends at parties with large numbers of other people who are also getting hammered (which I assume is the scenario the OP drinks in). I can do without the few extra drinks, because I don't need to be hammered, but the party atmosphere might be less forgiving. Although I did do the whole getting hammered thing for a few years, albeit alone.

By the way, 7nos, the tips you gave are very popular, but I have tried everything when I was drinking, and nothing worked. The only thing that really made a difference was the speed at which I consumed the alcohol (a full stomach plays a huge role in this, that much is true, and drinking water in between might slow you down too). I could get a mild hangover if I drank 5 beers quickly, and I could get away with none if I drank 6 beers slowly. I really haven't found a proper explanation why that is, but it's something to consider. Of course, those tips do help ease the hangover, but it was always still nasty no matter what for me.

* I'm joking of course, I'm not old.

Last edited:
^ hmm maybe the speed in which you drink lessens the hangover, because you have time to urinate inbetween drinks, thus not bombarding your liver as much?

- Hopeless 7nos

^ if we assume that acetaldehyde is primarily responsible for the hangover, and that ethanol to acetaldehyde metabolism follows zero-order kinetics (the speed is constant, regardless of ethanol concentration*) for the most part, then it would mean that in order for there to be significant difference in ethanol -> acetaldehyde amount, ethanol has to exit the body proportionally a lot more if one drinks slower. I don't know if that holds water. On the one hand, what you say sounds logical. On the other hand, if you drink/absorb ethanol faster, then your BAC is higher, and urine (and other pathways, such as breath and sweat) should proprtionally contain more ethanol (at the same time, liver oxidation pathway is still at the same speed as slower drinking/absorption), which would decrease the overall acetaldehyde per unit of ethanol formation.

This is what confuses me so much, and I've even considered that perhaps the culprit is ethanol as well after all, not necessarily only acetaldehyde. Ethanol does interfere with many processes too, so I think it's not that far-fetched that higher BAC (albeit lower duration) could also result in a more severe hangover. What also led me to believe this is the fact that if I drink the same amount of ethanol on 2 occasions, on one I drink significantly faster and thus get a hangover, the hangover lasts well into the next day, up to 24 hours since my first drink; whereas if I drink slower (same amount), I'm symptom-free as shortly as 12 h since first drink. Now, logically the metabolites and everything should exit my body faster if I drink faster, right? Then why do the symptoms last longer? There has to be some downstream changes in the body which persist long after everything has left my system, so it is also possible that ethanol itself is responsible for this, which could explain why higher (but shorter) BAC is worse than lower, but longer BAC.

*I don't know at what concentration this begins to be true. However, considering the fact that ethanol is consumed in astronomically higher quantities (up to or over 1000 times) than all other drugs, I think it is not unreasonable to assume that zero-order kinetics start pretty much as soon as the first 10-20 ml of ethanol (~200-400 ml 5% beer) are consumed.

Last edited:
The normal hangover, that a non-alcohol-addicted person feels the morning after, with headache and nausea, is probably caused by acetaldehyde and dehydration I think.

When someone drinks so much that they have a real alcohol dependence (like I did), the hangover doesn't feel the same anymore, and it consists of symptoms like shakes, anxiety, palpitations etc., which last for at least 24 hours after stopping the drinking. I think the diazepam mostly helps with this kind of withdrawal symptoms and not necessarily with a typical hangover.

Eat during you're Alcohol intake. As in continuous snacks if possible.

All the time I lived in Viet Nam this is how they/I did it, and I never suffered a hangover no matter how drunk I was.

I have took 7.5mg of zopiclone before and that sorts it out feel sound. Jus find it hard where to buy them as not been prescribed

Back in my Alcoholic days a few Valium or a Temazepam the next day, a small dose of Oxy along with a fuckload of Gatorade was my hangover cure of choice when i had a really bad one. So yes Benzos do help with a hangover but hydration is even more important. You can prevent many of the nasty hangover effects by drinking water or Gatorade in between drinks and when your done drinking. Dehydration is a big part of the symptoms of a hangover. Also eating or drinking anything sugary the night before and the next day will help with the sugar crash. The type of liquor you drink also plays a big factor with Cider and dark liquor such as Whiskey and Scotch giving a worse hangover then say Gin. This is due to the methanol content in these liquors i do believe. I can drink Gin and Lime with Tonic or Soda water all day and not feel too bad the next day but 6 bottles of Cider is enough to give me a ripping hangover.

Also moderating your alcohol intake will lessen the hangovers you get alot. While doing shots of Tequila and downing 24 beers might be okay when your 20 i noticed that the closer i got to my 30's the worst the hangovers got. I am 34 now and only drink occasionally and rarely get drunk. I try to stick to at most a pint of liquor when i am drinking these days and a pint of Gordons London Dry Gin does not give me much of a hangover plus it tastes superbly awesome mixed with Gin and Soda water :) . For the price, taste and lack of a crushing hangover Gin is the best bet imo. Many people prefer Vodka but i have not drank Vodka since my early 20's as i got turned from the shit. Id much rather drink Moonshine then fucking Vodka these days even if alot of Moonshine is basically Vodka anyway.

Diazepam will work but it's better to use a shorter acting benzo so you're not killing your liver and so you will be clear of stuff in your system before your next drinking adventure.

Benzos can definitely be helpful for hangovers, especially if you're suffering anxiety, holiday heart, and those sort of things, but, really, it's a bit of a double-edged sword. If you can cope with your hangovers with the aid of more drugs, IME it just helps to reinforce an unhealthy drinking habit.

If you need to be functional the next day, watch the dose. I used to take a couple xannies when extremely hungover, eat a bunch of food, have a banana or two, drink an ensure, load of pedialyte, and pass out for a few more hours. Definitely didn't feel good as new, but certainly would experience much less misery.

Diaz in a reasonable dose is much more functional, though, good thing to keep on hand provided you have self-control with it.

I agree with Bearlove, the easiest way to avoid a hangover is to just not drink a lot. As an ex-drunk (look at the name), I don't even enjoy drinking a lot anymore, to the point of blacking out, but rather stop at something like ~300 ml vodka equivalent.

If you can't drink less, then diazepam will help. Don't take a lot in the morning though, because you will still have a considerable amount of alcohol in your system after a rough night, and you might overdose. Start low and find the sweetspot. Don't make a habit of it though, getting hooked on GABAergics (like benzos and alcohol) is one of the worst ideas ever.

I still strongly advise drinking less - the parties or whatever can still be fun if you're buzzed, but not hammered.

Sorry but the part you said about not taking to much diazepam the next day cuz you might overdose is bullshit. He's complaining about anxiety the following day so that implies the majority of alcohol has left his system or else he wouldn't be feeling so anxious, also even if he was a little drunk still the amounts of diazepam he would take wouldn't nearly be enough to make him od. Hell it wouldn't be enough if he took 20-30mg while actively drinking.

Chlomethiazole 192mg X1 should sort the trick out and you wont wake up with a bad hangover

You can take benzos with alcohol; it is not that dangerous as long as you watch dangerous. and contrary to what people think, it will not kill you unless that is your intent. And people are right you will not overdose on the next ​day