• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Can a phd in another field be an asset?

desertshore

Bluelighter
Before the question let me briefly explain my situation: I've got a BA and a MSc in Cognitive Psychology, plus a PhD in Cognitive Neurosciences. The supervisor I hoped for was not confirmed and changed institution, and shortly (6 months maybe) after beginning my PhD program I felt this was not what I wanted to do, but dropping out did not look as a better option, so I continued.
I got my PhD at the beginning of February, and by then I received a good research position abroad but refused it (I was uncertain and they could not wait for my decision more than they already had). Now I have a fellowship in the neurosciences department of a big hospital in my hometown, but I don't like the place (though I like very much my coworkers) and I am quite decided to drop this neuroscience stuff altogether.

The question is: do you think that, in your country, having a PhD in another field could help you in getting a job? Would it be seen as a plus or as 4 years wasted? I am thinking about a job as data analyst/statistician, as I actually like that stuff and statistics is probably my 'strongest' transferable skill. I'm actually about to enroll in a postgraduate course in Statistics. I live in Italy and here PhD are only assets if you stay in the academia, and for some (but most likely not all) research position in industry. In your experience, what would be the situation in your country? State the country also :p

Thanks a lot!

It is pretty much the same here in the United States. PhDs are generally only applicable to research positions. Not ALL research positions are in academia, however - there's always the pharmaceutical industry, the biotech industry, etc. I don't know anything about how well cognitive neuroscience translates into industry, though. I think the only way you can make it applicable is to start on a different research track, or like you have already planned, use your understanding of statistics as a head-start into an enirely different track.

It is pretty much the same here in the United States. PhDs are generally only applicable to research positions. Not ALL research positions are in academia, however - there's always the pharmaceutical industry, the biotech industry, etc. I don't know anything about how well cognitive neuroscience translates into industry, though. I think the only way you can make it applicable is to start on a different research track, or like you have already planned, use your understanding of statistics as a head-start into an enirely different track.

Don't forget teaching in academia. Yes, the professor would still need to do research and publish but IME lecturing and interacting with students can be exhilarating and rewarding. No I'm not a prof, but I did teach some lectures as a TA in grad school.

I interpreted his question as him asking in what context a PhD could be used OUTSIDE of academia.

^ Yes, outside of academia.
@Jerry: teaching in academia would be interesting... but you have to be a professor. Yes, there are TA and here every year there are some courses that get unassigned to the academic staff, so there external 'experts' get called to fill the voids. I'll probably keep my position unless I find something better and already thought about getting a 'temporary' teaching position next year.

Trying to rephrase a bit the initial question: when seeking a job, someone with a PhD would be considered at the same level of someone that just got an M.Sc.? As someone that slazed for 4 years after the degree? Or the experience in grad school and the skills that often are built during those years (a bit of grantsmanship, statistics, maybe some programming, being experienced at writing papers/reports, to work autonomously, etc...) are given some importance?

Have you considered being a sales rep for one of the pharmaceutical companies? The Dr initial helps and the cog psych background might help secure a position repping to psychiatrists

this is one of the few instances where i think there may be some crossover potential, but it depends how strong your statistics are. math/statistics are useful in a ton of fields, so people with quantitatively-intensive PhD's often find jobs outside their chosen industry (i.e. physicists working in finance). however, it does depend on how strong your quantitative skills are, as well as your ability to sell your other skills as relevant in a different field.

I would go for something like Social Psychology and go into Marketing research. I hear software develops are booming in Big Data era, and stats crunching consumer psychologists are golden for the right people.

In Venezuela, to answer the question, PhD's are becoming a professional rather than academic degree (they are devaluating), and it is valuable in certain fields. Which is why post-PhD programs are becoming more commonplace here.