• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Can desipramine induce lethargy?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Well - I mean, Lofepramine - but that's just a prodrug to desipramine so, same thing.

I started at 70 mg and titrated quickly up to 210.
AFter a few weeks, lethargy began encroaching - I assume as the theraputic effect took hold.

So I knocked it down to 140.
Tried two in the morning, two at night, one in the morning and one at night - but no matter what, it all seemed to leave me pretty bombed.

So I knocked it down to 70 mgs at night, which I've been taking for 4 days now.

IBS is returning slowly with the lower dose - as it had cleared up at the high dose.

Is it normal to experience lethary on desipramine?
Stahls prescribers guide seems to think it is.

I'd say so. Probably has classical antihistamine effects, and knocking down H1 receptors in the brain leads to feeling like your brain is made of sludge. There should be some tolerance development if you take it every day, however - see also, how people can live taking Benadryl for their allergies on any sort of a regular basis.

The anti-histamine effect of both could be stacking. Maybe desipramine is an muscarinic antagonist?

Well, it's actually Lofepramine - which has little to no H or mACh blocking properties.

When I went up to 450 mg of bupropion - same deal - fatigue like crazy.

Well in some cases NE mediates GABA release. If it helps shut off your thoughts it could also be having effects on whatever circuits were involved in your delusional depression. If you were getting "energy" from any of those sorts of circuits to compensate (even if that compensation made things worse in the long run as far as altering physiology) then it might just take some time to adapt back to a bit of a thought-pattern normalized state, but idk.