• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Can a blind person trip?

Blind woman's tripping experience. Blind since birth.

Quote:
I'd rate this as a level 2 trip. Well, it happened last Sunday. First, a little background.
I'm 35, blind, being treated for depression and anxiety disorder. However, I've always wanted to go on a psychedelic trip. I researched as much as I could. I decided in favor of the "magic mushroom" experience, rather than acid.
Because I've been blind since birth, I wondered if a trip would allow me to "see", that is to imagine what sight might be like--particularly color.
After eating about eight mushrooms, I waited. I was a little nervous, but also excited as this is something I've always wanted to do but never had the opportunity before.
I didn't feel any nausea or anything. After a while, I started laughing about almost every line of dialogue in the "Star Trrek" episode I was listening to. I couldn't understand why the characters were so angry. Why be angry about anything, I was thinking. By the way, that is not normal for me. I was very relaxed--but where were the hallucinations?
I asked my husband, who is also blind and who has done shrooms before. He said "Be patient." Okay, I went with it. Soon, everything began to
feel pretty. I felt small and dainty. Standing out on my balcony, my long nightgown, moved by Maui's gentle trade winds, became for me a
wedding gown. My head was filled with Aladdin's lamp, a sense of great beauty. Not visual; emotional. At midnight, I went for a walk around
the complex where I live. Hawaii, beautiful anyway, felt more so to me. I just had to be outside. I felt in no way "on drugs", "stoned" or high. I felt absolutely in control. I didn't even feel the anxiety I would have normally felt when I discovered that I had gotten turned around
in the parking lot. I thought: So what? I'll figure it out, and in the meantime, I'll enjoy this beautiful Hawaiian night.
When a lady drove into the complex, I waved an aloha, and she stopped. I asked her if she could get me back on track. Then I told her I'd done some shrooms, that I was feeling wonderful, and wanted to go for a walk. So, that's what we did. Not immediately back to my place, but around the block. Still, no hallucinations.
I got back inside, lay down on the couch and Wham! What felt like light began to shine upon my head, about where the third eye is. I have never seen light, but that's what it felt like to me. Light. I realized then, that Mother Earth was gentle, God is good, and there was nothing to
worry about. I felt little-kid happy for the first time in a long time. I realized intuitively, not judgmentally, that I was sometimes cross with my kids because they had this little-kid happiness, and I had grown up and lost mine. I realized that I envied them their youth, their lightness of heart, and their sight. This realization was gentle, not shaming. The couch I lay on seemed to rock me in its arms. The air smelled like chocolate. Beautiful presences were near me. I felt a loving God smiling above me. I came down gently, and went to bed.

To tell the truth, I have experienced more anxiety or paranoia on marijuana and coffee. I wish my doctor could prescribe psilocybin for my depression and anxiety disorder rather than Paxil. Or both. Perhaps I had beginner's luck; I don't know. But it was wonderful, and I am, at this writing, definitely a psilocybe fan.
Peace,
Thea.

I dont mean to sound stupid, but for example, say someone was on lsd, and they wore glasses all the time. Would what they see, be affected by removing their glasses or not?

Like I said, I dont mean to sound stupid, I'm just curious

As somebody who wears glasses all the time (shortsighted w/ astigmatism)
, there's a definite difference between tripping with them and without.

Personally I've found that when i relax and let the psychs do their thing my vision noticeably improves. On a number of occasions it's gotten to the point where I can see pretty much near perfectly (minus any hallucinations!)

I think visuals are a very big component to the trip, the feelings seem to correalate to the images you see, its crazy. I mean listening to music and seeing things move and wave around with the music? Come on, that's awesome.

I assume most people on these forums took psychedelics cause they heard you see crazy shit. *eyes roll*

Look beyond the eye candy and you'll see something even better.

Nice assumption. Wrong, but nice :|

This is very interesting and there must be more blind people who have ingested psychedelics in the hopes of "seeing" and I bet there must be some people who have had experiences of "seeing" on them. Also do blind people really not dream??? Do they not have fantasy visions??? This is interesting and maybe MAPS should do a study on this and see if it does help the blind percieve colors and visions for there first time!!!

That's reeeeally cool, thanks for posting up that experience, InTherapy82. It's fascinating that she felt "light" and understood intuitively what it was, even though she had never seen it before. I think it just goes to show that light is a universal concept representing the divine in all of us.

Dexter- I agree that there is a lot of unexplored territory in the use of psychedelics for various neurological disorders. Blindness may be one of them, in addition to ADHD, Alzheimers, Autism, Anxiety, and many other things that inexplicably start with the letter A.

I've always wondered...

I wear contact lenses allllll the time. I don't take them out when I sleep, only change them once every two weeks. My vision is pretty bad, anything more than 5 feet away is very blurry without my contacts.

I've always wondered, if I tripped with my contacts out, if the absence of the contacts (and therefore somewhat a lack of external [visual] stimuli) would force me to focus on the visions and the trip more than when I have 20/20 vision. I would think, being unable to see very well, that I would naturally focus more internally during the trip, rather than getting distracted by the environment. Almost like wearing a blindfold, but not quite that extreme. Does anyone have a hypothesis on whether I am right or not? Do you think the trip would be significantly altered if I didn't wear my contacts? Do you think the visuals would take more of a priority and maybe be more intense, with me lacking my normal vision?

Come to think of it, it would suck SO BAD if I, for some reason or another, had to put my contacts back in my eyes while tripping. Oh god that would be so hard and frustrating. I don't think I could do it.

the visuals are better with your eyes closed.
I told my fiance to go away because everytime he talked to me and i opened my eyes, I was brought back to reality hahahya, then later I realized he'd actually gone and not just into the next room like I wanted and felt like a total bitch, but anyway, le visuals were BETTER with eyes closed.
If you went blind at some stage, then you definately can see thi9ngas in your dreams and when you close your eyes, if you're blind since birth however, *shrug*

I usually don't get OEVs. I only got them the 1st time I took acid. I don't see things on mushrooms. I still trip. You can trip without the sense of sight.

while reading through this thread I had totally forgotten about the third eye until reading the blind ladies experience on mushrooms!

I'm not blind, but we cannot forget about the third eye for people who ARE blind... as the third eye literally is a third eye. It's exactly centered in the middle of our heads and it has more rods and cones in it to pick up light than our actual eyeballs do from what I have heard. It's funny she did not get the sensation of light until she "laid down" on her couch. Just like laying flat, centered below the great pyramids as amplification for this third eye "Seeing," so is the key to seeing with our third eye for all of us, laying flat on our backs looking straight up. It's the all seeing eye. Anyways... Just rambling. That's pretty cool, and if seeing has anything to do with picking up senses from the world around us, than yes...

I don't follow, but the pineal gland, which is thought to be the third eye does not have photoreceptive ie. light-absorbing cells (rods and cones). In some animals it is photosensitive, but in humans it releases melatonin via a different means rather then changes in light and darkness.

Blind people I would assume beyond anything can see very well, they just have the notion in their heads that since they are told they cannot see, they assume they have a handicap when in actuality a lot of the time I would assume, they probably have a much more acute sense of the world around us than many of us do... Especially not being able to "See" much of the symbols that trap us in our own minds and prevent us from objectively sensing / observing the world around us.

Why would blind people have a more acute sense of the world? Sure, the four other sense are hieghtened dramatically (or so I have read), but that doesn't change the fact that in some cases, the visual cortex does not work, or is not properly connected to the persons eyes- this is a physical limitation of sight. It needs "correct" functioning to relay data in the right way. I understand your metaphysical point but I don't think visual blindness translates into spiritual power.

It depends, if it is their eyes that are damages they will most certainly get visiuals, but if there visual cortex is damages or other areas associated with sight, such as the LGN, then it would be unclear as to whether they would get visuals.