• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Camera shopping (Compact advice)

Zopiclone bandit

Bluelighter
I've moved over to a different kind of benefit in the UK & get more than I was plus I get paid in a lump too. My last camera was sold sadly & I miss my street photography so badly, I'm taking it back up as I enjoy it so much & it keeps me busy instead of getting high. I'm not being arrogant here but I could take a ok photo.

I don't want something big as with Street photography people notice it & I've had bad experiences to say the least from it, I like a small compact with a half decent burst rate, the F rating is also important to me, say F1.6 would be great & a zoom of around X20 but that isn't vital as I like to get up & close. The most vital part is small so I can hide it & lightweight too wh n it's in my pocket.

Anyone have any ideas etc to help me? I will add you to my list of thanks when I make The Tate gallery in London.

what’s your budget? if you’re shooting street, you sure you need a zoom lens? those compacts with the mechanical zoom are a bitch to use. nothing about them is quick. and primes give a better image, especially with compact lenses.

I would look into the Lumix DMC-LX10. I have another model Lumix and am fairly satisfied with the controls, compact size and quality (sturdy frame, Leica lenses). The LX10 only has 3x optical zoom, but has a physical aperture dial for F1.4-2.8 and up to 50fps burst.

I'm no photographer but one of my friends is and he was just raving about the recent lines of Sony cameras.
I don't know how compact you want but my understanding is that they are making some top tier tech more in the reach of lower budgeted photographers.