• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Can anything be done with stems?

LuGoJ

Bluelighter
I have a huge bag full of stems that I've am amassed over the years. At least an ounce or so. Is there anything I can do with them? Worth trying to make butter with them?

Why do I have a huge bag of stems? Apparently I'm just a pack rat.

Last edited:
I like to burn them in my outdoor firepit.:) Why not try the butter though--it will no doubt be weak but a mellow li'l brownie is a mellow li'l good time.=D

sometimes, when the weed is really sticky, you also have some of it on the stems. maybe a BHO extraction?

I've always put my stems in a tupperware with coins and then put them in the freezer (to make crystals more brittle) and then shake the container really well. The coins will knock the kief off of the stems, if your weed is good you'll get a surprising amount. Use a sifter or just pick out the stems.

BHO is a bit too much effort/money for a stem wash but if you swirl it around in some 99% isopropanol for a few minutes and let the solution dry in a dish then you will be left with all the smokeable hash. Even with an oz. of stems it likely won't yield even as much as a quarter gram of hash, but there will at least be something to collect with a razor and toke.

Extract with IPA, MeOH, or EtOH. Whatever alcohol you use, make sure it's anhydrous.

Woman_weaving_baskets_near_Lake_Ossa.jpg

or kindling would be a good option

I take all my stems and put them in a large script bottle or a small jar. If you leave the stems with a little bit of leaf attached here and there you can utilize them.

If you dont rub your stems completely while breaking down bud there is still kief attached to the stem. Throw all them in the bottle or jar and save em up.

Once you have earned enough stems you could then do some kind of simple extraction like a quick ISO alcohol wash.
Or when your in a pinch or want kief you can take that bottle and shake the shit out of it for a good minute I suppose. Pour all of the stems on a clean surface and separate the stems from what you want which is the kief and plant matter that has fallen off the stems. Works for me. Some of that kief comes out looking great. Scrape that up and your in.

I just chuck them. Even after trimming pounds of weed and being left with the "branches" covered in resin I couldn't see any point in keeping them. A good dealer will thin stem out anyway. Nobody likes paying for stem or seed.

AHA! Well, actually, I collect my stems, and keep them stored separately. I use these, along with other herbs to brew tea. Simply place the material in a strainer or a tea bag. Trichome heads don't form on the stem, and it is rather pointless and hard to smoke. The taste of the tea is phenomenal!

With your amount of stems yes!! I've had about the same amount of stems, and it's my favorite to make tea with them. Take a normal tea bag rip it open, and empty out the tea, replace it with stems. ( I use all stems in one batch ) (for the most effect) then as normal steep the stems in low boiling water, and bam. You have weed tea, I wouldn't say it's a crazy high. But you will defiantly notice it. The high temp of the water, cause any thc in the stems to activate and release into the water. An the tea Surpisingly tastes good! Good luck hope you enjoy.

Butter from stems would be horrible IMO. You could make a tincture from them instead, an ounce or so of stems should actually make a pretty good tincture.

BHO is a bit too much effort/money for a stem wash but if you swirl it around in some 99% isopropanol for a few minutes and let the solution dry in a dish then you will be left with all the smokeable hash. Even with an oz. of stems it likely won't yield even as much as a quarter gram of hash, but there will at least be something to collect with a razor and toke.

And it still wont get anybody high. Plus, you'd be wasting your basket weaving materials.

Here are other ideas...

Make toothpicks
Kindling for starting fires
Make paper (extra points if you get some decent rolling papers out of it)
Compost them & use the soil for your next grow
String
Rope
Cloth
Plastics
Make a car (a small one that weighs under 1oz)

I have a huge bag full of stems that I've am amassed over the years. At least an ounce or so. Is there anything I can do with them? Worth trying to make butter with them?

Why do I have a huge back of stem? Apparently I'm just a pack rat.

Hell yes you can do something with it.

Assuming you have a grinder (a 4 piece grinder with a sieve screen), grind up 2-3 grams at a time, place a coin in the grinder and stash it in the freezer. Every 12 hours or so, horizontally shake the grinder for a minute or so. You've collect a large amount of kief if your stems come from good weed.

Tom

And it still wont get anybody high. Plus, you'd be wasting your basket weaving materials.

Here are other ideas...

Make toothpicks
Kindling for starting fires
Make paper (extra points if you get some decent rolling papers out of it)
Compost them & use the soil for your next grow
String
Rope
Cloth
Plastics
Make a car (a small one that weighs under 1oz)
According to you, the "best way to make a cannabis edible" is to use, "leaves, vaped bud, twigs"
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/archive/index.php/t-750472.html

You can get an alright amount of ISO hash from them. I'm super cheap and always save them to make hash. You won't get anywhere near the amount you would with bud but a gram of hash is still better than none...!

According to you, the "best way to make a cannabis edible" is to use, "leaves, vaped bud, twigs"
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/archive/index.php/t-750472.html

I never said twigs get you high & I wouldn't only use twigs. I use them as flavouring, but it's not going to get me stoned on it's own. I add cinnamon, sugar, cloves, cardamom pods & vanilla too, they wont get me stoned either. Some kind of leaf or bud (or extract from leaf or bud) is an essential ingredient in any cannabis edible.

Vaped bud has no flavour left in it, so I add twigs because they taste a bit like weed & I'd only have thrown them away otherwise. I'm not into basket weaving or anything.

There is no hash on twigs, trichome heads are where the hash is & they don't form on stems.

Last edited: