• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Diet Can’t sleep properly on 100mg of 5HTP.

Peachy228

Greenlighter
Literally everywhere on the internet it says that 5HTP is a godsend for sleep and that it should be taken at night. If I take it at night, it makes me tweak. I wake up every 30-60 minutes feeling absolutely wired and ready to get up and do something. After I fully wake up from this messed up sleep, I feel chatty and energized but also tired at the same time. It clearly makes me feel better but it comes with a price. I tried taking it during the day, but it makes me feel weird and lethargic. I usually take it no more than 3-5 days in a row ever few weeks and it works like magic.

Should I take less?

Could it be my personal brain chemistry and how I react to serotonin in general? For example, DXM is sort of a stimulant for me. It always makes me manic and I can’t stand still on it even when I’m shitfaced on the third plateau. I also get similar mania when taking MDMA. 5HTP also makes me sort of manic but not to the extent that serotonin releasing drugs do.

Everyone reacts differently to supplements and drugs. Just take less or earlier in the day. It could be interacting with another medication if you take any.

Ashwagandha gives me insomnia. Melatonin can give me insomnia and anxiety. Omega 3 fish oil gives me insomnia and anxiety, etc, etc...

I think so many years of drug use had made my brain hypersensitive to most things.

Personally I sleep the best when I don't take anything at all close to bed time, even stuff purported to help.

Everyone reacts differently to supplements and drugs. Just take less or earlier in the day. It could be interacting with another medication if you take any.

Ashwagandha gives me insomnia. Melatonin can give me insomnia and anxiety. Omega 3 fish oil gives me insomnia and anxiety, etc, etc...

I think so many years of drug use had made my brain hypersensitive to most things.

Personally I sleep the best when I don't take anything at all close to bed time, even stuff purported to help.
I found that for me magnesium glycinate works like magic for sleep. I like 5HTP because it basically feels like a drug and it helps a lot when life gets monotonous and boring.

Yeah, everybody reacts differently to everything. I can tolerate L-Tryptophan very well, but 5-HTP gives me intolerable nausea.

Melatonin keeps me awake. A lot of the standard herbs like chamomile and scullcap just don't to anything for me at all. Kava extract makes me extremely nauseated.

There isn't a whole lot that works on my insomnia except for maybe a low dose of benzos like Klonopin, or a low (25-50mg.) of diphenhydramine.

You need to be aware of adverse reactions as well though, whether it's natural, over-the-counter or prescription.

Sweet Dreams!!!
Dreamflyer
:sleep:

Try it if ya must around lunch time.
I take it like every third day or something.
not sure of benefits but know I don't care for it at night much.
good thread though got me thinking of my own use and possible outcome.
peace

I've been taking a combination of 5-HTP, L-Theanine (theanine serene with relora blend) and armodafinil for 13 years in order to be high functioning while maintaining a steady habit of choice.

I can take 200mg of armo and go to bed.

If I take 100mg of 5-HTP after noon I won't sleep that night.

Once or twice a year I go through periods where I don't sleep for 3-4 days. (Bone sober)

"Sober" now (sans nootropics) but without that cocktail I can't get out of bed.