View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Can a blind person trip?

Devo_

Bluelighter
No offence obviously, but I was wondering, if a blind person were to take a psychedelic, would they trip? Me and a friend were talking about it and we couldn't come up with any answers, so I thought I'd try and find out.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this or any ideas?

Thanks =)

do you stop tripping when you close your eyes?

what a dumb question.

I don't think it's such a dumb question. Of course they would trip, but the question I think is would they get "visuals."

I think they would, well, they certainly would if they were blind but could differentiate between light and dark as many blind people can. with or without visuals they would still experience some sort of 'trip'

Of course they would still trip, they still have a brain just like the rest of us.

I'm sure a blind person would get visuals as long as there vision center of there brain is working.

No offence obviously, but I was wondering, if a blind person were to take a psychedelic, would they trip? Me and a friend were talking about it and we couldn't come up with any answers, so I thought I'd try and find out.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this or any ideas?

Thanks =)

I saw one trip on his front lawn while mowing the lawn.

Joking aside,

I believe that if the optic never is dead, the person tripping would probably not be able to have any visuals. But he would experience the physical attributes and effects of the particular psychoactive or stimulant substance they ingestion's they may have shot up.

mjshroomer

Of course they would.
The visuals(of which OEVs are only part of)are only a small fraction of the psychedelic experience.

this comes with the question - "can a blind person dream?"

it depends really. If the person were blind from birth - then no, they would not have visuals.

If the person became blind later on in their life, then yes they would get CEV's.
All colors are stored in their memory and therefore, the brain can still recall them while dreaming (and probably while tripping).

heres one of many sources
http://www.earthsky.org/faq/blind-dreams

No need to call the question dumb. However, I think it's a pretty straightforward answer. Yes. Tripping is about way more than the visuals. Just close your eyes for your trip and see what I mean. In fact I recommend greatly that you do.

And whether or not a blind person can see CEVs is also irrelevant. Tripping is primarily about the mental effects. It affects all of your senses and your thought processes... the visual sense is just one, if perhaps the most immediately obvious.

I realise now that I worded my question a bit wrong. But either way, I got an answer.

Thanks guys =)

do you stop tripping when you close your eyes?

what a dumb question.

There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers- for example, yours. Keep it civil or I will cast an infraction down upon thee. :\

Theres a few threads on similar stuff- but of course a blind person will trip. Obviously blindess is a bit different to shutting your eyes; if a person has no ability to fom images in their visual cortex, they won't see anything. That said, we "see" things that are not visual like phosphenes. Ie. rubbing your eye produces that weird shape in the darkness, mechanical stimulation of the visual cortex via pressure on the optics nerve.

I have a feiend with red/green colour blindess who has taken acid and DMT to great effect; of course, that isn't blindess. I have a friend with complete monochrome vision- I only took MDMA with her, but she found the experience quite painful if there was any light in the area whatsoever. However, she utterly loved it, and has been to many doofs with me; she enjoys light shows as well :) I'm pretty sure erowid has a little section on this.

By the way, Iam noticing a bit of rudeness across PD at the moment- this is not on- rude posts are simply not welcome here.

I would be really interested to speak to a blind person that trips. There are different types of blindness as I understand it. Some peoples eyes simply don't work for whatever reason. Some peoples eyes work just fine and the nerve connecting them to the brain work fine, but for some reason their brain doesn't recognize the input. Those people would be especially interesting to speak to about tripping as well as about how they conceive of spacial relationships.

^The visual cortex seems to get hijacked by the remaining four senses in people who are "brain-blind" (no nerve/faulty nerve connection to the visual cortex). I would wonder if, as opposed to visuals, there would be a confusing scrambling of the senses as in such blind folk, often times this brain area doesn't atrophy or any such thing, but becomes involved in the processin of other sensual data. Then again, the term visual cortex simply corresponds with the place most of us process vision, and is probably a region of the brain that can adapt as needed. Hence the ability to feel any sense through any sense ie. synaethesia. I doubt any one brain region if meant/can only do one thing.

I dont mean to sound stupid, but for example, say someone was on lsd, and they wore glasses all the time. Would what they see, be affected by removing their glasses or not?

Like I said, I dont mean to sound stupid, I'm just curious

I've heard similar things swillow and I suspect you're right. No doubt these people would have very unique trips.

Devo, their vision would be blurry but their visualizations would be generally unchanged, i think.

I dont mean to sound stupid, but for example, say someone was on lsd, and they wore glasses all the time. Would what they see, be affected by removing their glasses or not?

Like I said, I dont mean to sound stupid, I'm just curious

Not stupid at all :) I would say for an individual who uses glasses for focus (either longsightd or shortsighted etc) the problem lies in the muscles of their eyeballs, not their actual visual cortex. I'm sure that if they removed their glasses, they would experience the same "distortions" their eyes already exert (which would be considered normal for a bespectacled one) whether on drugs or not.

The main thing removing or wearing glasses does is alter the way light enters your eye, not how its processed. It is quite fun to wear sunglasses when tripping, then romve them- colours are even more enahnced after a period of shade.

I've noticed wearing sunglasses on DXM allows you to be more likely to hallucinate in the daytime, as I've never had open eyed visuals on DXM unless in a dark room, or looking in a dark area of the room. Sunglasses sort of make everything look dark without the lights on in daytime. Sort of unrelated, I guess the same would happen on a psychedelic with the colors being pronounced.

Sunglasses sort of make everything look dark without the lights on in daytime

Spot the fuck on :D:D <3

Come on guys, you ask silly questions...

No blind people would not have a unique trip, ALL TRIPS are unique to the person subjectively as it is.

Visuals is not the only thing a trip has to offer. Tripping is more than that.

Yes, blind people would trip just as a person who could see. Visuals once again, don't define a trip.

I assume most people on these forums took psychedelics cause they heard you see crazy shit. *eyes roll*

Look beyond the eye candy and you'll see something even better.

Last edited: