• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Cambodia to Vietnam with benzos - specifically Zepam (10mg diazepam).

yagecero

Bluelighter
I'm in Cambodia at the moment and I don't think I need to go into the OTC pharms situation here. In any case, I'll be travelling to Vietnam by boat or bus soonish, and I'm wondering if anyone has any recent experience with crossing the border with Zepam. I know that it is still possible to obtain diazepam in Vietnam OTC, but I've also read it is more difficult to do so these days. Apparently, by law, they are only technically available by prescription now (unless you pound the pavement to find a more "willing" pharmacy).

I'm not using it stupidly - mainly just for sleep when on buses/in loud environments, but I would still appreciate any advice regarding the border crossing. I won't be carrying anything else, or large quantities, but I'm keen to hold onto a couple of boxes for similar situations while in Vietnam.

Anyone have a clear grasp of the situation? It all seems very grey-area to me.

Crossing the border with these without a prescription would be asking for serious trouble. Technically you are trafficking a controlled substance across borders in south east Asia and could be charged as such.

The last time I went from Vietnam to Cambodia by bus was in 2008 and I know they did scan bags. Whether they would care about a small amount of Valium I am not sure but keep in mind how incredibly serious the penalties are if they do happen to care.....spending years in a Vietnamese jail is not worth the risk.

My advice would be to ditch it before the border and then see what the pharmacy situation is once in Vietnam. Alternatively just pay to have an appointment with a doctor in Vietnam and get a script. It is doubtful it would be expensive.

I am happy to leave this thread open so people can comment on the exact legality of this, which I assume is that it is illegal but I can't say with 100% certainty, it sorta seems like common sense though. I suppose there is a tiny as hell chance diazepam is not restricted in Vietnam and it would not be illegal but I find this scenario highly unlikely.

There is to be no discussion about how to smuggle these medications across the border, past experiences doing so or detailing how to obtain these meds in the destination country.

^ What if someone is swimming or dreaming when doing so? (Just to clarify that that is not allowed, I thought I'd mention it. Call me a good little boy and I'll wag my tail).

Dude you've answered your question, It's Rx in Vietnam and Cambodia actually but the law is widely not given a fuck about. It should say on the pack or the leaflet to be dispensed with a doctors script.
Chances are they won't search you, but as a foreigner you will be more likely to be searched in the hope they find something so they can bribe your ass.
Most backpackers have a little stash of vals for those overnight buses , but you're playing with fire , corruption is rife in SEA and tourists are a cash cow for corrupt police. If you get caught by one of the "good" cops well I know of one guy who got 4 months in thailand for a blister of 10 5mgs.
I've crossed many a time but of course I have a script so it's not an issue, never been searched either but I've been with many who have, it's not hard to obtain a script from a doctor over there if you have a valid medical reason and that should be enough to placate border guards if they choose to search you.
It's not worth it for valium.

Cheers for the advice, guys. I figured as much. Looks like I'll have to have a couple of recreational doses before I leave the country. On a positive note, at least 15mg codeine (no paracetamol/ibuprofen) is available OTC legally in Vietnam with no problems.

Not too dire of a situation, really.

To add: Probably 100% of Zepam is bootleg here. Either buy namebrand- which has never been bootlegged here to my knowledge or leave Diazepam alone- or like me, accept the risk in using unquantifiable diazepeam (all coming from a single bootlegger who DOES actual Diazepam, a risk that is hideous). Mod: There are zero illegal Rx substances in Cambodia as there is no prescription system here. Legality is only defined by national pharmicopaea.